Driving licence in Melbourne

Driving licence in Melbourne

Old May 23rd 2004, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

vivalasvegan is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Driving licence in Melbourne

Hiya,

Secured residency and fly in October...

Can I sort out a driving licence for Victoria before I leave or do I do it when I land??

Do I need to get an international licence in the interim?

My Aussie wife had a terrible time getting her licence sorted for Britain. Vic Roads were hopeless...

Thanks guys...

Vivalasvegan...
Old May 23rd 2004, 7:43 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Driving licence in Melbourne

Originally posted by vivalasvegan
Hiya,

Secured residency and fly in October...

Can I sort out a driving licence for Victoria before I leave or do I do it when I land??

Do I need to get an international licence in the interim?

My Aussie wife had a terrible time getting her licence sorted for Britain. Vic Roads were hopeless...

Thanks guys...

Vivalasvegan...

Needs to be done over here in Melbourne, they have to take your photo & put it on the licence. You have 3 months to sit the multiple choice test. Your UK licence is ok for that 3 month, no international one needed.
Old May 24th 2004, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you mean Vic roads are hopeless??
We are hopefully going to Melbourne so all Info welcome?
Old May 24th 2004, 1:09 am
I'm an individual!

Centurix is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation

I've always found VicRoads very helpful. You can do most things online at www.vicroads.vic.gov.au. With the exception of getting the licence in the first place.
Old May 26th 2004, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

vivalasvegan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wife of vivalasvegan

Vicroads are usually fine, it's just that they failed me somewhat in my particular circumstance because they didn't specify that I needed to send them evidence of my married name when I applied for a renewal. To them I was still using my maiden name, so I had to repeat the application process all over again (sending them all sorts of identification) - from across the big pond and it took 3 months to sort out. In the intrim, I could not be insured to drive in the U.K without my aussie licence and I was 5 month pregnant and had to do a 3 hour round trip on U.K public transport each day to work until it was sorted, blah, blah... Provided you know what you need to do and that you double check that they know what you need to do, noone should have a problem with Vicroads.