Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

driving licences??

driving licences??

Old Jun 25th 2005, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

island.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant future
Default driving licences??

hi everyone, im after a bit of advise please! can we use our UK driving licences in oz long term or is there some other kind of test we have to do? any info much appreciared!
Old Jun 25th 2005, 1:47 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving licences??

Originally Posted by island.girl
hi everyone, im after a bit of advise please! can we use our UK driving licences in oz long term or is there some other kind of test we have to do? any info much appreciared!
The rules vary between states and the type of visa you will have IG.

Tell us more
Old Jun 25th 2005, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

island.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bix
The rules vary between states and the type of visa you will have IG.

Tell us more
were heading to wollongong NSW and the visa is 136 independant!
Old Jun 25th 2005, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

Well lucky you they will just swap ur licence, no test needed since u are going to be in NSW...

this has been discussed lately, maybe do a search with driver's licence or driving licence...

Have a great week end!

fabie
Old Jun 25th 2005, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by swissfabs
Well lucky you they will just swap ur licence, no test needed since u are going to be in NSW...

this has been discussed lately, maybe do a search with driver's licence or driving licence...

Have a great week end!

fabie
thankyou so much fabie, that is one less thing to worry about! and yes lucky us!! cheers!
Old Jun 25th 2005, 2:27 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

thankyou so much fabie, that is one less thing to worry about! and yes lucky us!! cheers!
Yeah, nice one.
You will probably need passports and proof of residency in NSW (eg utility bill) .........and dosh of course.
Old Jun 25th 2005, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bix
Yeah, nice one.
You will probably need passports and proof of residency in NSW (eg utility bill) .........and dosh of course.
Thanks Bix, i forgot to mention this whole bit!
Old Jun 25th 2005, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

We just took our UK driving licence and our bank statement to the RTA and within 10-15 mins we had our new licence complete with ugly photo. Makes it much easier if you are buying a car to register it.

Cheers Jo
Old Jun 25th 2005, 11:32 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

i walked into qld transport with a 2 night reciept from a hostel/backpackers place, and they accepted that as a form of I.D. Thats ridiculously slack.
alk
Old Jun 26th 2005, 1:12 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by alkristensen
i walked into qld transport with a 2 night reciept from a hostel/backpackers place, and they accepted that as a form of I.D. Thats ridiculously slack.
alk
QLD Transport are a bit more laid back They didn't even bother doing an eye test for me

Old Jun 26th 2005, 5:39 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Ahhhhh, so how about if your on a temp Visa - Student Visa ?

Anyone know that one (Queensland)?

I was under the impression I'd swap it (with test if needed), and didn't think the type of Visa came into it

Maybe I keep my UK one till I get PR (if I do ?!?)

Cheers
Old Jun 26th 2005, 7:24 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Ahhhhh, so how about if your on a temp Visa - Student Visa ?

Anyone know that one (Queensland)?

I was under the impression I'd swap it (with test if needed), and didn't think the type of Visa came into it

Maybe I keep my UK one till I get PR (if I do ?!?)

Cheers
I believe the rules are that you cant drive for more than three months in Qld regardless of visa without getting the licence. that means 3 mths residence in qld. I finally passed mine the penultimate day after 2 failures cos I refused to read the manuals (ive read them now ;-) ). Google 'driving in queensland' and you'll get the 6 page PDF file that if you read before the test you should pass pretty easy. The main thing to get the hang of is giving way they make you get 9/10 on that one and they're quite tricky some of them - so read & re-read that bit and you'll be right. Other than that $15 for the test and about 20$ for 24mths licence or up to 60$ for a 5yr licence.
Old Jun 26th 2005, 12:01 pm
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy

PortJackson is on a distinguished road

How long do you have your UK licence ? If less than 3 years you will be on P plates
Old Jun 26th 2005, 12:44 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by joho
We just took our UK driving licence and our bank statement to the RTA and within 10-15 mins we had our new licence complete with ugly photo. Makes it much easier if you are buying a car to register it.
We bought a car and registered it just by showing our UK driving licenses. Easy.
Old Jun 26th 2005, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by spalen
I believe the rules are that you cant drive for more than three months in Qld regardless of visa without getting the licence. that means 3 mths residence in qld. I finally passed mine the penultimate day after 2 failures cos I refused to read the manuals (ive read them now ;-) ). Google 'driving in queensland' and you'll get the 6 page PDF file that if you read before the test you should pass pretty easy. The main thing to get the hang of is giving way they make you get 9/10 on that one and they're quite tricky some of them - so read & re-read that bit and you'll be right. Other than that $15 for the test and about 20$ for 24mths licence or up to 60$ for a 5yr licence.
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.