Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving Licences

Driving Licences

Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

ClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really nice
Default Driving Licences

Hello

Wonder if any one can help. Do you know if your driving licence needs to be valid for a certain amount of time (like a passport has to be valid for at least six months) to get an Australian driving licence. I arrive in October and my driving licence runs out in January 09.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Claire
Old Aug 26th 2008, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licences

As far as I know you apply for a brand new licence in Oz and so you should be fine.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Hi Claire
If you are coming to Victoria and your on a PR Visa you have to change it to a Vic one within 3 months so it wouldn't matter at all. Also in Vic you don't need to sit a test it is a case of just making an appointment to change the license over.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

ClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really nice

That is great. Thank you very much for your replies. Now I won't have to spend £80 for driving licences I will be changing anyway.
Cheers
Claire
Old Aug 27th 2008, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

they'll get your wallet one way or another - just swapped my UK licence for a south australian one - cost $41 for a one year licence or $275 for a 10 year licence. Plus postage to send my UK licence back to the UK (you have to surrender the UK licence as you can only hold one licence, and to stop them chasing you in the UK for the £80 plus fining you for not renewing it)
Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by donovandenese
they'll get your wallet one way or another - just swapped my UK licence for a south australian one - cost $41 for a one year licence or $275 for a 10 year licence. Plus postage to send my UK licence back to the UK (you have to surrender the UK licence as you can only hold one licence, and to stop them chasing you in the UK for the £80 plus fining you for not renewing it)

Yikes... we are off to South Australia. We are only going on a SIR visa though but we thought it would be best to get an Aussie licence incase we got jobs that involve driving. Nevermind.
Cheers for that.