Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emigration to NZ

Emigration to NZ

Old Feb 9th 2004, 7:11 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
We liked Whangarei a lot and your money goes far. NZD400K will definitely get you a big patch of land and an OK house (eg 12 acres and 3 bed modern) as that's what we nearly bought, saw a few like that.

Great for gardening and agriculture.

Gateway to Northland/ Bay of Islands.

Great climate (warm all year) but wet, tho' the rain comes in big bursts not constant drizzle.

Not a bad option if job suits.

Cheers Don.

Once we sell the house and clear up our little work problem then I will go out and have a look around.

Whangarei does sound nice what with the climate ect.

Jack
Old Feb 9th 2004, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

glhall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emigration to NZ

Originally posted by model_500
Hi there,

I'm seriously giving some thought to moving away from the UK for good. It's a real wrench in many ways as I've lived in Manchester my whole 33 years and have many friends and family here. I just feel it'd be a good thing for my family though (we have a 1 year old girl and another baby on the way ) for many reasons.

I'm an IT Manager for quite a large UK firm and it seems there's a real IT shortage according to the NZ government sites. I just wondered whether you guys could help me make my mind up. I'm really after safety and a good life for my family. Looking at the cities I'm leaning towards Wellington. What's the general attitude towards people who emigrate? Are they generally welcomed?

There's obviously so much to think about - I'd also be really interested to hear about the experiences of people who've done the same thing. If you are coming to NZ as a lifestyle change then thats ok its an experience I suppose. My husband and I and our 7 kids are planning to move to Aussie for the better lifestyle thingy and job oppotunities etc. You will never be paid as well over here as u are over there in pretty much any job. My son got his A+ certification when he just turned 15 and wants to get more into programming, but he gets told to go to the UK where all the big money is. So if its a lifestyle change with resonably good money you want then I think you should probably go to Melbourne. Good Luck Catherine.
Thanks in advance for your kind replies.

Chris
Old Feb 9th 2004, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

glhall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by glhall
I stufft that one up dont know how. Read the bottom part of the above letter. Catherine
Old Feb 10th 2004, 3:35 am
Just Joined

miss brodie is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, i have lived in Wellington for the last 18 months. Neither my hubbie nor me had any problem getting jobs - him as a resaercher and me as a lawyer. i have since trained as a teacher and again have found lots of work. kiwi employers like a REALLY positive and can do attitude - or perhaps we have both been really fortunate.

i find that there is lots going on in Wellington - live music, bars, places to eat, events and so on. Cost of living is about the same as the UK when you balance costs with low wages.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want anything more specific.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:34 am
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by miss brodie
Well, i have lived in Wellington for the last 18 months. Neither my hubbie nor me had any problem getting jobs - him as a resaercher and me as a lawyer. i have since trained as a teacher and again have found lots of work. kiwi employers like a REALLY positive and can do attitude - or perhaps we have both been really fortunate.

i find that there is lots going on in Wellington - live music, bars, places to eat, events and so on. Cost of living is about the same as the UK when you balance costs with low wages.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want anything more specific.
Yes thanks for that Miss B, I think the financial issues can have an enourmous impact on a persons perception of a place and perhaps this is one of the main reasons with GD is so negative. Add various other problems and you will are bound not to have a fond memory of that place even if it looks quite idylic.

I have been offer a job in Wellington and the money is similar to what I was on a few months ago here in the UK (before my recent pay rise) so I should not be worse off. Plus we hope to take some equity when we sell (not yet though) so I hope will be able to view, without the financial perssures, Wellington for what it is.

Rob
Old Feb 21st 2004, 9:21 am
Adios UK, I'm in ChCh, NZ

DMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya all, for those of you thinking about it, you'll only ever really know by trying it.

I was living in Hampshire with my wife and our 1 year old son a year ago. We were earning great money in UK but since we had become parents, money wasn't the point anymore. The whole point of being parents for us was to give our son the best that we could. We could have given him a fair bit in the UK, as money gives you choice. We lived in a nice area which was getting more problems and we were just sick of the rat race and the constant politics that seem to just follow you around at work and home.

In November 2002 we decided whilst in Tenerife on holiday that we would do it. What the heck, go for it, we really felt we had nothing to lose, even to the point that if it didn't work out we would have spent a fair bit of money (that was recognition for you Guitar Doctor) as if it isn't for you, it will cost you, time and money.

We went for it, I'm 35 years old, and in my family I am 3rd priority. My son and wife and their happiness, safety and the chance for them and me to live in a beautiful country was worth the risk. We were fortunate that I had a good job offer, Specific Work Permit came through in 8 days and we sold our house quick and all our furniture, and cashed out of the UK with £145k.

We've been in Christchurch now for 6 weeks and everything has gone to plan so far. We've been lucky along the way, but mostly we did a lot of research and planning, used this website a lot, talked to friends and relatives and to be honest did everything we could to MAKE it work for us.

Life is so short, I'm only 35 and the years are flying by, we had nothing to lose really, money comes and goes in life, it gives you choices thats it. It doesn't buy you happiness, you don't laugh and smile when you've got money in the bank.

I'd always prefer to be happy and healthy and know in my heart that I had TRIED to do the best for my family, whether it works out or not.

If you want to know more, ask away.

Darren.
Old Feb 21st 2004, 1:41 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Great post.

Glad its working out for you and yours

Keep posting from time to time so we can see how you are getting on
Old Feb 21st 2004, 6:32 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Re cars and traffic - with my wealth of experience now having been here in New Plymouth for two days (!) - I was talking to a guy who moved down here with his family from Whangarei and he says his kids keep asking where all the cars and people are!!

Which indicates that Whangarei is a LOT more busy that NP - and NP aint busy not by a long shot - went into the shopping centre yesterday (Sat) and it was great - no big crowds or anything.
Old Feb 21st 2004, 6:36 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Pollster
Re cars and traffic - with my wealth of experience now having been here in New Plymouth for two days (!) - I was talking to a guy who moved down here with his family from Whangarei and he says his kids keep asking where all the cars and people are!!

Which indicates that Whangarei is a LOT more busy that NP - and NP aint busy not by a long shot - went into the shopping centre yesterday (Sat) and it was great - no big crowds or anything.
If you can, can you get some photos ect. and post em?

When you get time give us a full review on the place, likes/dislikes ect.

Now go to the beach :lecture:
Old Feb 21st 2004, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

K Brierley is an unknown quantity at this point

Well my family and i are in the same boat fed up with the way this place is going,in fact we ain`t that far from you, we live in Runcorn. I have lived in this dump called home for the past 39 yrs and its time to pack up and ship out.

Now unfortunately i am not in the same employ as yourself but am employed in Transport (HGV Driver), i have trawled the net for info on New Zealand you know all the usual stuff and have been quite surprised,in fact i have been able to fix up an interview over here in UK with a firm from NZ (need the sponsorship) if things go my way then hopefully will see summer out here then get to NZ for the start of theirs.

We are doin exactly like you goin and never to return. I think you have to give it a go and i mean 2-3 years not 6-12 months like some. I have a friend who lives in Christchurch and she says she won`t come back for anything.We have a young family and like you probably want to give them a better start to life than what this shithole has got to offer.

I know this has not givin you an insight to NZ but i just wanted you to know that someone who is just down the road from you is thinking on the same lines. KB
Originally posted by model_500
Hi there,

I'm seriously giving some thought to moving away from the UK for good. It's a real wrench in many ways as I've lived in Manchester my whole 33 years and have many friends and family here. I just feel it'd be a good thing for my family though (we have a 1 year old girl and another baby on the way ) for many reasons.

I'm an IT Manager for quite a large UK firm and it seems there's a real IT shortage according to the NZ government sites. I just wondered whether you guys could help me make my mind up. I'm really after safety and a good life for my family. Looking at the cities I'm leaning towards Wellington. What's the general attitude towards people who emigrate? Are they generally welcomed?

There's obviously so much to think about - I'd also be really interested to hear about the experiences of people who've done the same thing.

Thanks in advance for your kind replies.

Chris
Old Feb 21st 2004, 11:28 pm
Banned

Originally posted by K Brierley
Well my family and i are in the same boat fed up with the way this place is going,in fact we ain`t that far from you, we live in Runcorn. I have lived in this dump called home for the past 39 yrs and its time to pack up and ship out.

Now unfortunately i am not in the same employ as yourself but am employed in Transport (HGV Driver), i have trawled the net for info on New Zealand you know all the usual stuff and have been quite surprised,in fact i have been able to fix up an interview over here in UK with a firm from NZ (need the sponsorship) if things go my way then hopefully will see summer out here then get to NZ for the start of theirs.

We are doin exactly like you goin and never to return. I think you have to give it a go and i mean 2-3 years not 6-12 months like some. I have a friend who lives in Christchurch and she says she won`t come back for anything.We have a young family and like you probably want to give them a better start to life than what this shithole has got to offer.

I know this has not givin you an insight to NZ but i just wanted you to know that someone who is just down the road from you is thinking on the same lines. KB
Well good luck and hope it all works out for you

PS If you are in the Nottingham area anytime and want to off load any TV's ect give us a bell
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 3:21 am
Just Joined

miss brodie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by robernelli
Yes thanks for that Miss B, I think the financial issues can have an enourmous impact on a persons perception of a place and perhaps this is one of the main reasons with GD is so negative. Add various other problems and you will are bound not to have a fond memory of that place even if it looks quite idylic.

I have been offer a job in Wellington and the money is similar to what I was on a few months ago here in the UK (before my recent pay rise) so I should not be worse off. Plus we hope to take some equity when we sell (not yet though) so I hope will be able to view, without the financial perssures, Wellington for what it is.

Rob
Well Rob, did you take the Wellington job? On a sunny day there is nowhere more lovely than Welly in my view. Fab beaches close to the city, harbour views, relaxed cafes, lots of places to go. We find that we are spolit for choice. Have been in newtown today, an inner city area. Interesting for its different shops and curry houses. Another side to the city. Of course, you get sucked into everyday life and things can get you down. That's the difference between being on holiday and living in a place. Our recent storms have been pretty stressful, given that most people live in wooden houses with tin roofs. But then it's the difference that makes life interesting!
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 7:34 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Took me ages to read through all this thread lol nz is great hubby has a job and like others have said kiwis admire you if you have a positive can do attitude i got my job also via the internet and had my interview 3 days after we arrived. It will be great when we have our own house but agree that it cant be enjoyed until you are settled and have a base to start from.
As for cornwall ... went to st ives when my eldest son was small in 1989 and was astounded by their ignorance and intolerance of kids family etc never went again.
As for traffic we come from leeds and it was really bad but although the jams are baby jams in comparison in christchurch the roads are not as sofisticated and cannot cope so traffic still builds up.The kiwis are really bad tempered in a jam too unlike in the uk where we are used to it,I used to stick a favourite cd on and sit back and enjoy.
Havent worked out yet the regulations on emmisions and noise volumes but they must be different to the uk cos the cars are a whole lot noisier here too
Old Feb 24th 2004, 3:39 pm
Lorna Griffiths

HI Chris

You have the same idea we had about 5-6months ago. My hubby is an electrician and has a very good job, we have a 5 year old daughter & we are taking steps to live in NZ, this site has been fab & there is lots of differing advice, I would reccommend you visiting NZ before you go, My hubby is going out there in march for 2 weeks job hunting, we want a residency visa as we would like to get our daughter in their school system, and we have e-mailed his CV to many companies and consultancies to arrange interviews etc mainly in south island - do your homework on the net regarding jobs, We also subscribe to New Zealand Outlook (newspaper)which gives lots of info on jobs,immigration,seminars in the Uk,and general island living.

Best of luck to you and your family

lorna :PARTY:

Old Feb 26th 2004, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

michaela is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by model_500

Chris

What are you waiting for ???? I travelled to NZ on holiday last year and really didnt want to come home. I would suggest not moving to Wellington, its nickname is Windy Wellington and believe me when it rains it rains, is very much like Manchester. wet damp and cold.
Auckland or the North of the North Island is beautiful, very picturesque with beautiful beaches and lovely weather, The south island is very much like scotland, mountainous and beautiful. I personally loved Auckland or the Bay of Islands. There is a little town about 25mins from Auckland called Kumue and yes u can leave doors unlocked. I recommend here, ideal for kids and a growing family. If you want pictures I can email to you. Just email me first [email protected]

Good Luck

Michaela

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.