Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

East V West which is best?

East V West which is best?

Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

tequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nice
Default East V West which is best?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and would like to ask a couple of I hope easy questions. We have been looking at moving to Aus for a time now, as we are fed up in the UK of the 60 hour weeks, no sun etc. We are laos about to have a little girl due in three weeks. I would like peoples views on:

Crime: Is it bad and is it worse in the east or the West, I know it's big country, but as general rule?
Work: Is there more East or West? Manufacturing management.

We are looking for a relaxing atmosphere with great weather and somewhere safe to bring up our baby. Suggestions greatfully received for areas.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:13 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: East V West which is best?

Welcome to the forum.

It doesn't really work like that. You couldn't say that the north or south of the UK has more or less crime - it's everywhere.

Manufacturing wise - again, hard to say. Depends on your profession and field.

The forum works really well at answering specific questions. Asking how long is a piece of string type questions gets rubbish answers (like this one! ).

GG

Originally Posted by tequila
Hi, I'm new to the forum and would like to ask a couple of I hope easy questions. We have been looking at moving to Aus for a time now, as we are fed up in the UK of the 60 hour weeks, no sun etc. We are laos about to have a little girl due in three weeks. I would like peoples views on:

Crime: Is it bad and is it worse in the east or the West, I know it's big country, but as general rule?

We are looking for a relaxing atmosphere with great weather and somewhere safe to bring up our baby. Suggestions greatfully received for areas.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

tequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nicetequila is just really nice

but thanks all the same!
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:27 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

If you've not already discovered it, the search feature is a handy old tool for the site. There's an awful lot of rubbish, but some truly useful links, insights, views and accounts of first hand experiences. Can be really helpful trying to refine your ideas.

but thanks all the same!
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

There's very little manufacturing in WA
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Hello

If you are looking at Manufacturing, probably Melbourne / Victoria as a general rule more there than anywhere else. Not absolute obviously, just more.

You will probably also find if you ask any Australian where ever they are from is best, lowest crime rate, best schools, best weather (ie, a Melbournian will say too hot in Queensland, and full of Queenslanders etc)

Search some of the job sites if this is your main priority, ie www.seek.com.au has some 155 jobs in Production Management in most states (more in NSW & Victoria)

Good luck
Old Aug 18th 2005, 12:03 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY

You will probably also find if you ask any Australian where ever they are from is best, lowest crime rate, best schools, best weather (ie, a Melbournian will say too hot in Queensland, and full of Queenslanders etc)

Good luck
Isn't Queensland where all the old people go to serve out their remaining years???

Old Aug 19th 2005, 1:21 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Isn't Queensland where all the old people go to serve out their remaining years???

I thought that was what Tasmania was for
Old Aug 19th 2005, 3:19 am
wombat42

By West do you mean living in Perth?. WA is mostly a mining state, Melbourne and Sydney have manufacturing. Regarding Crime, crime in Perth would be about the same level as any other OZ city similar in size such as Brisbane or Adelaide. Tasmania has the lowest crime rate in OZ and Victoria the second lowest rate. The crime rate in OZ is about the same as Canada and most northern European countries, but 4 times lower then the USA.
Last year there were 252 murders in OZ a record low, compare that to 32,000 murders in South Africa last year. The Crime rate in OZ has been falling in recent years due to a stronger economy and longer prison sentances and locking more criminals up.

Last edited by wombat42; Aug 19th 2005 at 3:27 am.