Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Drunks Trouble in Brisbane?gold coast????

Drunks Trouble in Brisbane?gold coast????

Old Aug 25th 2008, 3:57 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Drunks Trouble in Brisbane?gold coast????

can anyone tell me if there is lots of trouble with drunks i.e.school/college leavers causing trouble in the gold coast in around November, my husband said a Ozzy work college told us not to go around a certain time in November can anyone tell us...was hoping to go for a holiday ....

cheers any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by love30stm; Aug 25th 2008 at 3:59 am. Reason: change bristbane to brisbane
Old Aug 25th 2008, 4:07 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drunks Trouble in Brisbane?gold coast????

Originally Posted by love30stm
can anyone tell me if there is lots of trouble with drunks i.e.school/college leavers causing trouble in the gold coast in around November, my husband said a Ozzy work college told us not to go around a certain time in November can anyone tell us...was hoping to go for a holiday ....

cheers any help would be much appreciated.
22-30th November - avoid like the plague:

http://www.schoolies.qld.gov.au/
Old Aug 25th 2008, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

Then you get the nsw crowd coming up the week after that usually. Even the locals move out - tis a bloody nightmare. It's only the coast though, you'll be fine in brisbane.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by renth

Cheers thanks for that....
Old Aug 25th 2008, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Kim67
Then you get the nsw crowd coming up the week after that usually. Even the locals move out - tis a bloody nightmare. It's only the coast though, you'll be fine in brisbane.
does that include Movie World and that????
Old Aug 25th 2008, 4:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the coast though. It's a couple of square kilometres of the coast. The rest of the coast is oblivious to Schoolies.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
does that include Movie World and that????
You'll be fine to go to theme parks as the schoolies usually sleep all day due to massive hangovers from night before.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 4:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

IMO Kim is exaggerating slightly. Schoolies fortnight is not horrendous unless you decide to live on the beach at Surfers for the fortnight. Once outside Surfers and possibly a bit of Broadbeach you would never know what was going on there.

You do get groups of kids going up to the theme parks - they are kids on holiday after all. They are all not getting smashed and sleeping off hangovers, all the events are monitored by police and support crews, the majority are underage and none of the events have licences. Obviously kids will be kids and get drink and get pissed but it's a minority and yes they get hold of drugs and do silly things - the majority just have a blast and if they're sleeping late in the morning, it's likely they didn't get to bed until four or five.

If you are planning on coming, still come, just don't book accommodation in Surfers or Broadbeach and you'll be fine.

The same goes for Indie week which is in October.

Just my take on living here for the past few years.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 4:48 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
IMO Kim is exaggerating slightly. Schoolies fortnight is not horrendous unless you decide to live on the beach at Surfers for the fortnight. Once outside Surfers and possibly a bit of Broadbeach you would never know what was going on there.

You do get groups of kids going up to the theme parks - they are kids on holiday after all. They are all not getting smashed and sleeping off hangovers, all the events are monitored by police and support crews, the majority are underage and none of the events have licences. Obviously kids will be kids and get drink and get pissed but it's a minority and yes they get hold of drugs and do silly things - the majority just have a blast and if they're sleeping late in the morning, it's likely they didn't get to bed until four or five.

If you are planning on coming, still come, just don't book accommodation in Surfers or Broadbeach and you'll be fine.

I am starting to notice something Nobel Peace Prize-esq about you MP.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypen20

In your opinion I may be exaggerating, but in my own experience, it's a bloomin' nightmare - having lived in Brisbane for 10 years and having mates that lived in an apartment in the heart of surfers - it was a nightmare to visit. I agree Indi is as well. So much smashed glass on the ground that the kids get cut feet even through their thongs when walking down the beach is not my idea of a good time "IMO".
Old Aug 25th 2008, 5:04 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

In your opinion I may be exaggerating, but in my own experience, it's a bloomin' nightmare - having lived in Brisbane for 10 years and having mates that lived in an apartment in the heart of surfers - it was a nightmare to visit. I agree Indi is as well. So much smashed glass on the ground that the kids get cut feet even through their thongs when walking down the beach is not my idea of a good time "IMO".
IMO indies much much worse especially for getting access to surfers
( i do a lot of work in and around surfers -- mostly restaurant breakdowns ) and we basically dont bother if you get a call out during the race week as its such a hassle to get access/parking

schoolies weeks make me laugh as you always see groups of youths pushing well overflowing supermarket trollies full of slabs of beer down the road never had any hassel during schoolies for access as most come on coachs / buses etc
Old Aug 25th 2008, 6:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

I did say it happened in Surfers and bits of Broadbeach. My issue was with your statement that it was 'the coast'. I'd move out for Schoolies and Indie if I lived in the heart of Surfers. However, I never would and the majority of the coast are not aware it's happening.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 6:48 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know a couple of people who've had their cars 'keyed' and vandalised by the schoolies. Personally I wouldn't go there.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

I live about 9km further North from central Surfers and we have no problems or impact from Schoolies or Indie. Unless you drive into the heart of Surfers you won't know either of them are happening.
If you do decide to go into Surfers ... then ... good luck
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Hi i work in southport and go to gold coast beaches most weekend, all though the kids have never bothered me, there are large numbers of them if this is the week you are coming over you will find surfers will be fully booked i would look at runaway bay or burleigh heads GARY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.