Reload this Page >

New to the Sunshine Coast

New to the Sunshine Coast

Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:02 am
Just Joined

melaniealden is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to the Sunshine Coast

Hi everyone!

We (my partner and I) are 24 and have just moved to the sunshine coast from Sheffield (uk). We have only been here about 4 weeks but love it already. We have managed to buy a car, get a place to stay sorted, and open a bank account without much hassle and are now starting to enjoy the sunshine.

Due to visa issues we are here on a temp 3 year student visa. My partner is having to study another degree to give us any hope of gaining permanent residency in the future. Our visas come with a no work clause until the study commences then we have to apply in Australia to work, this should allow us 20 hours a week each, wow!

So at the moment I am in a bit of limbo, with a lot of spare time on my hands, I'm working on my sun tan and reading and exploring, bit like being on holiday really! my partner has started university I'm not allowed to work until my visa comes through.

Anyway just letting you all know if any of you haven't been here and are planning to move you will love it. The people are really friendly and the coast is stunning.

I would like to know if there is anyone else out there in a similar boat to me or anyone around my age. I would just love to talk to any Brits in the same boat. I am willing to answer any questions I can too if anyone wants to know anything if they haven't left England yet?

We love beer and barbies too if anyone is interested

Mel
Old Aug 8th 2005, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Jim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really nice
Default Re: New to the Sunshine Coast

Hi Mel,

We're hoping to come to the sunshine coast sometime early next year (hopefully to coincide with schools starting after their summer).

Can I pick your brains please re staying somewhere initially before renting/buying a place? Where did you stay when you landed (I've heard of serviced apartments and wondered if you stayed in one?). Also, which area have you chosen to live in now?

I'm hoping to study in the Southport area (2 yr student visa) when we get there and husband will only be allowed to work 20hrs a week same as you.

Glad to hear that you like it already, as we've never been there before and have the occasional stomach flutter when we think about the massive lifestyle change we're undertaking.

Sus
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:06 am
Just Joined

melaniealden is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jim&Sus
Hi Mel,

We're hoping to come to the sunshine coast sometime early next year (hopefully to coincide with schools starting after their summer).

Can I pick your brains please re staying somewhere initially before renting/buying a place? Where did you stay when you landed (I've heard of serviced apartments and wondered if you stayed in one?). Also, which area have you chosen to live in now?

I'm hoping to study in the Southport area (2 yr student visa) when we get there and husband will only be allowed to work 20hrs a week same as you.

Glad to hear that you like it already, as we've never been there before and have the occasional stomach flutter when we think about the massive lifestyle change we're undertaking.

Sus
Hi Sus

When we arrived we stayed in mooloolaba backpackers in a double room which was very nice and clean and friendly and you can stay on a day to day basis. Do you have children? Not sure this is the best option for you if if do, although I think they might have family rooms.

There are hundreds of serviced apartments along the coast though, so don't think you would have any trouble finding somewhere to stay, they all look really nice. Its really quick and easy to rent somewhere over here, it only took us 6 days to start renting a place! As soon as you sign the contracts you can move in the next day and we got a 3 month lease so thought it best to rent temporary and decide exacly where we want to live in this 3 months.

I have no idea where the southport area is. For some reason I have a feeling it is on the Gold coast not the Sunshine coast I am not sure though, I could be wrong. But check out that we are talking about the same area.

Good luck
Mel
Old Aug 8th 2005, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Jim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really nice

Hi,

Yes... it's on Gold Coast (I'm brain dead this morning - just went back to work this week after 2 weeks hols!).

Yes, again, we have 2 kids, so maybe the serviced apartment option would be the one for us. Did you book your backpackers place prior to arriving or not? Would hate to arrive with nowhere to stay planned, especially with kids!

Sus
Old Aug 8th 2005, 11:25 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by melaniealden
Hi everyone!

We (my partner and I) are 24 and have just moved to the sunshine coast from Sheffield (uk). We have only been here about 4 weeks but love it already. We have managed to buy a car, get a place to stay sorted, and open a bank account without much hassle and are now starting to enjoy the sunshine.

Due to visa issues we are here on a temp 3 year student visa. My partner is having to study another degree to give us any hope of gaining permanent residency in the future. Our visas come with a no work clause until the study commences then we have to apply in Australia to work, this should allow us 20 hours a week each, wow!

So at the moment I am in a bit of limbo, with a lot of spare time on my hands, I'm working on my sun tan and reading and exploring, bit like being on holiday really! my partner has started university I'm not allowed to work until my visa comes through.

Anyway just letting you all know if any of you haven't been here and are planning to move you will love it. The people are really friendly and the coast is stunning.

I would like to know if there is anyone else out there in a similar boat to me or anyone around my age. I would just love to talk to any Brits in the same boat. I am willing to answer any questions I can too if anyone wants to know anything if they haven't left England yet?

We love beer and barbies too if anyone is interested

Mel
Hi Mel - my name is Lynn and myself and my husband Marc are coming to Brisbane on a PR visa on 31st October (we actually arrive in Brisbane on 5th Nov) this year. I am 25 and a nurse and Marc is just about to turn 27 in August - he's a design engineer in the UK!

What do you both do for a living? Good on ya for just getting on with it - should be easier to get PR when you are already in the country and especially if your partner is retraining at uni.

We haven't decided where to live yet in Brisbane but have been considering Redlands Bay area - not ruled the sunshine coast out yet. We have booked an apartment near to the city called Manahattan on Newstead apartments - they were recommended to us. They are 2 bed aparts fully A/C and the complex has a pool - we have no kids so will be perfect for us - we are hoping that 3 weeks in the apartment is enough time to find a house to rent (that will also take our dog poppy!) and move in. Poppy will be in Quarantine at 1st anyway.

Lynn