Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

eek! camping up north! scared!

eek! camping up north! scared!

Old Dec 14th 2004, 10:01 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: eek! camping up north! scared!

how about an industrial sized vat of Tropical Strength RID? and, as already suggested, keep food in sealed containers (stick it in the boot of your car if you can)... we have been inundated by native mice, introduced rats etc in our tent over the years.. there's always something that wants a free dinner Not that it bothers mee... just don't like being woken up by little feet running over me.. I need by sleep!!!!!!!

and remember to take a few rolls of dunny paper... always handy...
Old Dec 14th 2004, 10:22 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

... and a short handled round mouth shovel - handy for bogs of all kinds and for frying bacon and eggs, pancakes, smiting snakes and so on. Sort of like an advanced digging stick really.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

I am interested in camping when I get there.

Surely if it's all zipped up then stuff shouldn't be able to get into your tent :scared: other than monitors / crocs of course ????

Andy.
Old Dec 14th 2004, 10:31 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: eek! camping up north! scared!

depends on how hungry the beasties are.. it's amazing what can slip through the tent door (we have a little 2 person superllight weight tent that is incredibly tiny with vestibule bit at the front) when wriggling in and out of the tent...

also there are things with teeth. They like to chew thin tent fabric!!! Guess it depends on where you camp.. some national park camping grounds are fairly basic.. and have much wildlife!! Also a bit of a bugger if you have to keep food in a backpack or something...

but camping is great it's always always been my favourite type of holiday.
Old Dec 15th 2004, 2:22 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brissiegirl

also there are things with teeth. They like to chew thin tent fabric!!!
Reminds me of camping in the south of The Netherlands. There was chewing and digging going on all night, under our matress. Was quite scary, cos it sounded so close, as if it was going to go through the tarp and tent any second. Didn't sleep much...
Next morning had a look, realised it was a mole! It was just under the tarp though, and had bitten holes in it!
Old Dec 15th 2004, 4:53 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I've camped loads in North Queensland using a bivvy and never had any probs with the local wildlife whatsoever. On a couple of occasions I could hear fairly large animals moving about just outside, but never found out what they were. I also camped by rivers which I knew to be Saltwater crocodile free as they were above falls which the crocs can't scale.

Camping in the tropical rainforest of the tablelands is magical. I was woken to a fantastic dawn chorus of Riflebirds, Catbirds, Lewin's Honeyeaters, Yellow Orioles and so much more. Brilliant!
Old Dec 15th 2004, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I've camped loads in North Queensland using a bivvy and never had any probs with the local wildlife whatsoever. On a couple of occasions I could hear fairly large animals moving about just outside, but never found out what they were. I also camped by rivers which I knew to be Saltwater crocodile free as they were above falls which the crocs can't scale.

Camping in the tropical rainforest of the tablelands is magical. I was woken to a fantastic dawn chorus of Riflebirds, Catbirds, Lewin's Honeyeaters, Yellow Orioles and so much more. Brilliant!

sounds fantastic tony, love camping just not sure id cope in oz...one step at a time as they say.
Old Dec 15th 2004, 7:09 am
Just Joined

Moodoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly, I would recommend it any time! We spent 6 months camping while 4wd'ing around Australia a few years ago and it was brilliant.

We found mossies were the main problem. Just make sure your tent has fly screens with no holes, dont sleep lying against the side of the tent else they get you through it, and take some aerosol insect spray to get the ones that sneaked in with you.

Hope you enjoy it!
Old Dec 15th 2004, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Oh bloody hell, that's it I am not going! Lizards, rats, mice, snakes, croc, mozzies, what else? :scared:

God, even my hubbie scares me when i get up in the morning let alone anything that has sharp teeth!

Do you think they can get in the car?

Mandy
Old Dec 16th 2004, 4:50 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

So thats what a bivvy is for then !

Cas
Old Dec 16th 2004, 6:38 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Lying on your back on the beach beside Lake Mackenzie on Fraser Island, adjusting your eyes to the darkness and then picking up all the shooting stars - priceless.

The only moving animal we saw was a pygmy possum - so we were told - although I am still convinced it was a rat!

Next time though, we will take something comfortable to sleep on - thin rubber mats on sand are a bugger! Not a lot of sleep that night.

Jim
Old Dec 16th 2004, 6:42 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Lying on your back on the beach beside Lake Mackenzie on Fraser Island, adjusting your eyes to the darkness and then picking up all the shooting stars - priceless.

The only moving animal we saw was a pygmy possum - so we were told - although I am still convinced it was a rat!

Next time though, we will take something comfortable to sleep on - thin rubber mats on sand are a bugger! Not a lot of sleep that night.

Jim
......... and we were also amazed at the amount of stuff the "professional" campers had with them - it was like home from home. The "lady of the tent" next door to our meagre affair swept the sand off her front "porch" every hour!!

Jim
Old Dec 16th 2004, 6:43 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Originally Posted by jimtrish
sounds fantastic tony, love camping just not sure id cope in oz...one step at a time as they say.

...... where did you find your brill avatar?!

Jim