Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

early dark nights??

early dark nights??

Old May 24th 2006, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future
Default Re: early dark nights??

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You know your problem - not enough brain food .......... bananas
I know, terrible. I'm thinking of getting someone from the UK to ship some out, prob cheaper! ...
Old May 24th 2006, 12:31 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flump
Forgive me for asking, but i'm not really upto much on the humidity thing, What is 15% humidity like and why is 6 worse? I thought the higher the humidity the worse it is? Sorry, i know its a bit of a 'doh' question but thought while its on that subject i'd ask!!
Thanks
Claire
In a word DRY!!! Optimum is about 45-60%.
Old May 24th 2006, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the earlier / darker nights would bother us but it hasn't. You just get up earlier and go to bed earlier. As someone said, you do the Queensland thing

The birds get you up in the morning BTW so come 8pm you are knackered
Old May 24th 2006, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
The bird gets you up in the morning BTW so come 8pm you are knackered
Tell me about it, I keep telling her to let me have a lie in!

Old May 24th 2006, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Tell me about it, I keep telling her to let me have a lie in!

In yer dreams Paul..in yer dreams
Old May 24th 2006, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
In yer dreams Paul..in yer dreams
Old May 24th 2006, 2:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

As The Bloke said DRY! And Moneypen has described it perfectly. You feel like a plum turning into a prune. If your skin is naturally dry, or you suffer from eczema, you feel like you are having the moisture sucked from you. I KNOW, the minute it drops below 40%, 20% is starting to make me lethargic, today I walked outside for 2 minutes between offices - and I just felt drained in that time. Now I know why - 6%. Its no up to 50% and I've been drinking fluids like mad all day but I can still feel that there isn't enough liquid in me.
Its a scary feeling - what I hope is that by warning people, they will be ready for it. Watch the BOM site, it gives humidity figures on the Current observations page HERE
and if you feel yourself drying up just drink, moisturise, and stay indoors as much as you can.

As for daylight saving - they did vote a few years back, and yes it was turned down.Reasons that Qlders have given me include "the furniture will fade in the extra sunlight" "the cows will stop giving milk because they will be confused about milking time" and "there will be no eggs because the hens will be confused" !!! WTF!!!! But my own MIL asked how we cope in England when there is no milk because the clocks have changed.........in the face of that I think daylight saving is a few centuries away!
Old May 24th 2006, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

flump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: early dark nights??

Thanks to everyone for your points of view, very good to know, i do like the long summer nights but i hate the cold wet, dark, long winters, we are 95% emmigrating but you still get those little niggly questions don't you. Sure they'll be lots more!! Our next mission is to plan a visit to the brisbane area, thing is where the hell do you start looking, I like the sound of the gold coast, sunshine coast and all those bits inbetween!!! arghhhh. Are the mozzies bad after dusk?

Thanks again.
x
Old May 24th 2006, 3:08 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Yeah must admit it's kinda weird. As nice as it is having the sun all the time it does go down by 5pm at the mo, and they tell me even in the summer your lucky to see it still at 7.30pm!

I know we'll miss the nights where you can sit out in the garden with daylight still till almost 10pm like we did in the UK, but hey, you can't have everything!

Today was the equivalent to November in the UK and yet again mid 20's, clear blue sky and glorious sun ALL day long! ...

I'm happy to swap the long nights for this ANY DAY! ...
Well, it is like November in the UK today also....
Old May 24th 2006, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

As for daylight saving - they did vote a few years back, and yes it was turned down.Reasons that Qlders have given me include "the furniture will fade in the extra sunlight" "the cows will stop giving milk because they will be confused about milking time" and "there will be no eggs because the hens will be confused" !!! WTF!!!! But my own MIL asked how we cope in England when there is no milk because the clocks have changed.........in the face of that I think daylight saving is a few centuries away![/QUOTE]

LOL
Old May 24th 2006, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Well, it is like November in the UK today also....

I know! What's going on?
My daughter was born in May and this is the first time in 7 years it has rained on her birthday.
It's cold too - def not May weather.
My friends in Perth said the winter went on for ages there so maybe we are seeing the same thing here.
Old May 24th 2006, 9:42 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

We had our first frost of the year 2 nights ago. Ffffffffreezing and it's not even bloody winter yet. Could be a cold one this year our local amateur weather forecaster predicts that "in the years there's a frost on Gympie show weekend, it's going to be a cold long winter"
Barbeque's Galore may have found another buyer for their nice Norseman wood burners. The beauty of a log burner is you get warm 3 times: First when you chop the trees down, then when you have to split and stack the logs and then when you carry them in to burn them
Old May 24th 2006, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cresta57
We had our first frost of the year 2 nights ago. Ffffffffreezing and it's not even bloody winter yet.
Yeah coulda done with a few blankets last night ...

Must say, I was here last July / Aug and really don't remember it being anywhere as cold as it was last night ...

Still, at least the sun is out and TODAY will be nice an warm ...
Old May 24th 2006, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
. The beauty of a log burner is you get warm 3 times: First when you chop the trees down, then when you have to split and stack the logs and then when you carry them in to burn them
Indeed.

I have to strip off after splitting.
Old May 24th 2006, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Still, at least the sun is out and TODAY will be nice an warm ... [/QUOTE]

Is it me or does it seem to take ages to warm up in the mornings? We leave at 6.45 to take hubby to train,all in our PJ's - except him,of course
Was freezing this morning,too cold to eat breakfast outside when we got back,but I know if I wrap kids up,they'll be too hot at kindy later
I still think all the winter woolies & coats in the shops are a bit excessive though
Back on original subject, we're just getting used to it getting dark early & like others, when we first arrived we were up at 5.30,6am & in bed again for 8.30pm
Will just have to get some good outdoor lighting set up for those summer BBQ'S & the pools always look great lit up at night

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.