Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Easy entry to aus

Easy entry to aus

Old May 19th 2004, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

slilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Easy entry to aus

Did you watch program on bbc2 last night, buy 40k of govement bonds to enter aus.
Old May 19th 2004, 12:57 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default Re: Easy entry to aus

Originally posted by slilly
Did you watch program on bbc2 last night, buy 40k of govement bonds to enter aus.
typical bbc research at a guess but i think they were referring to the bond investment thingy to get the extra 5 points. I'd love to be corrected if i'm wrong though!
Old May 19th 2004, 12:59 pm
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by slilly
yeah, but the $100K only gets you five points. you still need to find the other 115 and pass all the criteria.
Old May 19th 2004, 1:49 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by flying dutchman
yeah, but the $100K only gets you five points. you still need to find the other 115 and pass all the criteria.
But is it true that you can get in without the points if you have some considerably bigger sum of money, like $1M?

Mark
Old May 19th 2004, 3:00 pm
Whinging pom.

costabeera is an unknown quantity at this point

No. You cannot buy your way in.

The only route if you have loads of money would be to go on a 457 visa and start your own business. You would need to reach a certain turnover within x period of time (12 months I think) and employ two Australians. If these conditions are not met your visa would be cancelled and you'd be on a plane home.

You would also still need to pass the usual medical and Police checks.
Old May 19th 2004, 3:09 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by costabeera

The only route if you have loads of money would be to go on a 457 visa and start your own business. You would need to reach a certain turnover within x period of time (12 months I think) and employ two Australians. If these conditions are not met your visa would be cancelled and you'd be on a plane home.

when i was back in the uk i watched some programe where this guy had a fishing boat. he had to employ only one australian and make $150000 per year or he was out on his neck. he was rotten at it and his wife started to sell wigs. she did really well and the both started to race. i think she made the first $100000.
never did find out how they got on though?
Old May 20th 2004, 11:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite - there are investor visas for those with a lot of money. Information is on the DIMIA site under business skilled.

You start with a temp visa, if you keep the money in place for 4 years (if I remember correctly) and meet some other requirements you can move on to PR.

Jeremy

Originally posted by costabeera

Old May 20th 2004, 11:45 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JAJ
Not quite - there are investor visas for those with a lot of money. Information is on the DIMIA site under business skilled.

You start with a temp visa, if you keep the money in place for 4 years (if I remember correctly) and meet some other requirements you can move on to PR.

Jeremy
It would have to be a lot more than £40K though.

What is the amount Jeremy?

Just curious now the subject has been raised.

G
Old May 20th 2004, 12:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

For state sponsored, it's a minimum investment of AUD750k. One needs to be worth more than that, and meet a range of other requirements too (including having more funds than just the investment, and having experience managing a business or investments).

Requirements for non-state sponsored investor visas are higher.

Non state sponsored investors must be under 45, state sponsored investors must usually be under 55.

It's all in the Business Migration booklet:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/books7.htm

Jeremy

Originally posted by Grayling
It would have to be a lot more than £40K though.

What is the amount Jeremy?

Just curious now the subject has been raised.

G
Old May 20th 2004, 12:11 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Easy entry to Australia? Easy, be an Australian to begin with. Works for me.
Old May 20th 2004, 2:16 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by Ulujain
Easy entry to Australia? Easy, be an Australian to begin with. Works for me.
there's always a smart arse out there..... lucky sod.
Old May 20th 2004, 8:36 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Invest in the government in power and you'll be pretty sure to get in. I am not joking.
Old May 20th 2004, 8:45 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Invest in the government in power and you'll be pretty sure to get in. I am not joking.
Works anywhere that doesn't it? Remember the Hindujah brothers and Peter Mandelson?
Old May 20th 2004, 8:47 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by wmoore
Works anywhere that doesn't it? Remember the Hindujah brothers and Peter Mandelson?
Yep. Corrupt bastards the lot of them. Difference is Mandelsohn became so unpopular he was replaced. Ruddock is still in government.
Old May 20th 2004, 8:52 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Yep. Corrupt bastards the lot of them. Difference is Mandelsohn became so unpopular he was replaced. Ruddock is still in government.
Much like most MEP's.
I stick by my view of "all politicians are scumbags". Somebody clever (can't remember who) once said that the people who actually want to be in power are the very people who should never be given any. How true.