Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Early years education

Early years education

Old Apr 17th 2006, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Early years education

for those of you interested in primary education and the feeling that Australia is somewhat behind the UK I thought this was an interesting article...

Teachers want play-based learning

Delegates say playtime is "crucial"
Delegates at the National Union of Teachers conference say children learn through play.
They have expressed concern at research showing youngsters miss out on imaginative play "because of the demands of the curriculum" in England.

But the government says it also believes play is a valuable education and learning tool for younger children.

Many countries start formal education at a much later age than in England and Wales, delegates say.

They also complain about:

pressures for more formal teaching from age five

playing fields being sold off

lack of space in schools for play areas in classrooms

lack of after-school opportunities

fewer opportunities for informal play during the school day

limited play for teachers, too, due to "the lack of a proper work-life balance"

The resolution argues that play "has a crucial role for all, children and adults alike".

There is also a call for play policies in every local authority.

Other delegates are complaining that central government is keen to promote and fund electronic whiteboards in schools - but not home corners and sand and water trays.

The resolution is relatively unusual for a teachers' conference, and in a way supplants the routine demand for the abolition of national curriculum tests for children.

Self-harm

A spokesman for the Department for Education and Skills (DfES) said every organisation that wanted to succeed set targets - that was why national tests, targets and performance tables were important.

"The DfES believe that learning through play has a valuable role in education and learning for younger children," he said.

"Much of their education will be play based and will be about providing the experiences and activities they need to develop, grow and learn."

The government agrees more learning could be play-based

But the NUT leadership is not convinced, and backs the grassroots concerns.

General secretary Steve Sinnott said there was "increasing evidence of the damage to children's health and well-being" - with more self-harm among teenagers.

All policymakers ended up demanding more from the education system, he said.

"They start off by saying we need to free up schools - and by the end they are specifying things which reduce time for play."

Nursery schools

He has also expressed alarm at changes to government early-years guidance for England.

This would have the effect of reducing the number of qualified teachers in state nursery schools and nursery classes within primary schools.

The government says the union is missing the point.

Its aim is to have graduate-level professionals who have been trained specifically to work with very young children - which it says the early years sector supports.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 8:35 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Early years education

I don't think education should be play-based; but I do believe it should encourage children to use their imaginations, express themselves creatively, and enjoy their childhood years.

There's no point in cramming information into a kid that isn't absorbing it properly, or failing to balance it with activities that develop the child's confidence and initiative.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 10:34 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Early years education

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I don't think education should be play-based; but I do believe it should encourage children to use their imaginations, express themselves creatively, and enjoy their childhood years.

There's no point in cramming information into a kid that isn't absorbing it properly, or failing to balance it with activities that develop the child's confidence and initiative.
I agree, over here kids start school mostly from 4 years and it becomes mandatory from 5 years of age. In those 2 or 3 years (depending on what date they are born, October 1th still being a sort of line between going to 3th grade or staying into 1/2 grade a year longer) they get enough playtime to get all the energy out of them so they can absorb information. In those early years they get more tasks when they get older and also an older child will help a younger one (makes the older child feel responsible and independant). In most schooling systems kiids of 4/5/6 years old are together in one group.

Miranda
Old Apr 17th 2006, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Early years education

Originally Posted by tum
I agree, over here kids start school mostly from 4 years and it becomes mandatory from 5 years of age. In those 2 or 3 years (depending on what date they are born, October 1th still being a sort of line between going to 3th grade or staying into 1/2 grade a year longer) they get enough playtime to get all the energy out of them so they can absorb information. In those early years they get more tasks when they get older and also an older child will help a younger one (makes the older child feel responsible and independant). In most schooling systems kiids of 4/5/6 years old are together in one group.

Miranda
as a primary school teacher id agree that play has a very important part to play in learning. things have changed drastically since i graduated 8 years ago. We now have the foundation stage (nursery, reception) an now the children in year 1 have a more foundation stage curriculum. however, things change dramtically when they get to Y2. its mostly bums on seats and heads down!
All well and good for those children who need a challenge and are ready to learn.however, I have children in my class who just about know there letter sounds..a, b c, etc..and very special needs children who cant read numbers past 2 in addtion to children who are hungry to learn all they can.

Sometimes I trying to differeniate 5-6 ways in order to deliver a lesson that all children can access.!!!!!!!

regards

lolly