Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Drunks Trouble in Brisbane?gold coast????

Drunks Trouble in Brisbane?gold coast????

Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Annie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really nice
Default Re: Drunks Trouble in Brisbane?gold coast????

Originally Posted by love30stm
can anyone tell me if there is lots of trouble with drunks i.e.school/college leavers causing trouble in the gold coast in around November, my husband said a Ozzy work college told us not to go around a certain time in November can anyone tell us...was hoping to go for a holiday ....

cheers any help would be much appreciated.
Hi,
Your Ozzy colleague was referring to Schoolies.When the school leavers (17/18 year olds) descend on Surfers Paradise. Officially, that starts this year (2008) 22nd to 30th November for the official schoolies events etc, after that there is a bit of yahooing for a week or so and then it calms down. During Schoolies week there are events put on, and pretty much I would avoid Surfers.

Schoolies tend to confine themselves to Surfers and spill a little around Main Beach and Broadbeach.

So, yes they are around, and they will be at the various attractions, but if you can come before that date you will be here at a very good time.

I wouldn't stay in Surfers as that is where it can get a bit unruly, but there is a big police and security presence and it is pretty well regulated. You'll find it noisy and annoying more than anything. If you have kids, like I do, it's not where I'd be, in fact unless you are a schoolie there is no point in being there!

Depending upon what you want to do, you could stay away from Surfers Paradise and not see them. We live about 3 kms from Surfers, and about the only thing I ever see is them being driven around in Limos with their heads out the sunroofs! It is quite hilarious!

I don't think Brisbane has the same thing. The Gold Coast is one of the main destinations because there is so much to do here.

Hope you manage to fit your holiday around this. One of my favourite times on the coast is early December, as the attractions are often quiet, but early November is like that too, before schoolies because all the Ozzie schools are still in session.

Hope that helps,
Annie
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:31 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annie.R
... in fact unless you are a schoolie there is no point in being there!
... unless you're a "Toolie"

http://www.doubletongued.org/index.p...ionary/toolie/
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Annie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really niceAnnie.R is just really nice

Originally Posted by renth
Yeah, well I was going to mention that, but I figured that the original question asker wasn't likely to be! Otherwise the question would have been asked differently!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 12:17 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all maybe looking at coming over early November....to take a look at sunny Oz from the Rainy NZ at the moment
Old Aug 26th 2008, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

dont come early november thats tradies week, they all stay around surfers with bright yellow jackets, drinking tallys & compering tools the place is full of utes with things falling off the back. The police are cracking down on the builders bum crack but i cant see how they are going to inforce it! GARY

Last edited by moneypenny20; Aug 26th 2008 at 10:00 am. Reason: A request from the poster ;)
Old Aug 26th 2008, 9:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calNgary
dont come early november thats tradies week, they all stay around surfers with bright yellow jackets, drinking tallys & compering tools the place is full of utes with things falling off the back. The police are cracking down on the builders bum crack but i cant see how they are going to inforce it! GARY
Jeez put a at the end of that. You'll have people actually believing you

Thank you

Last edited by moneypenny20; Aug 26th 2008 at 10:00 am.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:16 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

that could apply to just about every tavern on a friday afternoon
Old Aug 26th 2008, 8:09 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Funny!!!