Driving in Oz.

Old Oct 27th 2007, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light
Default Driving in Oz.

Hi guys,

Heading to gold coast in 4 weeks Yipee!!!!

Just looking for info on driving with british driving licence, how long have we got till we need to sit test?

Is it just a theory test and were can I swot up on the highway code?

Also, we're gonna hire a car and need car seats, what kinda seat do I get for 2 n 1/2 year old and 15 month old? Site I was looking at choices were baby seat or booster seat.

Cheers
Mandy
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Oz.

Originally Posted by mandyp
Hi guys,

Just looking for info on driving with british driving licence, how long have we got till we need to sit test?

Also, we're gonna hire a car and need car seats, what kinda seat do I get for 2 n 1/2 year old and 15 month old? Site I was looking at choices were baby seat or booster seat.

Cheers
Mandy

If you have a full english licence, then there is no test. You have three months to swap it over
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:33 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
If you have a full english licence, then there is no test. You have three months to swap it over

How annoying is that !!!

Me and Debs failed theory test 2 times each before passing !!!

Then i find out, thats all changed .. sheeshhh
Old Oct 27th 2007, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandyp
Hi guys,

Cheers
Mandy

with regards to seats for kids. we have 3 who need seats. we will be buying a booster type seat with back for 3yr old and twins who will be 2 when arrive (they are heavy for age). most convertable carseats are suitable from birth to 18kg... Then you move onto the booster type seats. Same as UK i guess, yet there is no law to say what seats they need to be in, just that you need to use the apropriate form of child restraint.(which unfortunatly some people still see as a seatbelt or best still their arms):curse: But dont get me started!

S-j x good luck

ps. try toysrus... not bad choice and price ok, but more than uk.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

itsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really niceitsjustmee is just really nice

Don't Speed The Highway Police love to book you
and if you get stopped by the police be nice
Old Oct 28th 2007, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

smee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to allsmee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe
with regards to seats for kids. we have 3 who need seats. we will be buying a booster type seat with back for 3yr old and twins who will be 2 when arrive (they are heavy for age). most convertable carseats are suitable from birth to 18kg... Then you move onto the booster type seats. Same as UK i guess, yet there is no law to say what seats they need to be in, just that you need to use the apropriate form of child restraint.(which unfortunatly some people still see as a seatbelt or best still their arms):curse: But dont get me started!

S-j x good luck

ps. try toysrus... not bad choice and price ok, but more than uk.
I am with you on the child restraint issue. It make my blood boil and it takes all my might not to say something to people who don't use approriate child restraints and expect an adult seat belt to keep a child safe in an accident.
I think Australia needs to follow the Uk and set down definate child restraint guidlines for children who no longer require a baby seat.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 2:59 am
skye

Queensland Ambulance Service do a baby/child seat hire service - called baby capsule, here is the link if it helps!

http://www.ambulance.qld.gov.au/comm...bycapsules.asp

Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by skye
Queensland Ambulance Service do a baby/child seat hire service - called baby capsule, here is the link if it helps!

http://www.ambulance.qld.gov.au/comm...bycapsules.asp
Cheers guys,

So glad to hear that it's just a straight swap for the licence, yipee!!!

The car seat thing, it was just that the car rental companies said either baby seat or booster seat, very vague!! If I was comparing that info here I would see a baby seat as up to 9 months and a booster seat from 4 years n my two are in the middle of this both in the stage 1 car seats at the moment!!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Oct 29th 2007, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Astronaut is an unknown quantity at this point

We've found that different rental companies call the baby / infant / child seat different things. It's best to confirm by telephone on that sort of thing, rather than rely on ticking a box on an online form. If you tell them precisely the age and weight of the child they will ensure it's a suitable seat.

When we took our 2.5 yr old we could only get a regular booster seat with a back (although we were using a stage 2 type in the UK). It was fine though, he was quite happy and safe in it, and he was delighted to have the same seat as his older brother.

Tip: If you've got any of those mesh stick on sun-screens, take them with you! Also an idea to put an old towel ('borrow' one from hotel) under the car seat to save any issues with food and drink spillages damaging the seats and risking your deposit.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 9:01 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
How annoying is that !!!

Me and Debs failed theory test 2 times each before passing !!!

Then i find out, thats all changed .. sheeshhh
Me thinks money-making scam?
Just after I got my licence back in the '80s, they took testing responsibilty from the Police and gave it to the Dept assessors. Guarantee given that males would be required to sit (and pay) for more than one test with the local male assessor, and that young women would pass first time.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Wendy
Hi,

Is this correct??

I thought that after 3 months we still have to sit a test but the theory test is waived.

If this is true happy days
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by markandgill
Hi,

Is this correct??

I thought that after 3 months we still have to sit a test but the theory test is waived.

Check this out:

Overseas licence holders
An amendment was made to the Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Driver Licensing) Regulation 1999 on 1 March 2006, exempting New Zealand licence holders, and certain other overseas licence holders, from having to complete the written road rules test and pay the prescribed fee for a car and/or motorbike licence.

Queensland Transport recognises driver licences issued from the following countries:

Austria
Belgium
Canada
Croatia
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Ireland
Italy
Japan
Luxembourg
the Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Portugal
Singapore
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
the United Kingdom
the United States of America
Applicants from these counties (excluding applicants from external territories of those recognised countries) are not required to take a written road rules or practical driving test when applying for a car or motorcycle licence in Queensland.

Testing requirements do apply for overseas licence holders when applying for a heavy vehicle (classes LR, MR, HR, HC and MC) licence. Successful completion of the written road rules test and the practical driving test for heavy vehicle classes still apply. Driver licence holders who currently hold a heavy vehicle class of licence issued from New Zealand will only be required to take a written road rules test on heavy vehicles.

Related information:
road rules—Your keys to driving in Queensland
international drivers—frequently asked questions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last updated 14 August 2007

This is from the gov website...........hope it helps
Old Oct 31st 2007, 1:03 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markandgill
Hi,

Is this correct??

Happy days it is - definitely no tests.

You'll probably find that you have a huge list of different categories on your UK license - these will translate into a simple basic car license in Qld. As the previous post said you'll only need to do a new test if you have any special categories on your UK license that you want to keep, HGV etc.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bcworld
Happy days it is - definitely no tests.

You'll probably find that you have a huge list of different categories on your UK license - these will translate into a simple basic car license in Qld. As the previous post said you'll only need to do a new test if you have any special categories on your UK license that you want to keep, HGV etc.
Cheers guys,

Happy days indeed, a saving of some cash and swotting time!!!

Went for the front facing baby seats, these appear to go up to 4 years. It's basically just for a few days till we buy some!!!

Cheers
Mandy