Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ease of finding work

Ease of finding work

Old Jan 30th 2014, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

SteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud of
Default Ease of finding work

Long time since I last posted. I've put my WHV plans on hold while I save some funds but I'm still having a look now and again.

Anyhow, as the thread title suggests - how easy is it to get work? There's a lad on site who went over and said that the WHV's pretty much 'walk into a job'. He got a job putting office furniture together. Not the most glamorous of jobs but it's a job. I wouldn't be too fussy as long as it aint retail or call centres (I have a short fuse at times and my broad Yorkshire accent isn't really ideal for the phones - and my Indian accent is poor )

I'm not the most 'spontaneous' of guys. I like to know what I'm doing and where I'm going. If I know it's easy enough to get work it'd make me feel a bit more at ease with the venture.

Cheers for any replies.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 9:20 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ease of finding work

It has certainly become harder in recent times, most jobs being created seem to be temporary or part time and unemployment trending up. It also depends very much on area, like anywhere some places are worse than others. There will always be work and if you are just looking at earning enough money to live you should be fine, being on a WHV it doesnt matter that the work is temporary of course. I will just reiterate that times have changed.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteelCityBrickie
(I have a short fuse at times and my broad Yorkshire accent isn't really ideal for the phones - and my Indian accent is poor )
Hahaha!

But you have a good sense of humour and you don't take yourself too seriously, whilst these traits won't necessarily get you a job, they will certainly help you keep one!

Good look pal! Where there is a will there is a way!
Old Jan 30th 2014, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

SteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud ofSteelCityBrickie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Hahaha!

But you have a good sense of humour and you don't take yourself too seriously, whilst these traits won't necessarily get you a job, they will certainly help you keep one!

Good look pal! Where there is a will there is a way!
Haha thanks! You're right - I don't take myself too seriously. Best way to be. In the right time and place anyway.

As I said, I like to know what I'm getting into. I keep getting opposite messages. I've had the first reply on here telling me things have changed but then I've been in touch with a lad who says it's easy!

Someone on here in October told me I'd need upwards of £20k to sort mi sen out. This other lad out there says he's gone out with less than £5k and is doing fine.

I don't like the idea of paying $12 for a beer though :s
Old Jan 30th 2014, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Haha thanks! You're right - I don't take myself too seriously. Best way to be. In the right time and place anyway.

As I said, I like to know what I'm getting into. I keep getting opposite messages. I've had the first reply on here telling me things have changed but then I've been in touch with a lad who says it's easy!

Someone on here in October told me I'd need upwards of £20k to sort mi sen out. This other lad out there says he's gone out with less than £5k and is doing fine.

I don't like the idea of paying $12 for a beer though :s

I think you just need to save as much as you can and just go for it! I take it you're young, free and single, if that's the case you have nothing to lose.

There's bound to be work in the cities, you said you'd give near enough any job a go, so put yourself out there, talk to people ( Queens English otherwise they won't have a bloody clue what you're talking about trust me I know )

You could house share or buy a cheap shed of camper to begin with, just go with the flow, you'll be fine.

By the way things have calmed down rather a lot where construction is concerned, we have friends in WA who are in that field but it doesn't mean you won't find any work at all. I think you just need to be prepared to take on any job to begin with, no matter how crap.

Sometimes I think people can over complicate things, if you are determined to make it work you will.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Around $4.50 a schooner (three quarters of a pint) hereabouts at Clubs and many ordinary pubs.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

$12 for a beer?? $5 a schooner or a pot is average for us!
Old Jan 31st 2014, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
$12 for a beer?? $5 a schooner or a pot is average for us!
Mate has just come back from Melbourne and said he was paying our equivalent of £7 a time. That's where I've got my figure from. If they're wrong they're wrong. No biggie.

3/4 pints? And I thought you Aussie's were known for your big drinking Snakebite and black in a pint pot please.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 6:44 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Mate has just come back from Melbourne and said he was paying our equivalent of £7 a time. That's where I've got my figure from. If they're wrong they're wrong. No biggie.

3/4 pints? And I thought you Aussie's were known for your big drinking Snakebite and black in a pint pot please.
If you drink the local brew it's about $3.00 for a pot [1/2 pint] & $4.50 for a schooner [3/4 pint]
If you want to drink pints of Bulmer's, Guinness, Tetley's or Stella expect to pay in excess of $10.00 a pint most of the time, sometimes $12.00 in the cities.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Because most beer is served at -1 degrees C it's traditionally served in smaller glasses so it doesn't warm up. Victoria didn't have anything bigger than half pints until about ten or twelve years ago. Now many pubs will sell you a pint of anything. However avoid the Stella, Guinness etc mentioned above, it's brewed in Queensland. Good range of real ales now appearing around the place.