Ekka!

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Ekka!

Is anyone going to the Ekka show at Brissie this month?

Has anyone been before and can comment on what it is like? It sounds a load of old tosh to me and I expect the fair rides are about $5 a go, but you never know....
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 11:55 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

I was down there today doing a bit of work for a friend of a friend setting up....It seems like a huge event and looks pretty good/interesting. I'll definately be going. Fair rides are the tip of the iceberg.

I think there's a pullout guide in tomorrows paper.
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 12:04 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: Ekka!

Originally posted by tinaj

Has anyone been before and can comment on what it is like? It sounds a load of old tosh to me and I expect the fair rides are about $5 a go, but you never know....
Hi tinaJ

Mrs Dagboy or ABCDiamond are the ones to ask re this but from what I can gather its a really good family day out [I believe schools kids get the time off and nearly everyone who works in the city gets time off to go too?]

Aparently it starts early and goes on till 10pm at night?

It sounds like its the equivelant of "The great Yorkshire show" in UK i.e lots of different farming animals and animals/creatures in general......sounds a bit boring but I am assured its a really good day out.....

I have heard the rides & food there is expensive so have been informed to take own food in a cooler

Hope that's been of help?

Last edited by Phoenixuk2oz; Aug 2nd 2004 at 12:07 pm.

Old Aug 2nd 2004, 12:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

www.ekka.com.au

I'm going just cos I haven't been before!! They have woodchoppers and show bags, so thats a good start!
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ekka!

Originally posted by tinaj

Tina,

I started a thread a month ago on the same subject and Mrs Dagboy and others have posted some good information:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=240264

JTL and I will most definitely be going...

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Aug 2nd 2004, 1:49 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Dont know what its like now but my parents used to take us there when we were kids and it was fabulous. We would drive from Grafton up to Brissie and stay with my aunt and uncle for a few days, do the show and eat rubbish until we were sick. It was the only time of the year that "eating standards" were lessened, so for us kids was even better than xmas Not sure if Mum and dad enjoyed it though
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

It sounds good but I don't know if I can bear the crowds, I was warned today that it would be heaving!

There was a pull out in the paper on Sunday which listed all the different show bags and contents- unreal! There were about 30 different types ranging from $5 to $75!!
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 11:26 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

What day are you all thinking of going? We are planning on going on Saturday after talking to the girls in work - sounds like a long day. We shall stay to see the fireworks around 7.45pm. Need to think about how to get there - no doubt we will drive in.

Cheers, Dawn
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 11:50 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dmf
What day are you all thinking of going? We are planning on going on Saturday after talking to the girls in work - sounds like a long day. We shall stay to see the fireworks around 7.45pm. Need to think about how to get there - no doubt we will drive in.

Cheers, Dawn
We're heading in Saturday & will be staying til the evening ring program is finished as well.
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 12:38 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I have to go. It is the only place where I can wear my daggy Aussie hat and not look like a total tit.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 1:28 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I dug out some pictures from the last few years. Here are the crowds buying bags of crap in the showbag pavilion.
Attached Thumbnails Ekka!-showbags.jpg  
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 1:30 pm
Cheesy Member

Strange folk from the country doing odd things with sheep
Attached Thumbnails Ekka!-sheep.jpg  
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 1:33 pm
Cheesy Member

And because I know some of you care about such things, you can go and see the firemen and buy their calendar for next year. (but I only have pictures of the little DagBoys - not any of the hunky firemen - you will have to get Polly or someone to fill that need)
Attached Thumbnails Ekka!-firies.jpg  
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 1:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ah sweet! Mini-firemen!!!

The Bloke has stopped saying "been before, don't want to go again" and now says we will go on Saturday too. Gonna be full of Brits that day!
little tip from work - don't go on the Wednesday. Because everyone is off work that day, it will be packed. The weekend is reckoned to be a better deal.

I shall dig out my Aussie hat too, and buy loads of showbags to send to the UK as "Typically Aussie Christmas presents"

Now wheres the bit with the woodchopping........??
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 1:41 pm
Cheesy Member

And you can ride the Ferris wheel - for a good view of all the sideshows. The main arena is circled in yellow. The clock tower is on one of the stands, but there is banked seating all around. You can see the far side - pretty well packed. It can get so bad that they stop letting people in, so if you want good seats for the main evening events in the ring, you need to get there and bag a good place early (so you might have to sit through children dancing or woodchopping or something too). Once you are in, when it starts to get busy, they stamp your hand on the way out so you can get in again. Be warned, the seats are benches and get bloody hard after a few hours. Also, it can get quite nippy out there. I would recommend taking a blanket or rug to sit on/wrap round you - especially if you are taking kids.

There is a station in the middle of the showground (train circled in red). I think it only opens during the show and is one of the best ways to get there if you live on a suitable rail line.
Attached Thumbnails Ekka!-ferris.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.