Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving in Australia

Driving in Australia

Old Feb 19th 2003, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

JTowers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in Australia

We have been told by our agent that when we arrive in Australia we have 3 months 'grace' in which to take our driving tests again. However, my brother-in-law tells me that it is possible to get an international driving license, use it for the year that it is valid and then use the 3 months grace giving a total of 15 months before having to bother with it all. Does anyone know if this is possible/legal? Not that I don't believe him or anything...
Old Feb 19th 2003, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Depends what state you are moving to. If you are moving to New South Wales and you hold a british passport then you just have to take the computerised knowledge test to get your aussie license, you have to do this within the 3 months. It is really easy and all the questions are on the RTA website www.rta.nsw.gov.au they have links to other websites for the other states if you are moving elsewhere. I'm not sure what happens in other states but someone on here might know or you might find the answer on the website.

Mandy
Old Feb 19th 2003, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Sorry I meant if you hold a british driving license not passport!!

Mandy
Old Feb 19th 2003, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving in Australia

Originally posted by JTowers
We have been told by our agent that when we arrive in Australia we have 3 months 'grace' in which to take our driving tests again. However, my brother-in-law tells me that it is possible to get an international driving license, use it for the year that it is valid and then use the 3 months grace giving a total of 15 months before having to bother with it all. Does anyone know if this is possible/legal? Not that I don't believe him or anything...

These threads should help you out with your enquiry:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...threadid=37896

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...threadid=70233

Here are links to the various dept for transport sites:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au
http://www.mainroads.qld.gov.au
http://transport.wa.gov.au
http://transport.sa.gov.au
http://traqnsit.gov.nz
Old Feb 20th 2003, 12:16 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know the rules for temporary residents, I'm sure I read somewhere that you don'y need to get an Oz (QLD) licence to replace UK licence if on temporary visa (mine is 4 years)?
Old Feb 20th 2003, 1:11 am
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point

Jayr,

If you are a temporary resident, you do not have to swap your licence at all. But bear in mind, that if you decide to go for PR, you will need to get an Oz licence within 3 months of validating that PR.

Cheers,
Paul.

Originally posted by jayr
Anyone know the rules for temporary residents, I'm sure I read somewhere that you don'y need to get an Oz (QLD) licence to replace UK licence if on temporary visa (mine is 4 years)?
Old Feb 20th 2003, 1:15 am
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point

JTowers,

I may be wrong, but as far as I am concerned, the International Driving Permit (IDP) is purely for translation purposes of your home country licence. It is not valid unless you have an original licence. I can't see how this would give you an extra year's grace. If you have PR, you have 3 months to take the theory test to get an Oz licence (in VIC & SA anyway, not sure about the other states). Otherwise you take the whole shebang.

Cheers,
Paul.

Originally posted by JTowers
Old Feb 20th 2003, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

Heard of a bloke (a pommie migrant) who has been stopped various times (random breat tests and the like) and never quizzed about why he hasn't got a local state licence.

Heard of a girl from Korea who adopted what she said was Korean practice and turned off her headlights as she pulled up first at some traffic lights (apparently so as not to 'blind' the motorists facing the opposite way) ... hmmmm
Old Feb 20th 2003, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

lucinda75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here in victoria I can drive indefinitely on my temp visa, on my uk licence. My husband has traded his in ( personal choice..you are able to do this) and simply took a computerised knowledge test, and now has a vic roads licence. He uses his all the time as useful ID...as it shows your address and everything. I have to cart my passport around as well!! he has his uk licence too, but is unable to use this to drive on in australia now.
It still looks the same...it must be a computerised invalidation.
Old Feb 20th 2003, 9:53 am
Just Joined

JTowers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pread
JTowers,

I may be wrong, but as far as I am concerned, the International Driving Permit (IDP) is purely for translation purposes of your home country licence. It is not valid unless you have an original licence. I can't see how this would give you an extra year's grace. If you have PR, you have 3 months to take the theory test to get an Oz licence (in VIC & SA anyway, not sure about the other states). Otherwise you take the whole shebang.

Cheers,
Paul.
Thanks Paul

I've managed to ascertain from one of the links posted that we will only have to take the theory test, which is a relief! We will be in Victoria and the website I looked at said we would need to take a 'road law knowledge test (LPT/KT2)'. Do you know whether this can be done on-line and if not where you have to go to take it? - there didn't seem to be any forms to download...

Jesse
Old Feb 20th 2003, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

lucinda75 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/...e.nsf/alldocs/

Basically you can buy a book called "from L's to P's" (their highway code in victoria) from any bookshop here, for about 15 bucks, and the computerised test is just random questions about this. Its easy!! You book a test at a centre near you, they are listed in the book, and the test costs $40. They take your picture and bingo!! you are licenced. You have a choice from a 3 year licence or a 10 year one. I think the cost is $40 and $120 respectively, but its probably gone up.... you can drive without p plates if you have held a full licence abroad for the same time...blah blah...it really isnt a hassle!!

Look out for the hook turns though!! lol