Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical Question

Electrical Question

Old Oct 24th 2004, 8:27 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Electrical Question

I found this info which seems to say that it is OK to change a plug, (at least in WA) using exemption clause (h) if it is less than 250volts.:

Part 3 - Licensing of electrical workers
Electrical work prohibited unless authorised
(1) Subject to this regulation, a person who, on or after the appointed day, carries out any electrical work commits an offence unless the carrying out of that work by that person is authorised by a licence or permit.

(2) Subregulation (1) does not apply -

(h) to the affixing of a plug, electrical appliance plug or cord extension socket to a flexible cord used or intended to be used to connect an electrical appliance to a plug socket outlet through which electricity is supplied or to
be supplied at a nominal pressure not exceeding 1,000 volts alternating current or 1,500 volts direct current; 250 volts unless carried out by a person for gain or reward or in the course of employment;

Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991 and the draft Electricity (Licensing) Amendment Regulations 2004 in a consolidated format. It has been compiled by Energy Safety for consultative use only.

This document is from an electronic database of legislation maintained by the
Parliamentary Counsel's Office of Western Australia

pdf file: http://www.energysafety.wa.gov.au/ne...ompilation.pdf

Old Oct 24th 2004, 8:53 am
Phoenixuk2oz

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond]I found this info which seems to say that it is OK to change a plug, (at least in WA) using exemption clause (h) if it is less than 250volts.: QUOTE]

So......it seems you CAN change a plug yourself

Jad n Rich: Maybe the reason they are so strict re what you can/can't do electrically is because of your contractual obligations as a builder i.e you are employed as builders not electricians?

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Oct 24th 2004 at 8:55 am.

Old Oct 24th 2004, 9:22 am
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I agree. I have always thought along the same lines, but have recently been asking about it, and hearing differing opinions. One electrician said "the plug is fixed to the wire isn't it ?"

I am sure that you are right about it being "the stuff behind the walls", but I would love to find absolute confirmation on a government website somewhere. But i'll still change all my own plugs

Please excuse me if I am incorrect, but if in britain a circuit is protected by both a plug fuse and an RCD/earth leakage trip, surely the UK is more safety conscious than the Australian legislation.
In the UK, fixed wiring refers to a fixed installation. (something that can not be easily removed) i.e. house wiring. Whereas a plug on a flex is classed as a portable appliance, and is covered under different rules.
Hopefully a sparky in oz can explain it from their angle.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Phoenixuk2oz]
I found this info which seems to say that it is OK to change a plug, (at least in WA) using exemption clause (h) if it is less than 250volts.: QUOTE]

So......it seems you CAN change a plug yourself

Jad n Rich: Maybe the reason they are so strict re what you can/can't do electrically is because of your contractual obligations as a builder i.e you are employed as builders not electricians?
Actually I personally would not act on that advice at all, one I. am in QLD not WA 2. secondly if I had just arrived from the UK then I would be working with different voltages as well as a plug change, quite a different matter entirely.

Your mission seems to be to argue you can change a plug, some people have said you can some said you cant I PERSONALLY HAVE SAID NEITHER.

What I have said is CHECK with an electrician or your insurance company. A statement I will still stand by, you dont have to do it do you? but somebody else may find my cautious approach to the australian litigation system and compliance regulations in business AND the private home worth reading.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 10:17 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
if I had just arrived from the UK then I would be working with different voltages as well as a plug change
Isn't the voltage basically the same in both countries 230/240v ?

Australian Standard Voltages - Under the standard, the voltage for household customers must be maintained between 216 volts and 253 volts. Normally, the voltage should be around 230 volts
United Kingdom household mains electricity at 240 volts

Old Oct 24th 2004, 8:12 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

[QUOTE=jad n rich]:Your mission seems to be to argue you can change a plug, some people have said you can some said you cant I PERSONALLY HAVE SAID NEITHER.QUOTE]

Actually my "mission" is to disect fact from fiction / myth from reality

This seems to beanother "scare story" fed to the Expat community which is entirely unfounded

To reiterate to anyone due to move to Aus.....

It seems from what ABCD has uncovered [LEGAL info].......you can change your own plugs in Australia

BTW Jad n rich: Spoke to my ensurers re possibility of losing insurance claim if change own plugs. They laughed

Old Oct 24th 2004, 9:33 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
BTW Jad n rich: Spoke to my ensurers re possibility of losing insurance claim if change own plugs. They laughed
I'd be very interested in getting the name of your insurers please P2oz, if they're open between 9.40pm Saturday and 6 am today they can have all my business as well most of the blokes I work with.
As to the legality of Western Australian law in QLD? well I'm not sure about that one.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 9:48 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't the voltage basically the same in both countries 230/240v ?
Yes, It's basically the same.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 9:56 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by cresta57
I'd be very interested in getting the name of your insurers please P2oz, if they're open between 9.40pm Saturday and 6 am today they can have all my business as well most of the blokes I work with.
As to the legality of Western Australian law in QLD? well I'm not sure about that one.
There you go assuming again...naughty, naughty

I asked my assurers when I took out insurance....last week!!! [when my stuff arrived]

As they hadn't heard of this problem before, I just wondered if the assurers had got it wrong, as well as my Aussie neighbours. Seems from ABCD's info.....obviously not

Old Oct 24th 2004, 10:07 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

There you go assuming again...naughty, naughty

I asked my assurers when I took out insurance....last week!!! [when my stuff arrived]

As they hadn't heard of this problem before, I just wondered if the assurers had got it wrong, as well as my Aussie neighbours. Seems from ABCD's info.....obviously not
Oh.....and the insurers name? NRMA.....QUEENSLAND!

So back to my previous question; Where does the LAW state we cannot change our own plugs without an electrician?

Hence my original question re FACT from FICTION....

Old Oct 24th 2004, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Monday morning, no laughing legal advisors at my insurance company but I was advised to refer to

Page 30 of my current home building Insurance policy.

IN RED bold type

Precautions that YOU need to take

to ensure compliance with all statuatory obligations, by-laws or regualtions imposed by any public authority, relating to the safety of persons or property.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 11:02 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Monday morning, no laughing legal advisors at my insurance company but I was advised to refer to

Page 30 of my current home building Insurance policy.

IN RED bold type

Precautions that YOU need to take

to ensure compliance with all statuatory obligations, by-laws or regualtions imposed by any public authority, relating to the safety of persons or property.
The point is....... where are those statuatory obligations, by-laws and regulations [regarding the changing of plugs] that you talk so passionatly about?

There ARE laws stating you can't change fixed electrics without electrical certificates [these are deemed by NRMA insurance as things like re-wiring the whole house].

So far there seems to be no legal evidence to suggest you cannt change your own plug in Australia

NRMA [insurance company] state it's OK to change our own plugs, Aussie neighbours ALWAYS change their own plugs, you can buy plugs in Aus and there doesn't seem to be anywhere that states it is ILLEGAL to change your own plug.

So where does it say legally you can't change your own plugs?

Old Oct 24th 2004, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

From what I understand it is new legislation. There have been too many home handymen doing botch jobs on their houses, causing many accidents and dangerous occurences. The new legislation says that only a tradesperson qualified in their particular field can do work such as electrics. I haven't paid much attention to be honest and it seems other locals haven't either.

Queenie

Ah yes. Forgot to mention. Also mentioned nul & void insurance to Aussie neighbours too. They laughed and again reiterated as far as they're concerned .......there's no such thing....

Perhaps it a matter of opinion? Maybe we need to see corresponding government legislation then we can see if it is another urban myth or not
Old Oct 25th 2004, 12:08 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by queenie
From what I understand it is new legislation. There have been too many home handymen doing botch jobs on their houses, causing many accidents and dangerous occurences. The new legislation says that only a tradesperson qualified in their particular field can do work such as electrics. I haven't paid much attention to be honest and it seems other locals haven't either.

Queenie
Hi Queenie

This is where the confusion lies maybe

There may be new legislation re major electrical work [AKA fixed electrics]...but certainly not on plug changing [deemed by insurance company as not fixed].

There is a difference between plug changing and major electrical work.

We come back to the same question;
Where does it state in AUS legislation that a plug must be done by an electrician or that it makes insurance claims nul and void if done by someone other than an electrician

Old Oct 25th 2004, 12:48 am
ABCDiamond

I've just been looking at the instructions that come with plugs, on how to fit the plug.

IF only "Qualified" Electricians are allowed to fit them, then the competency of said qualified Electricians must be in doubt by the manufacturers of the plugs. The instructions are given in laymans terms.

If the instructions are only printed to keep litigaton away, then that backfires by virtue of the fact that giving instructions in laymans terms indicates to the purchaser that "instructions are being given to people who may not know how to do it" and I think that most people would agree that a "Qualified" Electrician would NOT need instructions for a plug !

It is looking more likely that we are allowed to change plugs ourselves, but I am in the process of asking for written confirmation from my own Insurers to clarify the "Insurance Point" previously mentioned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.