Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Education System Compared to UK

Education System Compared to UK

Old Aug 27th 2012, 9:04 am
Just Joined

renuka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Education System Compared to UK

How good is the secondary education system comparatively to UK. I have 2yr old looking to move to OZ, I know primary education is not big worry. UK secondary schools are advanced on the other hand kids behaviour in secondary schools is bad. That is one of my reasons to leave UK. Any advice pls?
Old Aug 27th 2012, 9:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education System Compared to UK

Originally Posted by renuka
How good is the secondary education system comparatively to UK. I have 2yr old looking to move to OZ, I know primary education is not big worry. UK secondary schools are advanced on the other hand kids behaviour in secondary schools is bad. That is one of my reasons to leave UK. Any advice pls?
No offence but that's a very odd reason to move out of the UK (I realise you say you have other reasons). Kids are kids the world over and first world kids are no different to other first world kids. You can't compare high schools between the two countries just as you can't compare high schools in the same town/county/state etc. Each school is different, each child is different. What is a brilliant school for one kid could be the worse school in the world for another.

You say UK schools are advanced. Advanced against what? Toxteth High is a totally different kettle of fish compared to Westminster High. (made up names but you get my drift).

The High School my eldest went to for just over a year in the UK is much the same as the one both girls have gone to here. Had we moved to a different suburb/state, that might have been different or been the same. Yes there are crap schools in Aus. There are everywhere else as well.

Also, with the greatest of respect it's almost impossible to get a true picture of high schools and high school students when you only have ankle biters. What is a good school now could be crap in 10 years time and visa versa.

All I will say with any degree of certainty is that the system is different here to the UK but then it's different from state to state as well.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Well, as Moneypenny has correctly said - kids are kids the whole world over and if you are aiming for better behaviour in high school perhaps you should be looking at China, Korea, Japan etc. Aussie HS kids are much the same as UK HS kids and there is going to be bullying, drug use, self harming, underage pregnancies etc along with academic and sporting brilliance just as there is in UK high schools. Chances are you would choose a private education in Aus just like a good proportion of Aussie parents do (in some places, like ACT for example it is close to 50%).
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renuka
In Australia, like the UK and most western countries, kids turn out of high school pretty much the same
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been very impressed with the demeanour of my kids' friends. They seem more grown-up to me.

Although my daughter said there was a lack of discipline in some of her classes, which spoilt the learning experience. She went to a public (gov't) school in Melbourne's eastern suburbs. I didn't realise this, but wife informed me that they don't stream here, which could be part of the problem.

Son goes to Melbourne High and any disruption is usually a spirited disagreement with the teacher!
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ebo1608
I didn't realise this, but wife informed me that they don't stream here, which could be part of the problem.
Yes, I didn't realise this either until after our 3 started school here. They had been streamed in their excellent UK primary school. Although some schools here have some "Extension" classes I don't think it is as effective as streaming all students for all classes.

Fortunately all 3 of ours have been able to move onto selective schools which has been excellent.

HTH