Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving in Oz on UK licence

Driving in Oz on UK licence

Old Sep 27th 2008, 2:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Oz on UK licence

Originally Posted by Seasider
Sorry JAJ, ABC Diamond is correct; you can't get one for six months on a 457 and the important word in his C&P is "continuous". Any travelling and you start counting again, which we just have.
New policy, so I stand corrected. Many jurisdictions are moving to restrict temporary residents having driving licences so I would expect the same thing to start appearing in other states.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 3:32 am
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

Location: Originally Cornwall, 12 years in the Middle East, NSW now
sinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry JAJ, ABC Diamond is correct; you can't get one for six months on a 457 and the important word in his C&P is "continuous". Any travelling and you start counting again, which we just have.

Eww we weren´t informed of the continuous bit - that won´t please hubby who is usually off to NZ on business once a month
Old Sep 29th 2008, 3:39 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if you can get business trips discounted? Not that it's a huge deal for a driving licence, but I've heard (yet to confirm) that you can for the citizenship counter.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 3:44 am
what 2 do 2 get 4 stars?

Location: Originally Cornwall, 12 years in the Middle East, NSW now
sinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of lightsinderelle is a glorious beacon of light

I wonder if you can get business trips discounted? Not that it's a huge deal for a driving licence, but I've heard (yet to confirm) that you can for the citizenship counter.
We can but ask - they can only say no and like you said it´s ´no biggy´really - will let you know what happens in November
Old Sep 29th 2008, 4:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on whether they mean "continuous residence" or "continuous physical presence".
Old Sep 29th 2008, 7:12 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

That's worth checking - thanks, JAJ.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

MattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really nice

Thanks for the replies all. Reading what's been put, I think I might apply for an SA licence pretty much straight away as there will be no record of my points then and I'll effectively have a clean licence

I assume that Oz insurers won't have any way in which to check my UK claim/accident history?
Old Sep 30th 2008, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MattW82
Thanks for the replies all. Reading what's been put, I think I might apply for an SA licence pretty much straight away as there will be no record of my points then and I'll effectively have a clean licence

I assume that Oz insurers won't have any way in which to check my UK claim/accident history?
If you get your licence changed before you buy a car, then when you do buy, and get insurance, you can legitimately claim that you have no points on your Australian licence. They'll not go to the hassle and bother to work out if you have ever had points overseas, and I don;t believe the system between the UK and Aus are that sophisticated yet, if ever, to be able to clarify this.

That's what I'd do anyway in your situation - since you'll need a clean licence since the majority of states have this OTT policy towards speeding which is all about cash!
Old Sep 30th 2008, 7:55 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattW82

They may well do if ever you have to claim.

Remember that most insurance companies are multinationals and are mostly all underwritten by Lloyds