Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Places to experience in Melbourne & Adelaide

Places to experience in Melbourne & Adelaide

Old Oct 9th 2011, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

peace19 has a spectacular aura aboutpeace19 has a spectacular aura aboutpeace19 has a spectacular aura about
Default Places to experience in Melbourne & Adelaide

Hi all,

In order to validate my 175 visa; I am going to Australia for a week where I will meet my friends/relatives in Melbourne and Adelaide.

I am trying to find some places both in Melbourne and Adelaide which are worth visiting in terms of adventurous and sightseeing.

Could you please share your experience and advise on it ?

Note: I am non-alcoholic guy - so no more wineries

Thanks

Bye,
Peace!

Last edited by peace19; Oct 9th 2011 at 8:57 am.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 7:58 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Places to experience in Melbourne & Adelaide

Originally Posted by peace19
Hi all,

In order to validate my 175 visa; I am going to Australia for a week where I will meet my friends/relatives in Melbourne and Adelaide.

I am trying to find some places both in Melbourne and Adelaide which are worth visiting in terms of adventurous and sightseeing.

Thanks

Bye,
Peace!
We've not been yet, visiting in Feb and planning to make our move there later next year. Suppose it depends what you are after. We are a family with 2 young kids so our wants may differ.

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/clelandwildlife/Home We will hopefully be visiting this place, IIRC it is one of the best wildlife parks in Aus

If you get a chance, Kangaroo Island is supposed to be well worth a visit but would suggest it would need at least an overnight stay

Lots of cellar doors/wineries to visit

We are doing the Great Ocean Road and there is lots to see

http://www.visitvictoria.com/Regions...cean-Road.aspx
Old Oct 9th 2011, 8:27 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks

Bye,
Peace!
In Adelaide...
If you have a car then Gorge Wildlife Park is a nice day out. Bring your own food and use the free BBQs and eating area. http://www.gorgewildlifepark.com.au/

If you like wine there are loads of great wineries both north and south of the city.

Drive up in the hills to Stirling and Hahndorf. http://www.adhills.com.au/tourism/towns/hahndorf/

Take the tram down to Glenelg for a nice day at the beach. There are some nice shops down there as well.

Go on a walking tour of the city and don't forget to go to the Haigh's chocolate factory. Yum. http://haighschocolates.com.au/
Old Oct 9th 2011, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

peace19 has a spectacular aura aboutpeace19 has a spectacular aura aboutpeace19 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the inputs.

I will be with my sister and have no plans for overnight stay - Will prefer places where we can start in morning and come back home in night/evening ...

I heard of Helicopter tour of Great Ocean Road ... how is it ? I never had helicopter flight and just visualizing how scenic it would be ..
Old Oct 9th 2011, 12:23 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the inputs.

I will be with my sister and have no plans for overnight stay - Will prefer places where we can start in morning and come back home in night/evening ...

I heard of Helicopter tour of Great Ocean Road ... how is it ? I never had helicopter flight and just visualizing how scenic it would be ..
You can do Gorge park in the morning and Hahndorf in the afternoon. They are not far from each other and Gorge wildlife park would let you see all kinds of native Australian animals. You and your sister can even cuddle a koala. (That's me at Gorge about 5 years ago)

The helicopter tour sounds like fun.
Attached Thumbnails Places to experience in Melbourne & Adelaide-dorothy-koala.jpg  
Old Oct 9th 2011, 12:38 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You can do Gorge park in the morning and Hahndorf in the afternoon. They are not far from each other and Gorge wildlife park would let you see all kinds of native Australian animals. You and your sister can even cuddle a koala. (That's me at Gorge about 5 years ago)

The helicopter tour sounds like fun.
Aw lovely pic Dorothy

We're going to be staying in Mount Barker, so hopefully will get to see quite a bit of Hahndorf and the surrounding areas - can't wait 131 sleeps to go
Old Oct 9th 2011, 12:42 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by rasen78
Aw lovely pic Dorothy

We're going to be staying in Mount Barker, so hopefully will get to see quite a bit of Hahndorf and the surrounding areas - can't wait 131 sleeps to go
When you're in Hahndorf be sure to make reservations for lunch at "The Lane". The scenery is breathtaking, food's great and fantastic wines.

We actually looked at a chunk of land while we were there a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately Perth to Adelaide is one hell of a daily commute.