Ekka 2004

Old Jul 5th 2004, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ekka 2004

We'll be arriving in Brisbane on August 10 and have heard that the Royal Queensland Show is on August 5-14. The description on their official site sounds great to us kids at heart...

http://www.ekka.com.au/(o0nhoo553zt1rou53gomib45)/Default.aspx

Those of you who have been to Ekka before, could you share your experience with us? What are some of the must-see's or must-do's? What's the parking situation like? Or should we just use public transport?

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Jul 5th 2004, 10:48 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs JTL, big kid at heart me loves the Ekka . Public transport is excellent especially if you have no kids. Sometimes its easier to just take the car so you can get the kids in the car quickly when they get tired rather than having to drag them to a station then a train trip, then home etc, but if you are childless (or have teenagers), then the train/bus is very good. If you drive, you can usually find a park somewhere not to far away in one of the little private carparks (ie spare pieces of land that suddenly become carparks for 10 days in Aug), usually for under $10.

I just like to wander & look at stuff including the dog pavilion & the dog obedience (Sat 7th Aug) & Pal Superdogs at lunchtime (Im a doggie person & used to do obedience, so thats why I like it ), the Agricultural College display (I am a past student, so once again biased ) & baby animal nursery next door, the Horse Expo where they showcase different breeds of horses & have demos, the diving pigs & just generally wandering around the pavillions. The ring events are my favs, including the showjumping (used to strap for one of the showjumpers, see a pattern emerging here? ), the freestyle motorcross (actually one of the guys that has been doing it for the last 4 or 5 years got killed just a couple of weeks back in a motorcross accident), the fireworks, Man from Susan River (the mans amazing) & the other general stuff that fills out the night program in the main arena. Add to that the woodchop, sheepdog trials, fashion parades & of course sideshow alley etc etc & you have enough to keep you busy for days. Make sure you try a waffle with cream, some Qld Butter Board sandwiches & a strawberry sundae & your Ekka experience should be complete .

My kids spend the whole year waiting for the Ekka to come around, when its over for another year they will start with "When the Ekka comes back next year we can go again, cant we mum?" & "Is it nearly time for the Ekka again mum?". OK OK, its not just the kids that await the Ekka eagerly . Dont even get that response from Xmas in our house .

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Jul 5th 2004 at 10:52 am.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 11:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Add to that the woodchop
Anyone told Hevs???? Hey mate, woodchoppers at work in Brissie next month!
Old Jul 5th 2004, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Mrs JTL, big kid at heart me loves the Ekka . Public transport is excellent especially if you have no kids. Sometimes its easier to just take the car so you can get the kids in the car quickly when they get tired rather than having to drag them to a station then a train trip, then home etc, but if you are childless (or have teenagers), then the train/bus is very good. If you drive, you can usually find a park somewhere not to far away in one of the little private carparks (ie spare pieces of land that suddenly become carparks for 10 days in Aug), usually for under $10.

I just like to wander & look at stuff including the dog pavilion & the dog obedience (Sat 7th Aug) & Pal Superdogs at lunchtime (Im a doggie person & used to do obedience, so thats why I like it ), the Agricultural College display (I am a past student, so once again biased ) & baby animal nursery next door, the Horse Expo where they showcase different breeds of horses & have demos, the diving pigs & just generally wandering around the pavillions. The ring events are my favs, including the showjumping (used to strap for one of the showjumpers, see a pattern emerging here? ), the freestyle motorcross (actually one of the guys that has been doing it for the last 4 or 5 years got killed just a couple of weeks back in a motorcross accident), the fireworks, Man from Susan River (the mans amazing) & the other general stuff that fills out the night program in the main arena. Add to that the woodchop, sheepdog trials, fashion parades & of course sideshow alley etc etc & you have enough to keep you busy for days. Make sure you try a waffle with cream, some Qld Butter Board sandwiches & a strawberry sundae & your Ekka experience should be complete .

My kids spend the whole year waiting for the Ekka to come around, when its over for another year they will start with "When the Ekka comes back next year we can go again, cant we mum?" & "Is it nearly time for the Ekka again mum?". OK OK, its not just the kids that await the Ekka eagerly . Dont even get that response from Xmas in our house .
That's great! Thanks for that, Mrs Dagboy! Lucky for us, with no kids, which means I get to spend it all on show bags I like! JTL will no doubt try to drag me away from all the food stalls. When he does, I'll say it's an order from Mrs D.

Hmm... waffle with cream, sandwiches and strawberry sundae, yum... What better way to celebrate our arrival? Is it Ekka yet????

Mrs JTL
Old Jul 5th 2004, 1:44 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh, the Ekka (and all shows).............
I love it! (and I'm just finished being a kid, sort of...)

We went in 2000, on our holiday. Our youth hostel was just around the corner.
I guess the station at Fortitude Valley is the closest.
Yeah, Mrs D, the show is much more fun than Xmas!

Take a look at this thread started by hevs:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=show+culture
I put some pics up from out visit to the Ekka.
Including the woodchopping
Old Jul 5th 2004, 2:24 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Simone
Ahhh, the Ekka (and all shows).............
I love it! (and I'm just finished being a kid, sort of...)

We went in 2000, on our holiday. Our youth hostel was just around the corner.
I guess the station at Fortitude Valley is the closest.
Yeah, Mrs D, the show is much more fun than Xmas!

Take a look at this thread started by hevs:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=show+culture
I put some pics up from out visit to the Ekka.
Including the woodchopping

There used to be a branch line that ran to the Exhibition. Went from Roma St to somewhere else. They close that down? 'Cos I remember going that way to get to the Ekka.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 2:30 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ulujain
There used to be a branch line that ran to the Exhibition. Went from Roma St to somewhere else. They close that down? 'Cos I remember going that way to get to the Ekka.
Still there. I think the station is only open during the Ekka though.
Trains to the Ekka depart from Roma Street, Central and Brunswick Street Stations on a 10 to 15 minute frequency. Timetables and ticket prices are available from Translink’s website or by calling Transinfo on 13 12 30. Attended Citytrain stations also sell Ekka entry tickets to help you avoid line-up on arrival.
Old Jul 26th 2004, 7:11 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

BUMP !

Just to remind people EKKA 2004 runs from 5th August
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point

I am undecided about going after hearing loads of (sometimes conflicting) thoughts of the event from people at work and from football.

It is suppossed to be great, but you need a bucket full of cash for all the bags that the kids want - I've 4 of the little treasures! Also, it's suppossed to be very packed out on all days and a good chance you come away with the flu.

Good points are suppossed to be the flying pigs and many other shows involving animals.

Steve
Old Jul 27th 2004, 10:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

And the woodchoppers!!!