Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Elderly visitors flying alone, anyone any experiences?

Elderly visitors flying alone, anyone any experiences?

Old May 19th 2004, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Elderly visitors flying alone, anyone any experiences?

My 89-year old gran really wants to come and visit us. She came to Perth back in 1988 so knows what to expect of the journey and isn't afraid of flying at all. My sister accompanied her at the time, but she now lives in WA too. My gran hasn't quite lost her marbles, but does get confused at times, and is very nervous about doing the flight all by herself. The thing that worries her most I think, is the connection at Singapore Airport, not being able to find the gate and missing her onward flight. She also needs to walk with a stick.

Has anyone had an elderly person come to visit them, and if so, did you use some sort of assistance service with the airline? How did it go? My gran literally wants someone to be with her every step of the way, checking-in, getting onto the plane, getting off, connecting with the next flight, waiting for baggage, going through passport control. No-one she knows can afford to fly with her for a holiday (we're paying for her ticket) so unless we can guarantee this sort of assistance, she won't come. Would be glad to hear your stories.
Old May 19th 2004, 3:06 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

I used to work for a ground handler at Birmingham International Airport.

Part of my job was to provide assistance. You can arrange through the airline and they may give you their ground handler's phone number to call to request assistance.

The level of assistance varies but you can arrange for a wheelchair from arrival that will stay with your gran to being sat in her seat on the plane. Then they will arrange the same at Singapore or wherever the stop over is and then she will get met off the aircraft at the arrival airport and delivered to say yourself with her luggage all collected for her.

They will ask if she is able to walk at all so as not to upset her by trying to carry her to the seat when she is capable of the few steps neccesary to get to the seat.

They will also assist with hand luggage getting passports checked etc..

Hope this helps. If you know the airline you could call and arrange all this for her. You will need flight number and date of travel.

It was the best part of the job assisting the elderly and unacommpanied minors.

She will also get to board the aircraft first before everyone else!!!