Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving license deadline

Driving license deadline

Old Nov 27th 2003, 11:51 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ... in excess

Originally posted by topcat
Thanks for all the posts people.

I've just been struck dumb by the hire car companies. Most want 20$+ per day on top of the usual car hire price if you want to reduce the excess from around 2000 dollars(!) to 350 (payable by yours truly even if the accident was entirely some one else's fault apparently).

Is there anyway around this or is this `normal' out here? I remember being stung in America in a similar way, but for a good, ha well more reasonable, reason: you could be covered under your own car insurance when hiring another car.

TC
Last year we hired a car in Sydney for a couple of weeks, used National because they only had a $300 excess.

Would you believe it - for the first time ever when hiring I managed to reverse into a concrete support and did $1300 woth of scraping! They relieved me of the $300 and that was that.

Usually not so lucky.

National!
Old Nov 27th 2003, 9:08 pm
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Driving license deadline

Originally posted by mashiraz
We were slightly over the 3 months when we took the test, we just 'forgot' to take our passport in. they aked for it but it didn't seem to matter.

We also took our practical test as in SA you had to....unitil 4 days after we took ours then they changed the rules, bugger!!

So at least we have the satisfaction of saying we passed the full test. Many things are much easier with Aussie ID, so worth it just for the plastic card with photo on it!

Mash
Hi Mash.

You say that they have changed the rules in SA. Does this mean that we no longer have to take a practical test? I really hope so!

Sally
Old Nov 27th 2003, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sally,

Well that's what 2 other people said a week or so ago, I think it was Ruffy who failed, then made appointment to retake practical and was told no need to bother...

Not sure if they've updated this on the TransportSA website though.

Tell you what, sit it for the fun of it! Hahaha

Theory is fine if you learn the give ways (need 8 out of 8) then 28 ot of 40 other questions. We read the Hanbook, tested each other, did the test on the website and both got 38 out of 40. Some rules are different than UK..

Good luck
Mash

Originally posted by sally1968
Hi Mash.

You say that they have changed the rules in SA. Does this mean that we no longer have to take a practical test? I really hope so!

Sally
Old Dec 1st 2003, 12:14 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
If you had read that book you threw in the bin Ceri you would know that you are allowed to overtake on the left on any multilaned road .

If you had read my statement correctly you'd have seen I was taking the mick out of the "unsafe" laws here, tongue in cheek. I'm fully aware of you can take on the left if it is safe to do so. I've been driving here for the past 6 years.

Nothing worse than some idiot who sits in the right hand lane chugging along .. ie not turning , just holding up everybody (incidentally I find it's woman that are the worst offenders) .. and I am forced to overtake on the left (which any safe driver will actually realise the dangers of this..)
cheers.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 1:00 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I passed my Qld test last week like Ceri says it's very easy I've been here for a couple of weeks now and passed after reading the book for a few evenings. Yep there are some crazy rules and driving here is just like competing in the Le Mans somedays.
Still not bought a Ute though
Old Dec 1st 2003, 1:39 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by cresta57
I passed my Qld test last week like Ceri says it's very easy I've been here for a couple of weeks now and passed after reading the book for a few evenings. Yep there are some crazy rules and driving here is just like competing in the Le Mans somedays.
Still not bought a Ute though
I think I need an armoured personal carrier some days.. I wonder if the army has got one going spare?

P.S I found out what my hubby got wrong.. the roundabout sign.. he said it was roundabout, there was another answer there ... which meant give way to all on roundabout.

His words "bl**dy stupid gits... that's bl**dy obvious you give way to all on the roundabout "

I've told him to try it again and try and think simple/child like

Anyway .. yes it's very simple the theory test.. I'm still winding hubby up about failing (he's one of the safest driver I know) ..lol, he hates failing at anything.

Cheers
Old Dec 1st 2003, 1:50 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

I love being able to overtake on the left! I always used to get really wound up driving in the UK with selfish roadhogs who'd jam up the overtaking lane(s), not letting anyone past, doing 20mph under the limit. 'But I'm going to turn right in 10 miles - I need to be in this lane....' Pah!

Now I just smile, cruise past inside them, and thoroughly enjoy my driving.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 6:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Ceri
just dispelling the myth of this three month rule.. and if you leave it you will have to take the practical too.
Ceri
Are you sure about this ? I'm not discounting what you say, just worried as I have gone past the three month rule, and don't fancy taking a practical test.

Old Dec 5th 2003, 1:45 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Ceri
Are you sure about this ? I'm not discounting what you say, just worried as I have gone past the three month rule, and don't fancy taking a practical test.
I'm sat in the library at the moment and it says in the "keys to driving in QLD" that you only need to take the theory test [page 39 foreign driver licence] there's no mention of a practicle should you outstay the 3 month rule though it could be covered elsewhere in the book.
check out the web page on:
www.queensland-holidays.com.au/driving
Old Dec 5th 2003, 2:04 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by downunderpom
I love being able to overtake on the left! I always used to get really wound up driving in the UK with selfish roadhogs who'd jam up the overtaking lane(s), not letting anyone past, doing 20mph under the limit. 'But I'm going to turn right in 10 miles - I need to be in this lane....' Pah!

Now I just smile, cruise past inside them, and thoroughly enjoy my driving.
I must try to think more like you,
I still can't get used to them sticking on the right.

Even when they are joining a road, some of them will wait at the intersection, ignoring the empty left lane, and wait for a gap in the right lane, before coming straight out.

Those of you who haven't been here yet, will know what I mean when you get here.
Its worse in NSW, but becoming more noticeable in QLD, probably following the increasing NSW migation to QLD.

Cresta, Thanks for that link, I will see if I can find anything on it.

Old Dec 8th 2003, 11:23 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Ceri
Pretty sure.. well I got away with it. I've been driving in Aus just over 6 years, 4 years on a business visa, two on PR.. only now, I went and got my licence.
I think the key to it is look dizzy/flustered.

If they ask why you have not taken your test earlier (they didn't ask me), just say you've been travelling in and out of the state. Only now you have settled (residing) into your state (Qld or where ever you are).

The girl behind the counter did not even look at my PR visa, I gave her my passport (I held it open on the back page for her - my photo and passport number, I didn't really want her to see my visa page) , my over 18 card (which I got 6 years ago) and that was it.. she handed me the paper test (no computers in our P.O) I sat down ticked the questions.. she marked them,took a mug shot of me, waited five minutes.. paid for my licence and that was it. One QLD licence.

Cheers
Old Dec 9th 2003, 12:27 pm
FayenPaul

faye_gillan is an unknown quantity at this point
Question New Driving Licence

Hiya,

After watching an immigration video from "Outboud Publishing" we were surprised to learn that we shall need to take another driving test to get and OZ Licence.

We are immigrating to Newcastle, NSW - do we need to get this straight away? Is it similiar to the UK driving tests, is there a theory test also?

Cheers

FayenPaul
Ozzie Wannabies
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:40 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: New Driving Licence

Originally posted by faye_gillan
Hiya,

After watching an immigration video from "Outboud Publishing" we were surprised to learn that we shall need to take another driving test to get and OZ Licence.

We are immigrating to Newcastle, NSW - do we need to get this straight away? Is it similiar to the UK driving tests, is there a theory test also?

Cheers

FayenPaul
Ozzie Wannabies
It is just a theory test. (99.9% sure of that)

And you are supposed to get it within 3 months of arriving in the state you go to. Otherwise you can be done for driving without a valid licence.

Each State has its own Driving licence, and if you move states, then you need to change licence, again within 3 months.

But once you have any Australian State licence, you can just swap it for any other state at no cost.

Old Dec 10th 2003, 8:23 am
FayenPaul

faye_gillan is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking driving licence

Thanks,

That doesnt sound too bad then. Think we could both pass the practical. Do you know what costs are involved?

Cheers
Old Dec 10th 2003, 5:59 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: driving licence

Originally posted by faye_gillan
Thanks,

That doesnt sound too bad then. Think we could both pass the practical. Do you know what costs are involved?

Cheers
I think it was $15. I'll find out again soon, I have to try again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.