Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Drought Stricken Hillbillies Won't Recycle Water

Wikiposts

Drought Stricken Hillbillies Won't Recycle Water

Old Jul 30th 2006, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drought Stricken Hillbillies Won't Recycle Water

Originally Posted by PeteY
Do you realise what you are saying?

Australia has already killed the Murray, and many other waterways, through mass extraction from primary sources. The solution to Australias water problem is NOT to be found in looking for more places for direct extraction, but in more efficient ways to manage the current catchments. One of the best methods for this is recycling.

Ecosystems in tropical environments are EVEN more sensitive to the amount of water passing through (and being removed) from the system, than mediterranian and temperate areas.

As someone mentioned further up in this thread. Chemical recycling is simply the water cycle, sped up.

I realise the Murray was over exploited by people up stream. Probably because of old beliefs and infrastructure. However I'm sure the floods we see almost every year up north which cut of great swarths of inland Australia, only to be "recycled/wasted" by evaporation, can be put to better use Surely ? I'm saying an intelligent response is needed, but it needs to be done on a massive and dynamic scale.

I think it's inevitable. Unless we dont want swimming pools, gardens, Spas, baths. I'm also willing to pay for that luxury, as long as the payment is spread out, and benefits all.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 5:15 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Those floods support a delicate ecosystem, which is powered by the floodwater. Bird migrations, desert plant flowerings, even other life which hides underground and pops out once every few years when a flood occurs.

If some wierd and wonderful method was devised to capture this water, it would essentially kill the centre of Australia..

And the Murray is exploited througout its full length.

One of Australias biggest problems regarding water consumption is what people farm. Its crazy that people are growing huge quantities of rice, cotton, citrus, tea, coffee etc on one of the worlds driest landmasses. Irrigating land for cattle is another cause. It is inneficient.

The fact that aussies like a bath and a swim in the pool simply compounds the problem.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 5:36 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Like you say so much fighting and mud slinging goes on its pretty hard to weed out the facts.
Lawrence Springborg has weighed into the debate now. Apparantly he has evidence that recycling water results in the feminisation of the male species.

Jane
Old Jul 30th 2006, 6:00 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
Lawrence Springborg has weighed into the debate now. Apparantly he has evidence that recycling water results in the feminisation of the male species.

Jane

I just saw that - he claims that the feminisation of fish in recyled water could also happen in the human population. He has called on Govt to get industry to recycle and Beattie has put out a press release saying Campbell should do that.

Seems Beattie has washed his hands of it- though presumably not in that girly recylced stuff - he has enough problems with man boobs already.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 6:55 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I realise the Murray was over exploited by people up stream. Probably because of old beliefs and infrastructure. However I'm sure the floods we see almost every year up north which cut of great swarths of inland Australia, only to be "recycled/wasted" by evaporation, can be put to better use Surely ? I'm saying an intelligent response is needed, but it needs to be done on a massive and dynamic scale.

I think it's inevitable. Unless we dont want swimming pools, gardens, Spas, baths. I'm also willing to pay for that luxury, as long as the payment is spread out, and benefits all.
What your suggesting would require a massive commitment of mind of the kind the Victorians over a century ago, which I'm sad to say does not exist here. All the time you have a divided country with states and an impudent federal government this kind of massive inter-state coordinated effort could never happen.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
What your suggesting would require a massive commitment of mind of the kind the Victorians over a century ago, which I'm sad to say does not exist here. All the time you have a divided country with states and an impudent federal government this kind of massive inter-state coordinated effort could never happen.
Hopefully there is a chance that in our lifetimes, we will see the end of the Federal system. There has been plenty of talk about this lately. Federalisation is certainly holding this country back at present.

Originally Posted by PeterY

hose floods support a delicate ecosystem, which is powered by the floodwater. Bird migrations, desert plant flowerings, even other life which hides underground and pops out once every few years when a flood occurs.

If some wierd and wonderful method was devised to capture this water, it would essentially kill the centre of Australia..

And the Murray is exploited througout its full length.

One of Australias biggest problems regarding water consumption is what people farm. Its crazy that people are growing huge quantities of rice, cotton, citrus, tea, coffee etc on one of the worlds driest landmasses. Irrigating land for cattle is another cause. It is inneficient.

The fact that aussies like a bath and a swim in the pool simply compounds the problem.
I understand why you have your views Peter, You probably take a keen interest in the environment which should obviously be a good thing. There are a number of ways I could form a reply. Howabout I just point at the centre of the USA, Obviously there was a natural ecosystem that was destroyed there throughout the wheatbelt. Imagine if there had been the outcry that there is these days, at the start of the development of those lands. Part of that development is probably one of the reasons why the US is in a strong position these days. I'd be amazed if at some point some irrigation or watering isn't used there.

Ok lets come back home to Melbourne, I've got one of the greenest gardens around, lots of tropical and subtrpical and imported plants, hardly a native to be seen. They need lots of water. I like lush green gardens, I dont like brown native plants. I can't water them freely from the tap, so I use grey water, Im also developing my own watertank system from 240 litre waste disposal bins used in unison, until I've got enough to be self sufficient (240 litre bins cost 40 bucks each as opposed to 500 bucks plus for a 1000 litre tank)...... consequence complaints from the neighbours to the waterboard as to how I'm watering my garden, as opposed to their brown native gardens. I'm conserving water yet watering my green garden, they are letting theirs flush away. It's me that cops the flack though !!! Great natural plant loving environmentlists some of these Neighbours.

Finally Global warming, Ice caps Melt, water swamps islands. I'm no enviornmentalist, but there is something wrong in this water conservation movement somewhere. Supposedly there is going to be more precipitation, albeit in the wrong places.

Are you sure you enviornmentalists havn't been conned ?

Where is it all going to stop.... when we are only allowed to use electricty for 10 hours per day ?

I see a swampie these days, and I get damn annoyed.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 8:23 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

ozzieeagle, i take a keen interest in the environement yes. Its where i live and work, so i need to. Im no swampy however...

Firstly, i commend you for using such water conservation methods as you do. Collecting rain water, using grey water.. water your garden as much as you desire.

Something to think about though.. These brown natives you dislike so much, why do you think they do so well? Its because they are designed to live in the dry australian environ. They do not need watering.

Finally Global warming, Ice caps Melt, water swamps islands. I'm no enviornmentalist, but there is something wrong in this water conservation movement somewhere. Supposedly there is going to be more precipitation, albeit in the wrong places.
Melting polar caps are increasing (very very slowing) the sea level. So if you drink salt water then fine i guess. There is no evidence that i have seen that precipitation levels anywhere are rising....

You also quote the US as having a strong position. Sure they do, in terms of military power, or global economy. They also produce more polution than anywhere else on the planet.... and have to deal with the sid effects of this.

Are you sure you enviornmentalists havn't been conned ?
Conned about what? Its plain to see what we do to the places we populate.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by PeteY
ozzieeagle, i take a keen interest in the environement yes. Its where i live and work, so i need to. Im no swampy however...

Firstly, i commend you for using such water conservation methods as you do. Collecting rain water, using grey water.. water your garden as much as you desire.

Something to think about though.. These brown natives you dislike so much, why do you think they do so well? Its because they are designed to live in the dry australian environ. They do not need watering.

Melting polar caps are increasing (very very slowing) the sea level. So if you drink salt water then fine i guess. There is no evidence that i have seen that precipitation levels anywhere are rising....

You also quote the US as having a strong position. Sure they do, in terms of military power, or global economy. They also produce more polution than anywhere else on the planet.... and have to deal with the sid effects of this.

Conned about what? Its plain to see what we do to the places we populate.

Thanks for the reasoned reply. Yes I know about natives, and other climate suitable plants. I perservered with them for my first 10 or so years here, My own personal choice is they are dull. Thats just my preference.

Only thing I can think of to counter your view, is polution could be a step towards evolution, in otherwords it has to bring about change. Ever since man first split the atom, I reckon Mankind and Nature have been neck and neck in a race, that progress and mankind could win.

There has obviously been major climate change before, Nature has even caused it's own polution, volcanos etc. If you look at the whole we are just part of that chain... waste and enviornmental change inclusive.

To sum up a few butterflies or even some rare marsupials (I'd even go as far as hoardes of buffalo) Could be worth the change that man could kickstart nature with. Comes down to preference, in my book.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
I just saw that - he claims that the feminisation of fish in recyled water could also happen in the human population. He has called on Govt to get industry to recycle and Beattie has put out a press release saying Campbell should do that.

Seems Beattie has washed his hands of it- though presumably not in that girly recylced stuff - he has enough problems with man boobs already.
Endocrine Disruptors is what he's referring to, I guess. They're the hot topic in the water industry in the UK - there isn't an easy way to get them out of the water supply, so the answer seems to be stop them going into it in the first place.

Which is, of course, easier to do if you take the water straight off the end of a treatment plant. Water companies can, and do, apply trade waste regulations as to what companies can put into their waste - if the company wants to dispose of something different they pay for the upgrade to the plant to handle it (I simplify...). Endocrine disruptors aren't really a part of that yet, but they probably will be as more becomes known about them.

Have I bored you enough yet?

By the way, OzzieEagle, I love your approach to the garden - if you want something enough, there's a way to do it without breaking any laws. (I am with PeteY on the environmental stuff though...)
Old Jul 30th 2006, 9:36 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Nicstids
Not all of us are hillbillies you know. Some of us only have one head too
Don't believe her, she has got two heads.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 9:47 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Don't believe her, she has got two heads.
Only so she can bill twice the hours
What would Gedge say?