Driving

Old Apr 24th 2006, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

zbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to all
Unhappy Driving

Hi all

Was wondering if anyone is learning to drive in Australia.
Whats it like.Is it easier than UK.
Other half has just failed his test in UK but you have to wait 10 days before you can apply again but we will be Australia by then.Do you need a different licence or can you use your provisional licence over there if you do not hold a full driving licence.
Alot to ask cause i dont want him to give up after trying so hard.

Beth
Old Apr 25th 2006, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving

Originally Posted by zbettyboop
Hi all

Other half has just failed his test in UK but you have to wait 10 days before you can apply again but we will be Australia by then.Do you need a different licence or can you use your provisional licence over there if you do not hold a full driving licence.

Beth
From yesterday's Age

"Monday April 24, 2006

A Croatian postman has finally bought a bicycle as a last resort after crashing 33 cars in 23 years. Franjo Pozgaj, 39, of Pokupska Luka, crashed his first car at the age of 16 and has wrecked at least one a year since, including a brand new Renault, 20 minutes after buying it. He has suffered only bruises in all his misadventures, he says."
Old Apr 25th 2006, 12:04 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Beth
i think it would depened on wich state you go to i live in queensland and my provisional just saved me from having to wait 6 months to take the practical test wich is a 1/2hr test here so i presume its easier not done it yet tho but i have heard if you go to nsw they give you a provisional licence wich means you can drive straight away without the need for test for 12months
Old Apr 25th 2006, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Beth
My OH says they give licenses put here in the cereal boxes

Serioulsy - my son started lessons in the UK - had about 12 and then came out here. My OH and I began taking him out driving - you don't need any insurance for this - just L plates - and then we paid for 10 lessons straight off with an instructor. You can do it by a test - similar to UK or you can do it via a log book. This works where the instructor taking you out on your lessons has to see you fulfil each criteria on 3 occasions. It is easier for nervous people then to pass.

But I would agree with my OH - drivers here are not as good as drivers in the UK. I tell my son when he goes out in his car - imagine that ALL drivers are out to KILL you - think for them and yourself!

They are quite scary here.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

zbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ialibu
From yesterday's Age

"Monday April 24, 2006

A Croatian postman has finally bought a bicycle as a last resort after crashing 33 cars in 23 years. Franjo Pozgaj, 39, of Pokupska Luka, crashed his first car at the age of 16 and has wrecked at least one a year since, including a brand new Renault, 20 minutes after buying it. He has suffered only bruises in all his misadventures, he says."

Maybe i will buy John a bike
It would be cheaper.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Beth

Hi Beth

There was an in depth thread abt this only a few weeks ago - just put in 'driving in australia' and you should have all the info you need!

But, we live in Queensland...

I came over with a UK PROVISIONAL driving licence, had to take the 'written test' before I cld have lessons (as did my son), which gave me an Australian learners licence. Have to use 'L' plates when going out with hubby as its law now. Because of my age, I cld take test anytime, but chose to have a 'refresher' course to enable me to get used to driving on the roads that are so different to where we lived in the UK!!!

I was told - your UK Prov. licence is not valid to go out with an instructor, I had to take the QLD written test first. It varies from state to state.

As for 'is it easier driving in Australia' - well, like I said above, that depends on where you come from in the UK! We had never driven on a Mortorway or 3/4 lane traffic so it was 'interesting' for us lol!! I think one of the things to get used to here is what 'lane' you need to be in to get off on the right exit - that can be fun when you first arrive and dont know the area very well.

Be a safe driver wherever you are

Take care
Gill