Reload this Page >

Ahhhhhhh, perhaps a trunk ?

Ahhhhhhh, perhaps a trunk ?

Old May 20th 2004, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough
Default Ahhhhhhh, perhaps a trunk ?

Whilst sat upon the throne last night contemplating another dimension to our ongoing turmoil ( how do we get what little junk we have to aus ) i came across a fantastic ( at least i thought so at the time ) idea, buy a trunk, perhaps two and ship / fly them over..............GREAT !, dead chuffed....................but, where do you get them from, how much do they cost and how much does it cost to send them..................?

There's a moral in this story, whilst thinking about a single question i came upon a single answer, that however has turned into 3 more questions and hence we go on and on and bloody on................forever.

Stressed.

Paul
Old May 20th 2004, 7:37 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ahhhhhhh, perhaps a trunk ?

Originally posted by Paul&Ann-Marie
i came across a fantastic ( at least i thought so at the time ) idea, buy a trunk, perhaps two and ship / fly them over..............
Paul, I work in a posh school with kids from all over the world and see these trunks at the start and end of every school year but had never even thought of that. Good idea (though I'm not sure I needed the details of its conception ).
Anyhoo, I'm not at work tomorrow (at the York emigration fair) but I'll send an email to a couple of the matrons to see if they know. If they do I'll post back here on Sunday / Monday (got a big weekend in York planned with a mate while I'm there ).
Old May 20th 2004, 7:38 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

but, where do you get them from, how much do they cost and how much does it cost to send them..................?

Paul
You'd have to ask an elephant (sorry!)

There's a company near to us that has old teachests for sale, perhaps you could find some of those to use, they'd be pretty good I reckon!??
Old May 20th 2004, 7:44 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Whilst sat upon the throne last night contemplating another dimension to our ongoing turmoil ( how do we get what little junk we have to aus ) i came across a fantastic ( at least i thought so at the time ) idea, buy a trunk, perhaps two and ship / fly them over..............GREAT !, dead chuffed....................but, where do you get them from, how much do they cost and how much does it cost to send them..................?

There's a moral in this story, whilst thinking about a single question i came upon a single answer, that however has turned into 3 more questions and hence we go on and on and bloody on................forever.

Stressed.

Paul
Put your stuff in whatever you like, you'll still pay according to the volume, ie square meterage.

The trunk idea is all well and good, but if two men can't lift it you may have problems. The removal companies prefer
man-handleable boxes.

BTW 3 m2 cost about 750 GBP with insurance.
Old May 20th 2004, 7:52 pm
ceinwen

Ive seen them in good luggage shops .
We are London based so John Lewis or selfridges ????
Wish all our stuff fitted in 2 trunks still cant believe hubbie wants a 40 ft container :scared:

Old May 20th 2004, 9:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Mover might have info on this, but I remember being told to avoid tea-chests as they often been filled with sawdust or woodchips for previous packing.
Old May 20th 2004, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

We've just got a quote for air-freight from John Mason. Door-to-door, including packing and customs clearance, Kent to Gold Coast, up to 300kg/1.3cu m £1350.
A trunk would be heavy and probably add to the cost of shipping. Better to get hold of custom packing materials or have shippers do the packing.
We're sending 2 computers, loads of files and excess baggage 2 months after our main shipment went in a 40ft container.

Lesley
Old May 20th 2004, 9:12 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
Mr Mover might have info on this, but I remember being told to avoid tea-chests as they often been filled with sawdust or woodchips for previous packing.
I thought that was what passed for tea

G
Old May 20th 2004, 9:15 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Stressed.

Paul
normally stuff is packed into 40KG tea chests. The shipping company should provide you with the boxes. They are a standard size. 40kgs is probably an OH&S issues. Look on one of the excess baggage web sites.