Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emigrating to Adelaide- any thoughts?

Emigrating to Adelaide- any thoughts?

Old Nov 29th 2008, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

jimhoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigrating to Adelaide- any thoughts?

Hi , we are considering migrating to Adelaide. We have travelled a lot in Oz but not visited Adelaide. Does anyone have any opions on it- positve or not? All onfo very welcome!

Thanks, Jim and Amy
Old Nov 29th 2008, 12:22 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Emigrating to Adelaide- any thoughts?

Originally Posted by jimhoe
Hi , we are considering migrating to Adelaide. We have travelled a lot in Oz but not visited Adelaide. Does anyone have any opions on it- positve or not? All onfo very welcome!

Thanks, Jim and Amy
Oh you'll get a whole mix bag of responses to a question like that!

Personally been here two years and love it! Visited other places in Oz and cant wait to get back to the antiquated, slow, quiet ways of Adelaide!
Old Nov 29th 2008, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

chrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to all

I was there bout fifteen years back, I loved it. Fairly quiet for a city which is what I liked. I think it's still pretty much the same from people I know. I would consider living there if my visa goes through. Didn't get to visit this year but I'm over again in April and will stop by then for sure. The trams were a good cheap means of travel and I used them a lot. All in all, great place.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

Me and the OH will be leaving blighty for Adelaide on Monday afternoon. I also have been all around Aussie before except parts of SA including there. So am only going on what is posted on here and also my good friend who has lived 90% of his life there.

What also attracted me to Adelaide was the fact it is a economically viable place to live out of all the other state capitals. Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane were amazing but only as a backpacker, housing etc especially in Sydney (comparable to London) was a tad pricey. I do love city life but wanting something in the middle of hustle and bustle such as those cities yet some form of tranquility at the same time. Adelaide CBD has these facets. Obviously you have the outer suburbs of all the other places in Sydney, Melbourne etc that can offer you tranquility if you wanted it but I like to live nearer to the city centre as possible. Mainly cos I'm a commuter but hope to have my driving licence soon.

From correlating all of the posts on here over the past 12 months about views and opinions of the different citys, Adelaide seems to come up trumps for friendliness.

I'm looking forward to the future, no matter what it brings!
Old Nov 29th 2008, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here for 2 and half years and I just adore Adelaide.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Suits me
Jacqui
Old Nov 30th 2008, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Hi Jim & Amy

We had done a reccie and the only place we didn't go during the reccie was Adelaide. We intended to move to Perth and changed our plans at the very last minute and took a chance on Adelaide without having seen it. Almost two years on and no regrets about coming here at all, generally found people to be really friendly, its a pretty place to live, we've got a great social life, love the fact that you do get four seasons and proper summers, had no problems getting jobs, houses that don't cost the earth, whats not to love. Depends what you are looking for, but Adelaide has a lot to offer.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Nikki
Old Dec 1st 2008, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

We were considering Adelaide, then Melbourne now it is 100% Adelaide.

Does anyone live in/near the "City of Marion" area. We are considering it as it seems central to everything and reasonably priced for renting (until we buy our B&B in the Hills, well it is a dream anyway) while we work out where we want to buy

Thanks
Michelle