Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving license deadline

Driving license deadline

Old Dec 10th 2003, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all
Default Re: New Driving Licence

we had ordered a new vehicle from the uk to pick up in sydney when we arrived back in september. (a red ute by the way!!)
upon checking by phone with the dealer about arranging the pick up and what to bring, they said you must have an aussie driving licence. this horrified alan and i, imagining weeks waiting, the post etc. - as it would have been in the uk.
well, we arranged it all online, able to even choose the time we wanted to take it - the next day! swatted up using the mock tests on the website and went along to the test place in central sydney. i got 43/45 and alan got 45/45! just as someone said before, they take a quick pic and there you go - two shiny new driving licences!
we came up here to the goldcoast, to change address on the licences just go to "drive in" centre and they stick a little sticker on the back, no charge.
it has all been a breeze after living with slow uk systems all our lives!
karen
Old Dec 10th 2003, 9:18 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: driving licence

Originally posted by faye_gillan
Thanks,

That doesnt sound too bad then. Think we could both pass the practical. Do you know what costs are involved?

Cheers
The $15 I mentioned was just for the Theory Test, then there is the licence fee, on an annual or three year basis. I am not sure of the cost of that, sorry.

Old Dec 10th 2003, 11:14 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: driving licence

Originally posted by faye_gillan
Thanks,

That doesnt sound too bad then. Think we could both pass the practical. Do you know what costs are involved?

Cheers
yes it's about $15 (or was it $19? sorry can't remember, but it was definitely under $20) Then you pay for your licence.. you can get one, two, three four and a five year one..price depends on what licence you get. I got the five year one. cost me around $100 and something for the 5 year one (I think.. I haven't got the receipts on me.)
Old Dec 11th 2003, 8:21 am
FayenPaul

faye_gillan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that there is so much info to take in need to get our notepads going.