Education

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

smithfield22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Education

Hi, we are moving to Adelaide in September with two children. My 9 year old is quite bright and I am concerned about the feedback on the schools. Is it right that they are two years behind and what is the best advice. Do you put them behind or up a year? (but not with same age). Is the education good though? Do we need to take all their records from UK school with us?
Thanks for any replies!!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Education

Originally Posted by smithfield22
Hi, we are moving to Adelaide in September with two children. My 9 year old is quite bright and I am concerned about the feedback on the schools. Is it right that they are two years behind and what is the best advice. Do you put them behind or up a year? (but not with same age). Is the education good though? Do we need to take all their records from UK school with us?
Thanks for any replies!!
The education system is inherently different but different doesn't always mean worse - or better.

At secondary level education is skills rather than knowledge based (as in UK).

There are some excellent schools - state and private in SA - as there are in the UK.

Bezza
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by smithfield22
Thanks for any replies!!
Yes take their records and try to find the school that is interested in looking at them. I think its best to keep kids with their own age group. It matters more as they get older- in teenage years. Look for a school that offers extension programmes if your kid is bright. It can make such a difference.
Education is different here. We were unhappy with the first school our son went to and moved him after a year. The new one is great and all we would want from a school. My philosophy is that different schools suit different kids. The first just didn't work academically or socially- the new one is great. Be flexible, open minded and go with it. We gave the first school a year to work out but are so happy that we moved. Good luck

Ali
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

smithfield22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AliMay
Yes take their records and try to find the school that is interested in looking at them. I think its best to keep kids with their own age group. It matters more as they get older- in teenage years. Look for a school that offers extension programmes if your kid is bright. It can make such a difference.
Education is different here. We were unhappy with the first school our son went to and moved him after a year. The new one is great and all we would want from a school. My philosophy is that different schools suit different kids. The first just didn't work academically or socially- the new one is great. Be flexible, open minded and go with it. We gave the first school a year to work out but are so happy that we moved. Good luck

Ali
Thanks for the info - didn't know about extension programmes but will certainly look for a school with one - just going to look on the web now.