Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When to sell house

When to sell house

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of
Smile When to sell house

Hiya,

We have only just passed the TRA stage and I know that we have still got a long way to go.

I was just wondering (for future reference and because I am getting excited) at what stage did you think it was safe to put your house up for sale - I have quite a bit of decorating and sorting out to do so I need to plan ahead!

Cheers

Jo
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to sell house

Originally Posted by joeyb
Hiya,

We have only just passed the TRA stage and I know that we have still got a long way to go.

I was just wondering (for future reference and because I am getting excited) at what stage did you think it was safe to put your house up for sale - I have quite a bit of decorating and sorting out to do so I need to plan ahead!

Cheers

Jo

Well I wish I'd put mine on the market 6 months ago, cos now I've got the visa but can't go until I've sold. It's quite frustrating.

Although the housing market round here seems to be moving pretty quick at the moment, so hopefully it won't take too long.

Start looking at what's for sale in your area, how long they are on the market for etc. It also depends on your situation. What would you do if you sold before your Visa grant? etc.

It's a tough decision, that only you can really make.

I wish you good luck with it and hope you don't wait for your TRA too long
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:40 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya,

Cheers

Jo

We're putting ours on 1st March, mainly because although houses are selling in our area, they are not flying off the shelf!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 9:22 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya,

Cheers

Jo
there are a lot of threads at the moment about selling early or not. The jury is still out with about a 50/50 vote. I think you need to look at a lot of factors.

how are houses selling in your area.
is your house going to sell easily (attractive, good position, s***hole etc)
if you get an offer, are you prepared to live in rented accomodation if needed
etc etc

there was also a poll recently as well, which might help. Do a quick search and you should find oodles of info.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

STEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud ofSTEVE&TERRI has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by furkew
there are a lot of threads at the moment about selling early or not. The jury is still out with about a 50/50 vote. I think you need to look at a lot of factors.

how are houses selling in your area.
is your house going to sell easily (attractive, good position, s***hole etc)
if you get an offer, are you prepared to live in rented accomodation if needed
etc etc

there was also a poll recently as well, which might help. Do a quick search and you should find oodles of info.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hi we sold our house ,as soon as we passed the TRA, and thought that even if we did not get our visa we would just buy another house,we still have not got our visa but it should not be long .We will not be stuck with the house when our visa comes .We will move to Australia straight away.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

cj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant future

Hiya,

Cheers

Jo
We put our house up 4 months after our main application (not front loaded) went in, houses are selling well here and we had an offer after two weeks which we accepted. Had medicals done the next day so hopefully it should all tie in nicely with us getting the visa.

We made it clear to viewers that we would not be going into rented accommodation and would want a month between exchange and completion to sort our flights, shippers etc. We are not going to sign any contract till we get the visa just in case anything goes wrong with the visa. If you make it clear to people they should be ok.

It can depend on lots of factors such as how well houses are selling and how long your chain is going to be. You need to think it out carefully it must be awful to have the visa and be going nowhere because you have a house to sell, its stressful enough.

Good luck with whatever your decide.
Cath
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

MJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya,

Cheers

Jo

We have got our visa,so will put house up for sale asap
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 10:28 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya,

Cheers

Jo
Depends on
1. how sure you are that you are going to get the visa
2. How much you love your house

But if you can handle having to buy again if you don't get the visa then I'd get it on the market as soon as possible and move in to rented when it sells. That way you don't have the added stress of selling a house (and possible validation trips) when you do want to go, plus it's so much easier organising shipping etc when you can have an exact date well in advance (you know when your lease will end or how much notice to give!).

Thats my 2p worth

Martyn
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 7:21 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya,

Cheers

Jo
We started the whole process in 2001 and we said all along that we would not put our house on the market until we had our visas in our hands. We love our house and want to stay here as long as possible. We got our visas in November 2005 and plan to leave in August this year. We are currently having the house decorated with a view to putting it on the market at the end of March. We live in a sought after road where houses very rarely come onto the market so in theory our house should sell fairly quickly. We do want our house to sell but not too soon.

ACE
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

get it sold asap and move into rented if you need to

the most stresssful thing of our whole move here was selling the house in the UK which we didnt do until we had been here for 5 months it was a nightmare !!
good luck and enjoy the excitement it really is worth it Mary
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya,

Cheers

Jo

thats a difficult one because there are people on here who have sold within days and then there are the likes of me who put house on the market last july and have only just agreed a sale!! all i can say is look at what is happening with sales in your area. if houses have been on the market forever and a day then get it on now!!