Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving Manual vs Automatic

Driving Manual vs Automatic

Old Feb 18th 2007, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

ed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really nice
Default Driving Manual vs Automatic

I've heard alot of people talking in the past about automatics being alot easier than manual to drive so today i decided to give the automatic a test.
I'm in Melbourne at the moment staying at my friends house while he's on holiday and his car isnt.
I havent drove a car for about 5 years and i decided its about time i got back behind the wheel.The car in question is a white cadillac,looks more like a boat than a car if you ask me.Anyway fairly nervous i start her up, a few hiccups to begin, but i guess i dont need to worry about the gears just use D,(i had to run inside to check this on the net) . As soon as i pull off from the curb i realise this may not be such a good idea as the cars to big and i cant judge the width or length and i keep getting confused with the feet and the indicator on the left instead of the right, the indicator really annoyed me.
Maneuvering this car around the car park was a disaster, it has a hugh tail end that i couldnt see, also the drivers side mirror was broken.
This 20 minute drive and park has definitely been the most stressful experience since i've arrived.I was sweating buckets, give me the manual any day as i never felt i was fully in control without the gears.
I must rest now and contemplate about round 2 tomorrow, stay tuned!
Old Feb 18th 2007, 6:40 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Manual vs Automatic

Originally Posted by ed_the_lad
the indicator on the left instead of the right, the indicator really annoyed me.
indicators on the right here!
Old Feb 18th 2007, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

ed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really niceed_the_lad is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ransi
Ops, i meant on the right instead of the left!
Old Feb 18th 2007, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ransi
Actually depends on the car. I think Japanese cars tend to have indicators on the right whereas the European cars have them on the left. My boyfriend has 2 Japanese cars ( a Honda and a Toyota) and the indicators are on the right but my VW has indicators on the left.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

seanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really nice

I've heard alot of people talking in the past about automatics being alot easier than manual to drive so today i decided to give the automatic a test.
I'm in Melbourne at the moment staying at my friends house while he's on holiday and his car isnt.
I havent drove a car for about 5 years and i decided its about time i got back behind the wheel.The car in question is a white cadillac,looks more like a boat than a car if you ask me.Anyway fairly nervous i start her up, a few hiccups to begin, but i guess i dont need to worry about the gears just use D,(i had to run inside to check this on the net) . As soon as i pull off from the curb i realise this may not be such a good idea as the cars to big and i cant judge the width or length and i keep getting confused with the feet and the indicator on the left instead of the right, the indicator really annoyed me.
Maneuvering this car around the car park was a disaster, it has a hugh tail end that i couldnt see, also the drivers side mirror was broken.
This 20 minute drive and park has definitely been the most stressful experience since i've arrived.I was sweating buckets, give me the manual any day as i never felt i was fully in control without the gears.
I'd never drove an automatic car until i arrived here, when i started working for the District Nursing Service, i had no choice, all their cars are automatic, after 10 mins i wondered why the hell i'd never bought one before, ok i reached for the gear stick a few times, or looked for the clutch, but after a few days i thought it was like driving a dodgem car, you just steer !!!
its so easy, my next car will definantly be automatic!
Old Feb 18th 2007, 10:20 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanandmaria
I'd never drove an automatic car until i arrived here, when i started working for the District Nursing Service, i had no choice, all their cars are automatic, after 10 mins i wondered why the hell i'd never bought one before, ok i reached for the gear stick a few times, or looked for the clutch, but after a few days i thought it was like driving a dodgem car, you just steer !!!
its so easy, my next car will definantly be automatic!
Don't like autos unless it's a big, layed back type car. Personnaly I much prefer manuals anyway - you have much more control over the car and what the engine's doing. They also use less fuel and are faster as you have less 'slip' with the auto clutch (new fangled VW etc DSG aside).

Graham
Old Feb 18th 2007, 10:28 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

but i guess i dont need to worry about the gears just use D,(i had to run inside to check this on the net) .
Just remember "R" is for Real Fast
Old Feb 18th 2007, 10:29 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner
Don't like autos unless it's a big, layed back type car. Personnaly I much prefer manuals anyway - you have much more control over the car and what the engine's doing. They also use less fuel and are faster as you have less 'slip' with the auto clutch (new fangled VW etc DSG aside).

Graham
I'm with you Autos are just dreadful to drive. You can't perform a decent sustained rev gear change, and the transition from one gear to another is always lumpy at best. Give me a sensible gear stick anyday. It gives you much more control over your car, and is much more effective when involved in properly controlled cornering, evasive maneauvers and high speed pursuits through dense traffic

S
Old Feb 18th 2007, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I had so many driving lessons in the UK, but could never get my head around the gear thing. I was that busy concentration on changing the gear I couldn't drive the damn car

I've just got my learners permit and thank God for automatics, I might be able to drive sometime this year
Old Feb 18th 2007, 10:48 am
STRIKE HARD STRIKE SURE

Whitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to beholdWhitby whaler is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Actually depends on the car. I think Japanese cars tend to have indicators on the right whereas the European cars have them on the left. My boyfriend has 2 Japanese cars ( a Honda and a Toyota) and the indicators are on the right but my VW has indicators on the left.
Correct
Old Feb 18th 2007, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

We have a manual ute and manual family car, last week we hired a people mover (Toyota Tarrago) an automatic and can honestly say did not want to hand it back it was a dream to drive. It felt like you were sitting in an arm chair, set the cruise control and away you go. The gear changes seemed so smooth. Will definitely consider an automatic when it comes to changing the cars

John
Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:13 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
We have a manual ute and manual family car, last week we hired a people mover (Toyota Tarrago) an automatic and can honestly say did not want to hand it back it was a dream to drive. It felt like you were sitting in an arm chair, set the cruise control and away you go. The gear changes seemed so smooth. Will definitely consider an automatic when it comes to changing the cars

John
That's not driving!
Old Feb 18th 2007, 1:20 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I have a VW and a Nissan and always get them mixed up. I often turn corners with the indicators going!
Old Feb 18th 2007, 3:42 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Driving Manual vs Automatic

Correct.

I prefer Japanese cars for this reason, and bought one when I came to the UK.

The left-hand-side orientation really bugs me; just can't get used to it.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 3:44 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Driving Manual vs Automatic

To be fair, it sounds like the problem was not the gearbox but the sheer size of the car.

Yank tanks are not known for their agility.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.