Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dudley, PENSNETT, Brierley Hill, ETC.

Dudley, PENSNETT, Brierley Hill, ETC.

Old Jan 29th 2007, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Dave53 will become famous soon enoughDave53 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Dudley, PENSNETT, Brierley Hill, ETC.

Wow .... What a great response , It seems there are Quarry Bonkers worldwide .Talking of swimming clubs , I learned to swim at Stourbridge baths , and was a member of Brierley Hill Swimming Club too . Any one remember Mrs Preece , the swimming instructor at Brierley Hill ? .
I am QB born and bred , having lived in Thorns Rd , Merry Hill , Woodland Ave and the most recent was Woods Lane , then we moved to Aussie . We now live in Tahmoor , NSW , about 60 miles SW of Sydney . Its a small town of about 3000 pop in the shire of Wollondilly . Don't know if we will stay here in Tahmoor , rather fancy the Cairns area myself , but time will tell .
Anyroad up , orlright and look forward to more QB postings .

Dave..
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

I left the Thorns in 1987 but went back there around 1994 to do some teaching practise in the English department. I went back for a reunion (ie pub crawl) when we lived in Belgium and that was a laugh but can't say that I miss the place. Maybe the Melbourne Quarry Bank lot will manage to meet up at one of the BritVic meets, we can have our own thorns reunion over here .
Nicky
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future

Small world. The other half grew up in QB and went to the Thorns, left 85, I lived In between Lakeside and the withymoor for a while and went to the Thorns, left 86. The last place we lived before we came over was holly hall in dudley. My brother grew up and still lives in Wollaston.
I used to take the kids to the Crystal in Stourbridge. I wish they had something like that in Adelaide, you don't know what you've got until it's gone. Not that I have any desire to go back just for that.
If I ever did go back for a visit, I would pay Lye a visit for a decent curry.
Julie
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Dave53 will become famous soon enoughDave53 will become famous soon enough

NickyP
Seems like a good idea . Whens the next Britvic meet ? . I'm sure we can fly down for that one .
Sunnyj
I miss the currys too . Can you remember Mr Daves and also Zaafrans on Lye Cross ? . I'm gaggin' for a Balti now !!
Dave

Last edited by Dave53; Jan 29th 2007 at 10:22 pm. Reason: Additions
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

For those feeling a bit homesick
NEWSFLASH - Earthquake in Tipton

Disaster in Tipton

An Appeal for Your Help

A major earthquake measuring 5.8 on the Richter scale hit in the early hours
of Tuesday morning. Epicentre: Tipton, England.

News of the disaster was swiftly carried abroad by the town's 35,000 racing
pigeons, as victims were seen wandering around aimlessly muttering
"******hell" and "choffin-norah".

The earthquake decimated the town, causing £30 worth of damage. Several
priceless collections of mementos from the Balearic Isles and the Spanish
Costa's were damaged beyond repair. Three areas of historical burnt out cars
were disturbed.

Many locals were woken up well before their Giro arrived. Radio Tipton
reported that hundreds of residents were confused and bewildered, still
trying to come to terms with the fact that something interesting had
happened in Tipton.

One resident, 15 year old mother of 3, Tracy Sharon Braithwaite said: "It
was such a shock, my little Chardonnay-Madonna came running into my bedroom
crying. The twins, Tyler-Morgan and Megan-Storm slept through it all. I was
still shaking when I was watching Trisha the next morning".

Locals were determined not to be bowed, as looting, muggings and car crime
carried on as normal.

So far, whilst the British Red Cross has managed to ship 4000 crates of
Sunny Delight to the area to relieve the suffering of stricken locals,
rescue workers searching through the rubble have found large quantities of
personal belongings including, benefit books, jewellery from Elizabeth Duke
at Argos, and bone china from Pound-stretcher.

Can You Help....?
Please respond generously to our appeal for food and clothing for the
victims of this disaster.

Clothing is needed most of all, especially:
· Fila or Burberry baseball caps
· Kappa tracksuit tops (his or hers)
· Shell suits (female)
· White sports socks
· Rock-Fort boots or any other product sold in Primark

Culturally sensitive food parcels are harder to put together, but your
efforts will make a difference.
Microwave meals, tinned baked beans, ice-cream and cans of Colt 45 or
Special Brew are ideal.

Please do not give anything that requires peeling.

Remember:
· 22p buys a biro for filling in compensation claims
· £2 buys chips, crisps and a blue fizzy drink for a family of 9
· £5 will pay for a packet of B&H and a lighter to calm a child's nerves

Please do not send tents for shelter.
The sight of such posh housing will cause discontent in the surrounding
Black Country communities.

Not sure when the next meet is I will let everyone know.
Nicky
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dave53
NickyP
Seems like a good idea . Whens the next Britvic meet ? . I'm sure we can fly down for that one .
Sunnyj
I miss the currys too . Can you remember Mr Daves and also Zaafrans on Lye Cross ? . I'm gaggin' for a Balti now !!
Dave
Yes I must say that a Balti would be really good right now, our one and only Indian restaurant here doesn't do them .
Nicky
Old Jan 30th 2007, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

deano will become famous soon enoughdeano will become famous soon enough

Not been on british expats for such a long time, just came on for a nosey and discovered this excellent thread!! well done to you all for your fantastic descriptive comments of the beautiful brierley hill!!!

We used to live on the pedmore road, just up from merry hell, oposite the woodman inn and charles browns ((oh the shame))

Also just read on here that an old next door neighbour, sunseeker on here, is also in adelaide, very small world.

The baltis are one of the things we really miss, zaffrans is where we celebrated my 30th birthday, excellent night. we also loved the big curry cornish pastie things that they did in quarry bonk at the spice merchant, mmmm, i'm salivating.

Very funny post on the Tipton earthquake, was anyone there when the real one struck? we were, and we completely sh*t ourselves!

Who's in Adelaide?

Angie and Dean
Old Jan 30th 2007, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future

Ahh good old Mister Dave's. That was where we always used to go. It is now a Thai restaurant, well it was when we were there 15 months ago.
Kamran's was our next choice. MMM I can taste it now. Have had nothing close to that since we have been here, nor a decent chinese, they don't believe in chicken breast over here neither and if you ask for chips with your meal they look at you gone out. I am giving up my quest for something that tantalises my taste buds and am now gonna look on the Balti website for a recipe to do my own, still won't be the same as nipping out on a friday or saturday and getting one already done for you.
Oh happy days. We have to make some sacrifices to be somewhere better, don't miss anything else.
Julie
Old Jan 30th 2007, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

I think that even the Asda curries were better than the ones you get in an 'indian restaurant' here.

We went to a restaurant here and the tarka dahl was like mushy peas?

the naan was like a small square table napkin, in both looks and taste!

and the curry was like brown dishwater, no need to say we haven't been back there.

we just make them ourselves now, Dean either makes one from scratch or we buy pataks balti sauce from coles.

I can't imagine how we're gonna stink when we go back to the uk for a holiday, we're gonna spend 3 weeks eating curry and drinking dandelion and burdock!

Angie
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:16 am
There is no "U" in Qantas

MisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really nice

Originally Posted by deano
Not been on british expats for such a long time, just came on for a nosey and discovered this excellent thread!! well done to you all for your fantastic descriptive comments of the beautiful brierley hill!!!

We used to live on the pedmore road, just up from merry hell, oposite the woodman inn and charles browns ((oh the shame))

Also just read on here that an old next door neighbour, sunseeker on here, is also in adelaide, very small world.

The baltis are one of the things we really miss, zaffrans is where we celebrated my 30th birthday, excellent night. we also loved the big curry cornish pastie things that they did in quarry bonk at the spice merchant, mmmm, i'm salivating.

Very funny post on the Tipton earthquake, was anyone there when the real one struck? we were, and we completely sh*t ourselves!

Who's in Adelaide?

Angie and Dean
We were living in Sedgley when the Dudley earthquake struck. The epicentre was Brick Kiln Lane, whick is opposite the famous Crooked House. It is now the MORE Crooked House!!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

so where in adelaide are you sunnyj? you must have just been at the top of the road from us in the uk. we were on the pedmore road, opposite the woodman and down from the crown.

angie
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:27 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave53
NickyP
Sunnyj
Dave
i used to work in Mr Daves when it first opened for a couple of years! on a friday and sat night
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MisterTwo
We were living in Sedgley when the Dudley earthquake struck. The epicentre was Brick Kiln Lane, whick is opposite the famous Crooked House. It is now the MORE Crooked House!!
did it wake you?

it woke us, strange thing was we'd never experienced anything like an earthquake before but we knew exactly what it was.

angie
Old Jan 30th 2007, 4:45 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deano
did it wake you?

it woke us, strange thing was we'd never experienced anything like an earthquake before but we knew exactly what it was.

angie

I was living in Halesowen when the earthquake struck.
I said to hubby it was the first time in ages the earth had moved for me
Old Jan 30th 2007, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
I was living in Halesowen when the earthquake struck.
I said to hubby it was the first time in ages the earth had moved for me
I can remember thinking a plane or UFO!!!!!! had crashed in the garden

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.