Driving Licence

Old Oct 13th 2005, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice
Default Driving Licence

Hi,

I have a full UK driving licence and am wondering what I will need to do to carry on driving in Australia (Melborne or Sydney).

Do you have to take any tests or get a new licence?

cheers.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 8:48 pm
Marvin for PM

Whitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really nice
Default Re: Driving Licence

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
Hi,

I have a full UK driving licence and am wondering what I will need to do to carry on driving in Australia (Melborne or Sydney).

cheers.
HIya
think you can drive initially but have to have some sort of test later...
just wanted to reply cause i noticed nobody else had.... and nobody ever replies to my questions either ....sulking -----> ange
Old Oct 13th 2005, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Whitby Wanderers
HIya
just wanted to reply cause i noticed nobody else had.... and nobody ever replies to my questions either ....sulking -----> ange

I think you have 6 months of use then have to apply for an ozzie one,not sure though.
You'll find at this time,only really getting uk comments as the expats are sleeping,you will get some more replies later on when they are up,just 'bump' your thread in the morning to bring it up to the top for them to see and therefore help,cheers,
Lynn
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:00 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Driving Licence

Hi,

cheers.
You can drive with it for 3 months, after which you're required to get an Aussie license.

This will involve taking a test, but the upside is that you get a full Aussie license at the end of it; not a probational.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:05 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Whitby Wanderers
HIya
If its NSW, heres the info you requested:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...l_drivers.html
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:09 pm
Marvin for PM

Whitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really nice

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
I think you have 6 months of use then have to apply for an ozzie one,not sure though.
You'll find at this time,only really getting uk comments as the expats are sleeping,you will get some more replies later on when they are up,just 'bump' your thread in the morning to bring it up to the top for them to see and therefore help,cheers,
Lynn
thanks lynne...---> too sensitive i guess
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:12 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Does anyone know if you have to take a separate test for a motorbike licence (as we do in the uk) or if it is included in your standard licence (as it used to be in the uk a few years ago)?

Tiggs
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:13 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Driving Licence

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
Hi
Does anyone know if you have to take a separate test for a motorbike licence (as we do in the uk) or if it is included in your standard licence (as it used to be in the uk a few years ago)?

Tiggs
Yes, it's a separate license for bikes.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!
Each state has its own rules so it will depend where you're moving to! Here in Melbourne you can drive on your uk licence for 3 months if you are on permanent visa (if you are on a temp visa you can drive on your uk licence for as long as your visa). You just make an appointment with vic roads and turn up with your uk licence, other form of id (passport), proof of address and the money!! They issue you with either a 3 or 10 year licence on the spot - no tests required!

Ruth
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:24 pm
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: Driving Licence

The 3 month rule is nationwide and therefore exempt from state variation.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

In SA you have to pass a theory test before you can swap your licence for an Aussie one.

You can practice the test online HERE
Old Oct 14th 2005, 7:56 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Hi,

cheers.
If you are PR then you can drive on your UK licence for 3 months. If you are on a temp visa then you can drive on your UK licence all the time.

Whether you have to take a test or not depends on the state. Most of the states now just swap the licence (Vic and NSW included). If you have held the UK licence for less than 3 years you will be transferred to a probationary licence (which means that there are extra rules that apply to you).

I transferred my licence (in Vic) in the days when you had to take a computer test and I didn't have to do anything extra to transfer the motorcycle licence. I presume this is the same even though you don't have to take the computer test any more.

A
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:08 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

As others have said, each state has their own system and in some states you can get a straight swap without a test. Here in Brisbane you have 3 months to take the multiple choice test.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but if you don't take the test and you have an accident, then you will not be insured. After 3 months, if you do not hold an Aussie licence, your insurance becomes null and void
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

rangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud of

yes it is three months, if you have been driving for more than a year in the UK
you just pay for the aussie licence otherwise it is a test

it cant be that harder test anyway I have just transfered my class 1 hgv for there HC licence which was 17 questions and you had to get 8 out of 10 and that is is
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

The Hun is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rangersman
yes it is three months, if you have been driving for more than a year in the UK
you just pay for the aussie licence otherwise it is a test

it cant be that harder test anyway I have just transfered my class 1 hgv for there HC licence which was 17 questions and you had to get 8 out of 10 and that is is
What state did you swap class 1 for HC? Moving to qld next week, not sure if I can straight swap my class 1?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.