Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Drying white goods before shipping

Drying white goods before shipping

Old Oct 23rd 2012, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Drying white goods before shipping

Mum was looking at bringing her washing machine and dishwasher here when she moves but the shippers have noted she will need to ensure they are dry.

Mum is now so worried about what this entails that she is thinking of giving nearly new appliances away because this sounds too difficult.

Unfortunately when I moved here my appliances were that old I struggled to give them away so I didn't encounter this. Can anyone advise what is required to be done to dry these machines?
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 11:53 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drying white goods before shipping

Originally Posted by spottydog
Mum was looking at bringing her washing machine and dishwasher here when she moves but the shippers have noted she will need to ensure they are dry.

Mum is now so worried about what this entails that she is thinking of giving nearly new appliances away because this sounds too difficult.

Unfortunately when I moved here my appliances were that old I struggled to give them away so I didn't encounter this. Can anyone advise what is required to be done to dry these machines?
Disconnect them from the water inlet and drainage pipes. Leave doors open and let air do it's job Will need at least 2 days to dry out IMO, but to be on the safe side, allow 4-5 days. More modern machines should allow you to completely disconnect the inlet pipes, so those can be hung up to drain. On the washing machine, you will need to clear the filter at the front. This will contain some water so she will need to put either a shallow tray or a big absorbent towel under to soak up the water.