Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical licences

Electrical licences

Old May 29th 2003, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

loulou74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical licences

Have just sat Theory part of electrical licencing exam which is multi-choice, based on AS/NZS wiring rules (equivalent to 16th Edition UK wiring rules). Fortunately passed this one, so am sitting the practical exam on Tuesday. Has anyone done this exam, and if so can they enlighten me of what is expected?

Cheers

Neil (Loulou's hubbie)
Old May 29th 2003, 3:13 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Electrical licences

Originally posted by loulou74
Have just sat Theory part of electrical licencing exam which is multi-choice, based on AS/NZS wiring rules (equivalent to 16th Edition UK wiring rules). Fortunately passed this one, so am sitting the practical exam on Tuesday. Has anyone done this exam, and if so can they enlighten me of what is expected?

Cheers

Neil (Loulou's hubbie)
Neil, where are you? UK or Oz. I ask because there is a company in the UK who runs these courses. I'd like to take the test before I go but I understand that it's pricey. If you're in OZ, how much did it cost and what was it like? I've already got a copy of the wiring rules. AS3000, AS3018 and AS3017. Do you know anything about the testing courses?

Thanks in advance,

Steve.
Old May 29th 2003, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by SteveBannister
Neil, where are you? UK or Oz. I ask because there is a company in the UK who runs these courses. I'd like to take the test before I go but I understand that it's pricey. If you're in OZ, how much did it cost and what was it like? I've already got a copy of the wiring rules. AS3000, AS3018 and AS3017. Do you know anything about the testing courses?

Thanks in advance,

Steve.
Steve,

Sorry to but in - does this company you refer to just do courses for electricians? I'm trying to find somewhere Mark can get his Aus welding certificates before we actually go. Idea being we'll get the Navy to pay for them

Nicola
Old May 29th 2003, 3:55 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds good, any info would be great
Old May 29th 2003, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

Thanks in advance,

Steve.
Steve

Who did you get the wiring rules from, could you give me a contact please.

Thanks
Pete
Old May 29th 2003, 10:08 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by John Howard
Steve

Who did you get the wiring rules from, could you give me a contact please.

Thanks
Pete
The wiring rules can de downloaded from the link below.
Downloading the PDF version gives you a discount for not living in Oz (No GST) and also a discount for buying the PDF version, not the hardback version. The wiring rules are called AS3000. You can also download AS3017 (Testing regs), AS3018 (Domestic regs) and loads of others.

http://www.standards.com.au/catalogu...Search&Max=15&

Happy reading!

Steve.
Old May 29th 2003, 10:10 pm
I Know What's Going On!

Originally posted by Nicstids
Steve,

Sorry to but in - does this company you refer to just do courses for electricians? I'm trying to find somewhere Mark can get his Aus welding certificates before we actually go. Idea being we'll get the Navy to pay for them

Nicola
Sorry, it is just electrical. They only come over a couple of times a year and the courses are quite expensive. Try searching the TAFE centres in OZ for the overseas courses in welding. I'm not sure if they do these but it's worth a try.

Good luck,

Steve.
Old May 30th 2003, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

Thanks in advance,

Steve.
I am in Perth. I had to submit all my qualfications and references to the licencing board which costs around $100 and $70 for the wiring rules. They then sit every two weeks and if they like what they see your application is approved. You then sit a theory exam which costs $30. Its a two part, the first being 50 questions based on the wiring rules, and the second part is 10 questions also based on the wiring rules but you have to show where you've found the answers eg regulation number. The pass mark is 60% for both. Some of the questions were quite difficult as they referred to things that I havent done since leaving college 15 years ago!! eg star delta motors etc.

You get two attempts at the theory, but if you fail you then have to do a 6month course- I think 2 evenings a week. You can still work with a permit to work licence, but have to find an employer to sign for you.

Next is the practical which is 4 hr exam and costs $110, which I am taking on Tuesday. Again I think you get two attempts.

Hope this helps. Neil
Old May 30th 2003, 7:20 am
I Know What's Going On!

Thanks Neil, that was very helpful. I didn't know you get two attempts. Star Delta Motors eh? I'd better dust of my old college books!

Thanks again,

Steve.
Old May 30th 2003, 7:53 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, it is just electrical. They only come over a couple of times a year and the courses are quite expensive. Try searching the TAFE centres in OZ for the overseas courses in welding. I'm not sure if they do these but it's worth a try.

Good luck,

Steve.
Ok. Thanks. Have found a place in Melbourne that looks promising...
Old May 30th 2003, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Neil, that was very helpful. I didn't know you get two attempts. Star Delta Motors eh? I'd better dust of my old college books!

Thanks again,

Steve.

Iwill let you know what to expect from the practical exam sometime next week. I think it involves abit of testing and inspecting.
Old May 30th 2003, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

The wiring rules can de downloaded from the link below.
Downloading the PDF version gives you a discount for not living in Oz (No GST) and also a discount for buying the PDF version, not the hardback version. The wiring rules are called AS3000. You can also download AS3017 (Testing regs), AS3018 (Domestic regs) and loads of others.

http://www.standards.com.au/catalogu...Search&Max=15&

Happy reading!

Steve.
Steve/Neil

I am qualified as a Maint electrician (multi-skilled) with HNC. Do you know what regulations apply to me and what tests i would take. Or do the above apply to me as well??

Thanks
Pete
Old May 30th 2003, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry i mean rules not regulations
Old May 30th 2003, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by John Howard
Steve/Neil

I am qualified as a Maint electrician (multi-skilled) with HNC. Do you know what regulations apply to me and what tests i would take. Or do the above apply to me as well??

Thanks
Pete
I think you may have to sit a very similar exam if not the same one but you may be classed as an electrical fitter where I am classed as an electrical mechanic (installation electrician).
Have a look at the web site below.

www.energysaftey.wa.gov.au

click electricians
go to licensing for electrians
click licensing forms
then for a fact sheet click electrical workers examinations.

Hope this helps Neil
Old Jun 1st 2003, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

GengaKev is an unknown quantity at this point

I was going to book myself on the 16th edition refresher before I go to Perth next year, my company will pay for this.
Is it relavant to the Aussie regs?. failing that I'll be dusting off the old college notes over the next few months....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.