Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electricity saving report

Electricity saving report

Old Aug 8th 2005, 6:41 am
Badge

Default Electricity saving report

People were talking about their costs the other day.

Our electricity at the end of Summer was a tad high and we didn't even use the pool pump much as the pool was down for a bit of it. So the jury is still out.

It will be much higher as we have a leccy fire in the bedroom since June. Anyhow, however now we have ''efficient'' 'Norwegian radiant heater slimline NOBO heaters that run at no more than 1KW max - and as they cycle, use hardly any electricity over the night just keeping the room at 15-17 degrees or so. Much cheaper to run than the older one.

Last night I found the thermostat on the water heater and turned it down to 65 from 75 degrees. Our water is bloody hot and maybe there is a save there. Can anyone tell me if I have turned it too low..

cheers

badge

Old Aug 8th 2005, 7:43 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity saving report

Originally Posted by Badge
Can anyone tell me if I have turned it too low..

cheers

badge
Do you shiver while in the shower? Then yes you probably have
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:12 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Badge
People were talking about their costs the other day.

Our electricity at the end of Summer was a tad high and we didn't even use the pool pump much as the pool was down for a bit of it. So the jury is still out.

It will be much higher as we have a leccy fire in the bedroom since June. Anyhow, however now we have ''efficient'' 'Norwegian radiant heater slimline NOBO heaters that run at no more than 1KW max - and as they cycle, use hardly any electricity over the night just keeping the room at 15-17 degrees or so. Much cheaper to run than the older one.

Last night I found the thermostat on the water heater and turned it down to 65 from 75 degrees. Our water is bloody hot and maybe there is a save there. Can anyone tell me if I have turned it too low..

cheers

badge
Badge, 60 should be adequate if you have a dishwasher, bit more if you wash up by hand.

Cheers

JJonboy
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjonboy
Badge, 60 should be adequate if you have a dishwasher, bit more if you wash up by hand.

Cheers

JJonboy
Why would you want it turned up that high if you wash up by hand? Surely you'll be adding cold water to it to make it bearable?
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:29 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by marco121068
Why would you want it turned up that high if you wash up by hand? Surely you'll be adding cold water to it to make it bearable?
there's usually heat lost over the distance the water travels through cold pipes and heat absorbtion in the sink, plates etc....

just quoting from my experience of writing/ reviewing hydraulic specifications.... but i don't want a fight about it lol!
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:53 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Badge,
Hot water supplies in Qld are not allowed to exceed 50 C that is the maximum temp setting on the tempering valve fitted to the domestic hot water systems. Setting your hot water to higher than that here is inneficient as the valve will just mix cold water into the system.
This is a copy and past from a safety in the home site.
Is your water too hot?
40° C is the recommended maximum bathing temperature for young children
50 ° C is a low risk temperature for a hot water burn
55° or 60° C is a high risk temperature for a hot water burn.
At 60 ° C it takes one second for hot water to cause third degree burns.
At 50 degrees C it takes five minutes