Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

DVLA - probably daft question...

DVLA - probably daft question...

Old Jul 8th 2006, 8:45 pm
Finally living the dream!

AlCo is a jewel in the roughAlCo is a jewel in the roughAlCo is a jewel in the roughAlCo is a jewel in the roughAlCo is a jewel in the rough
Default DVLA - probably daft question...

What do you do about driving licenses? We are moving out at the beginning of Sept to temp accommodation for a month before flying out to Perth. Do we change the address on the licenses:
a. at all.
b. to our temp accomm.
c. to an Oz address.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks, Al.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 8:53 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DVLA - probably daft question...

Originally Posted by AlCo
What do you do about driving licenses? We are moving out at the beginning of Sept to temp accommodation for a month before flying out to Perth. Do we change the address on the licenses:
a. at all.
b. to our temp accomm.
c. to an Oz address.

In most states, you have 3 months to change your licence etc. Check with your state transport department.

www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/566.asp
Old Jul 8th 2006, 9:02 pm
Finally living the dream!

AlCo is a jewel in the roughAlCo is a jewel in the roughAlCo is a jewel in the roughAlCo is a jewel in the roughAlCo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The Bloke
In most states, you have 3 months to change your licence etc. Check with your state transport department.

www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/566.asp
Sorry, should have said, I meant UK driving license.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

pioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud of

We haven't informed dvla, we fly out on 15th August. I still have a paper type licence. I guess the only time you'd would change details is if you return to the uk?
Sharon
Old Jul 8th 2006, 9:13 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Someone else from BE phoned the DVLA some time ago to ask that question and was told that if they left the country permanently, they should return their licence to the DVLA :scared:

(I won't be telling the DVLA that I'm leaving the country.)

Gina
Old Jul 8th 2006, 9:16 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

Why don't you change your address to your parents or sibling. It's free even if you have a photo licence?

It's not quite the same i know but when i went out to Germany for 3 years, i was actually told by a policeman to give my parents address.

You never know, you might need it should you return for a holiday.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 11:06 pm

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

No probs. Still can change licence to Australian when you get here. WA has the only state transport site recently, that I have seen that has a section that actually gives information for overseas drivers. If you want to go back for hols etc, you can still use your Aussie licence over in the UK. You only have to pay the fine, if caught, but not lose any demerit points.

Hope this site can help you for when you get here.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 11:12 pm
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pioneer
We haven't informed dvla, we fly out on 15th August. I still have a paper type licence. I guess the only time you'd would change details is if you return to the uk?
Sharon
Hi - -We fly on the 15th too - -where you off to?

xRachx
Old Jul 8th 2006, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Someone else from BE phoned the DVLA some time ago to ask that question and was told that if they left the country permanently, they should return their licence to the DVLA :scared:

Gina

We left in Feb, and called them just before hand, they told us that once we were out of the uk, they didn't use overseas addresses, so either leave it at our old address, or change to a relatives. Also, you have to renew the photo ones every 10 years, so not sure how that will work...forgot to ask them that part!!
PS - Hi Gina, All great here, not long till you get here now is it??
Judith
Old Jul 8th 2006, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

a. at all.
b. to our temp accomm.
c. to an Oz address.

Technically you're supposed to change your licence when you change your address (or you could be fined £1000). Practically I think this is only a problem if they are unable to contact you through the address on the licence.

Old Jul 9th 2006, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK

Gina
I emailed them and got an email back to say that it was fine to keep it, but they couldn't change it to a non uk address, and as I had already left the country they said I couldn't change it. As it happens we still own our UK house and we have our mail on a forward right now, so it doesn't matter. When our move is more permanent or if we sell our property in the UK I will probably change it to my parents address, although once you get to Oz if you are on permanent residency you will have to get a local license within three months anyway, and at that point some states make your uk license unusable.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Technically you're supposed to change your licence when you change your address (or you could be fined £1000). Practically I think this is only a problem if they are unable to contact you through the address on the licence.

There's a bit of the loop in the system with this anyway... see my post above.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

When you exchange your UK licence for an Australian one, your UK licence will have a hole punched through it making it invalid.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by suzimc
I emailed them and got an email back to say that it was fine to keep it, but they couldn't change it to a non uk address, and as I had already left the country they said I couldn't change it. As it happens we still own our UK house and we have our mail on a forward right now, so it doesn't matter. When our move is more permanent or if we sell our property in the UK I will probably change it to my parents address, although once you get to Oz if you are on permanent residency you will have to get a local license within three months anyway, and at that point some states make your uk license unusable.
"Depending on whether you are just visiting or planning to stay here permanently, there are different periods that you are allowed to drive with your overseas licence.
Planning to stay?
If you intend to take up permanent residence in WA you are no longer considered to be a visitor. You must apply for a WA driver's licence within three months of your arrival."

from WA transport website

I think that means when you arrive in regardless of what visa you are on or whether the move is permanent or not.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

pioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ladywithatorch
Hi - -We fly on the 15th too - -where you off to?

xRachx

Going from Heathrow to Perth with Emirates. What about you?
Sharon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.