Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Drought Stricken Hillbillies Won't Recycle Water

Drought Stricken Hillbillies Won't Recycle Water

Old Jul 29th 2006, 1:23 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drought Stricken Hillbillies Won't Recycle Water

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat

Collecting roof water and piping it to a neighbourhood holding tank and then on to the main dams would make sense.

But what developer/council/state govt/federal govt would be prepared to fund that?

WW
Perhaps if the used the money set aside for rebates was used to fund infrastructure instead, the problem would be half-solved.

Jane
P.S. When our PVC filters deteriorate, I'll (or should I say Jim ) be replacing them (even if homemade), them mossies bite y'know.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 1:23 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Ever tasted my coffee?
The alcohol-laced stuff?
Old Jul 29th 2006, 1:25 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
The alcohol-laced stuff?
Can also be provided if you so desire
Old Jul 29th 2006, 1:38 pm

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Can also be provided if you so desire
Chipmunk now rolling on desk in fits!!!
Old Jul 29th 2006, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

That's why there are plumbers and it is treated as part of house maintenance.
Plumbers
1. you have to find one to look at it.
2. you have to find one to look at it and give you a quote.
3. you have to find one to look at it, give you a quote and agree to come out and do it.
4. you have to find one to look at it, give you a quote, agree to come and do it AND turn up.
5. you have to find one to look at it, give you a quote, agree to come and do it, turn up AND complete it.
Nothing against plumbers (or other tradies) it's just the reality of the QLD building boom.

House maintenance
If it isnt in the latest Bunnings catalogue how would I know it needed maintenance?
Or see above.

WW
Old Jul 29th 2006, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
Perhaps if the used the money set aside for rebates was used to fund infrastructure instead, the problem would be half-solved.

Jane
P.S. When our PVC filters deteriorate, I'll (or should I say Jim ) be replacing them (even if homemade), them mossies bite y'know.
Well that's a start. One out of how many???

WW
Old Jul 29th 2006, 1:53 pm

Plumbers
1. you have to find one to look at it.
2. you have to find one to look at it and give you a quote.
3. you have to find one to look at it, give you a quote and agree to come out and do it.
4. you have to find one to look at it, give you a quote, agree to come and do it AND turn up.
5. you have to find one to look at it, give you a quote, agree to come and do it, turn up AND complete it.
Nothing against plumbers (or other tradies) it's just the reality of the QLD building boom.

House maintenance
If it isnt in the latest Bunnings catalogue how would I know it needed maintenance?
Or see above.

WW
True, many people in the city probably wouldn't bother but in the country people are prepared to carry out even makeshift maintenance periodically themselves.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 2:06 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Chipmunk now rolling on desk in fits!!!
Blodwyn has been missing her
Old Jul 29th 2006, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banjo
well....I don't know all the ins and outs of the science behind it, but the idea of drinking recycled water doesn't appeal to me either!
I sat for a while and tried to resist jumping into this thread, but I can't.

I am a qualified chemical engineer. I work in the water industry, and always have done. When I worked in the UK I did some work for Thames Water (don't get me started!!). One of the treatment plants I was involved with for a while was taking water from the Thames just downstream of a major sewage treatment plant's outfall. It would actually have been easier to treat, and we'd have been able to give better guarantees, if we'd just treated the outfall rather than the outfall mixed with Thames. But because of public opinion that was never an option. I wonder how long the UK will hold out if the weather patterns continue to change and this summer's temperatures become the norm?

I moved to Aus and started work with a water treatment consultancy here. I'm working on a plant upgrade to give recycled water to a town in Vic - they'll be using it to water parks and gardens and to substitute environmental flows from a lake so that they can keep more of the lake water for treating for drinking. The eventual plan is to put third pipe systems into some new housing areas so that residents can use it to water gardens, flush toilets etc.

There doesn't seem to be much resistance to that level of reuse. It's when you start talking about using it as potable water people get ickky about it (that's a technical term ). However, they don't drink it directly. In Toowoomba, which I've read a fair bit about, it's treated to potable standard, then blended with river water (which is more dirty than the treated wastewater by that point) and then treated again. The standard of treatment required before it's blended is phenomenal - there is no reason at all not to drink it then, other than the perception issues.

Yes, it's a big mental hurdle to overcome if you're having to drink it. But there is no risk, and it can only be a benefit if it solves some of the water problems that there are at the moment. If anyone can come up with better ideas, then let us know - any rain dancers out there?
Old Jul 29th 2006, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by thribble
I sat for a while and tried to resist jumping into this thread, but I can't.

I am a qualified chemical engineer. I work in the water industry, and always have done. When I worked in the UK I did some work for Thames Water (don't get me started!!). One of the treatment plants I was involved with for a while was taking water from the Thames just downstream of a major sewage treatment plant's outfall. It would actually have been easier to treat, and we'd have been able to give better guarantees, if we'd just treated the outfall rather than the outfall mixed with Thames. But because of public opinion that was never an option. I wonder how long the UK will hold out if the weather patterns continue to change and this summer's temperatures become the norm?

I moved to Aus and started work with a water treatment consultancy here. I'm working on a plant upgrade to give recycled water to a town in Vic - they'll be using it to water parks and gardens and to substitute environmental flows from a lake so that they can keep more of the lake water for treating for drinking. The eventual plan is to put third pipe systems into some new housing areas so that residents can use it to water gardens, flush toilets etc.

There doesn't seem to be much resistance to that level of reuse. It's when you start talking about using it as potable water people get ickky about it (that's a technical term ). However, they don't drink it directly. In Toowoomba, which I've read a fair bit about, it's treated to potable standard, then blended with river water (which is more dirty than the treated wastewater by that point) and then treated again. The standard of treatment required before it's blended is phenomenal - there is no reason at all not to drink it then, other than the perception issues.

Yes, it's a big mental hurdle to overcome if you're having to drink it. But there is no risk, and it can only be a benefit if it solves some of the water problems that there are at the moment. If anyone can come up with better ideas, then let us know - any rain dancers out there?
Public perception. How do you over come it? We had it too easy for too long.
Population growth, urban growth and centralisation, climate change (sitting on fence on this one), fuel shortages and economics are going to change the way mankind uses resources.

In 50 years time the question will be asked why water wasnt recycled earlier.

WW
Old Jul 29th 2006, 2:22 pm
Banned

Population growth, urban growth and centralisation, climate change (sitting on fence on this one), fuel shortages and economics are going to change the way mankind uses resources.

WW
When all else fails - drink only beer. Oh hang on...must have failed a while ago at our house
Old Jul 29th 2006, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

WW
I don't know. I know there's a group in Toowoomba called Citizens Against Drinking Sewage, who are worried they're going to be known as Poowoomba The problem is that they're vocal and the other side are "experts" and "politicians" and generally "boring"! Catch 'em young, I say - teach the kids in school the processes and reasons behind them, and make sure they understand the basic principles.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

When all else fails - drink only beer. Oh hang on...must have failed a while ago at our house
Isnt that a yellowy coloured water??? With froth?

I always thought that beer had been brewed in earlier times not just for it's 'medicinal' purposes but because it was one way to ensure that there was safe (???) water to drink due to the crap in the rivers from the upstream village?

Sounds like a good and reasonable story anyway.

WW
Old Jul 29th 2006, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by thribble
I don't know. I know there's a group in Toowoomba called Citizens Against Drinking Sewage, who are worried they're going to be known as Poowoomba The problem is that they're vocal and the other side are "experts" and "politicians" and generally "boring"! Catch 'em young, I say - teach the kids in school the processes and reasons behind them, and make sure they understand the basic principles.
In the 60's the state govts were always very quick to promote their bright new shiny dams and to reassure us that water would always be bountiful (read "drought-free").

How times have changed.

In the future will it be "pee more so we can break this drought"?

What people forget is that recycled water will probably, by neccessity, be cleaner than what they are drinking now.

WW
Old Jul 29th 2006, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Isnt that a yellowy coloured water??? With froth?
On a brewery tour this week one of the visitors was shocked to find that the beer is brewed to 7% and diluted back to 4.7% with water. The guide asked what he thought it was diluted with and he said "beer"!! Gotta laugh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.