Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving Manual vs Automatic

Driving Manual vs Automatic

Old Feb 18th 2007, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Manual vs Automatic

Originally Posted by ed_the_lad
I've heard alot of people talking in the past about automatics being alot easier than manual to drive so today i decided to give the automatic a test.
I'm in Melbourne at the moment staying at my friends house while he's on holiday and his car isnt.
I havent drove a car for about 5 years and i decided its about time i got back behind the wheel.The car in question is a white cadillac,looks more like a boat than a car if you ask me.Anyway fairly nervous i start her up, a few hiccups to begin, but i guess i dont need to worry about the gears just use D,(i had to run inside to check this on the net) . As soon as i pull off from the curb i realise this may not be such a good idea as the cars to big and i cant judge the width or length and i keep getting confused with the feet and the indicator on the left instead of the right, the indicator really annoyed me.
Maneuvering this car around the car park was a disaster, it has a hugh tail end that i couldnt see, also the drivers side mirror was broken.
This 20 minute drive and park has definitely been the most stressful experience since i've arrived.I was sweating buckets, give me the manual any day as i never felt i was fully in control without the gears.
I must rest now and contemplate about round 2 tomorrow, stay tuned!
Sounds like its more like a new car than the gears. People often report they feel they're not doing enough, rather than not being in control. Give it a few more hours and it will be a piece of piss.

Stick your left leg under the seat so you're not tempted to use it.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 9:25 pm
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future
Default Re: Driving Manual vs Automatic

I first drove an Automatic six years ago and have never bought a Manual since. It makes driving so much easier, especially in Sydney, where there are traffic lights every 100 yards and some very steep hills.