Education

Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:12 pm
washvac

Smile Education

Should Be Ready To Go In April/may But My Son Is Due To Do His Gcse In June.we Need To Go Asap As We Have Jobs Waiting But Should We Hold Out For Him To Do Them First Or Shall We Go.any Idea What Year He Would Go Into On Arrival

Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education

I would say hold on, partly out of respect for the work he has done but also to enable him to have the chance to see out his school year. You should be able to get an exact timetable of exams from the school so you wont have to wait til the end ofthe school year! Good luck whatever you decide

Lisa
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by washvac
Should Be Ready To Go In April/may But My Son Is Due To Do His Gcse In June.we Need To Go Asap As We Have Jobs Waiting But Should We Hold Out For Him To Do Them First Or Shall We Go.any Idea What Year He Would Go Into On Arrival
It is dependent on where you are going and how your son feels. We have moved to Victoria and I would say that in your situation I would go unless your son is dead set against it. Our 16 year old has just finished his year 10 here and will start year 11 in a few weeks, the year 10 exams in Victoria aren't that important and most schools would accept your son's predicted grades as an idea of his abilities for making year 11 and 12 choices. There are no real equivalent to GCSEs here and most companies and schools are only really interested in the VCE or equivalent results which are year 11 and 12. I am happy that our son has had a chance to get the measure of the school system before starting the years that will decide his future here.
Good luck with whatever you decide, I would base my decision on whether I see my families future in Australia as if you do then the more time your son has to settle before year 11 the better.
Nicky
Old Jan 5th 2006, 9:03 am
washvac

Originally Posted by NickyP
It is dependent on where you are going and how your son feels. We have moved to Victoria and I would say that in your situation I would go unless your son is dead set against it. Our 16 year old has just finished his year 10 here and will start year 11 in a few weeks, the year 10 exams in Victoria aren't that important and most schools would accept your son's predicted grades as an idea of his abilities for making year 11 and 12 choices. There are no real equivalent to GCSEs here and most companies and schools are only really interested in the VCE or equivalent results which are year 11 and 12. I am happy that our son has had a chance to get the measure of the school system before starting the years that will decide his future here.
Good luck with whatever you decide, I would base my decision on whether I see my families future in Australia as if you do then the more time your son has to settle before year 11 the better.
Nicky
thanks for that.can you tell me what year my son would be in now in australia he is 16 in june.By the way we are moving to queensland

Old Jan 5th 2006, 9:12 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that.can you tell me what year my son would be in now in australia he is 16 in june.By the way we are moving to queensland
He'll start year 11 this year. My son is 16 in April & he goes back to school & into yr 11 on the 24th Jan.....after a whopping 8+ weeks off. His last day at school was 23rd Nov!!!!!
Old Jan 5th 2006, 10:00 am
washvac

Originally Posted by artep
He'll start year 11 this year. My son is 16 in April & he goes back to school & into yr 11 on the 24th Jan.....after a whopping 8+ weeks off. His last day at school was 23rd Nov!!!!!
Sorry to bother you again but do you feel that may is to long in the year 11 for my son to settle or do you think that he will be ok with the work.IS the main important year 12 he is bright and works hard but 4 months work in uk would be a lot to expect him to catch up on.is there work in year 11 the same as our year 11 or is it more like 6th form.Icant work out if australia year is behind or in advance Thanks for your time and replies as this is our only concern

Old Jan 5th 2006, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

As a former qualified secondary school teacher (UK qualified) now living in Sydney I would say let your son sit his exams with an minimum of distraction. Oz is quite inward looking when it comes to overseas qualifications but that is not a good reason for you son to miss out on them. After all he may not wish to spend all of his life in Australia and if you did move back to the UK, his qualifications who be an asset to him.

Good luck

Ian

Sorry to bother you again but do you feel that may is to long in the year 11 for my son to settle or do you think that he will be ok with the work.IS the main important year 12 he is bright and works hard but 4 months work in uk would be a lot to expect him to catch up on.is there work in year 11 the same as our year 11 or is it more like 6th form.Icant work out if australia year is behind or in advance Thanks for your time and replies as this is our only concern
Old Jan 5th 2006, 10:20 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW I reckon if it was me I'd get him out here asap, especially if he wants to go to uni, as he needs an OP score to qualify.

If you wait for him to do his GCSE's & then bring him out to go to school here, 4 months worth of work is a lot to catch up on. On the other hand though, Yrs 11 & 12 aren't compulsory, so maybe it might be beneficial for your lad to stay & do his GCSE's then when you get here he could go to TAFE (college) or get an apprenticeship.

A lot depends really on what he wants to do in the future.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 10:50 am
washvac

Smile Re: Education

Originally Posted by artep
FWIW I reckon if it was me I'd get him out here asap, especially if he wants to go to uni, as he needs an OP score to qualify.

If you wait for him to do his GCSE's & then bring him out to go to school here, 4 months worth of work is a lot to catch up on. On the other hand though, Yrs 11 & 12 aren't compulsory, so maybe it might be beneficial for your lad to stay & do his GCSE's then when you get here he could go to TAFE (college) or get an apprenticeship.

A lot depends really on what he wants to do in the future.

Hope this helps.
Now i am really confused.We have no plans to return to uk and my son would like to become a sport coach pref;soccer in australia so any ideas what to do with this extra information i have given

Old Jan 5th 2006, 10:57 am
....is FAB

Now i am really confused.We have no plans to return to uk and my son would like to become a sport coach pref;soccer in australia so any ideas what to do with this extra information i have given
Not sure what he'd need to become a sport coach....maybe someone else knows. All I know is here in oz you need a certificate to fart