Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ducted Evaporative a/c

Ducted Evaporative a/c

Old Oct 8th 2011, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Moonfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ducted Evaporative a/c

Ducted evaporative air conditioning throughout...
Looking at rentals and have seen this.
What is it, and can anyone tell me does it work well
Thanks
Old Oct 8th 2011, 3:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ducted Evaporative a/c

Originally Posted by Moonfish
Thanks
It's a rubbish system and is not really AC - it's a glorified fan
Old Oct 8th 2011, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's a rubbish system and is not really AC - it's a glorified fan
ohhhhh, good to know ... Thanks.. No good for WA then
Old Oct 8th 2011, 3:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

ohhhhh, good to know ... Thanks.. No good for WA then
Apparently it works 'best' in dry heat, so okay in WA
Old Oct 8th 2011, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Apparently it works 'best' in dry heat, so okay in WA
ok, not so bad then
Thanks
Old Oct 8th 2011, 10:23 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

ok, not so bad then
Thanks
Ours is ok, only few days when we get the scorchers its a waste of time.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, here's the scoop. We had it in our old rental.

For dry days in the low 30s, it's okay. The upside to it is the amount of fresh air you have circulating through the house, it's cheaper to run, and you don't have to hassle the kids to keep the patio door closed.

So, when it gets closer to 40C or on humid days, it just doesn't work that well. And there will be some days in February when you have it going full blast and you're still dripping sweat and wishing for a good split system or ducted refrigerative a/c.

There's a lot of info online about how it works, comparisons with other forms of a/c. The truth is, it doesn't have a lot of "cooling" ability. So, when it's 40C, you might be able to get it down to 30C in the house (if lucky) with the evap going. For some folks, that's okay. For others, it's not as cool as they'd like to be in summer.

Last edited by Japonica; Oct 8th 2011 at 12:04 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 12:22 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
Okay, here's the scoop. We had it in our old rental.

For dry days in the low 30s, it's okay. The upside to it is the amount of fresh air you have circulating through the house, it's cheaper to run, and you don't have to hassle the kids to keep the patio door closed.

So, when it gets closer to 40C or on humid days, it just doesn't work that well. And there will be some days in February when you have it going full blast and you're still dripping sweat and wishing for a good split system or ducted refrigerative a/c.

There's a lot of info online about how it works, comparisons with other forms of a/c. The truth is, it doesn't have a lot of "cooling" ability. So, when it's 40C, you might be able to get it down to 30C in the house (if lucky) with the evap going. For some folks, that's okay. For others, it's not as cool as they'd like to be in summer.
Actually it depends on humidity not temperature.
But I agree as previously in the 40s it struggles.
The "sweaty" isn't helped as the air in your house is more humid.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Actually it depends on humidity not temperature.
But I agree as previously in the 40s it struggles.
The "sweaty" isn't helped as the air in your house is more humid.
We had it in our place in Melbourne and it was fine. I would agree that it struggles in the 40's but is cheaper to install and run than refrigerated A/C. I've never been to Perth so can't comment on its usefulness there, but I have lived in places with no a/c at all, and believe me, anything's better than nothing.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kiwikaye
We had it in our place in Melbourne and it was fine. I would agree that it struggles in the 40's but is cheaper to install and run than refrigerated A/C. I've never been to Perth so can't comment on its usefulness there, but I have lived in places with no a/c at all, and believe me, anything's better than nothing.
Yes, I have to agree, having no kind of a/c is not something I would be willing to even consider. I have to be cool at night, cos I cant bear not being able to sleep.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Perthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant future

Thanks
Many answers and info you will find here http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...ative&f=&fg=-1 and here http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=9991. We have an evaporative and it works very well plus it is much cheaper to run. I wonder about so many moving to to sunny Australia but then once the sun comes out can not survive without refrigerated A/C.