Reload this Page >

Down Under Tradies - Licence Training

Down Under Tradies - Licence Training

Old Apr 10th 2013, 4:37 pm
The Plumbers Wife

Lisa-93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Down Under Tradies - Licence Training

Hi,

My partner Joseph is a Plumber and has been advised by a member of Down Under Tradies that he would need to complete a licencing course in order to work in the plumbing trade in Australia, which is fair enough. He said that the course is available in the UK and can be completed before migrating, which sounds fantastic. However, as always there's a downfall - it costs £3000 and only takes place in London (we live in Liverpool.) It takes place from Thursday-Sunday over two weeks and at the end of the course you are granted a provisional licence which will entitle you to work in the trade over in Australia. The man also claimed that depending on your experience and qualifications, you could even be granted a full licence whilst still in the UK. If not, you go to Australia with your provisional licence and work under supervision for 12 months and then you are granted a full licence.

Although the course seems expensive and a lot of messing around, our only other option that I am aware of is to complete the training in Australia with a specific University. From what I have seen so far, it is basically like doing a whole degree in Plumbing (something which my partner already has) and although it is cheaper, you cannot work for an employer until you have completed the course, which is at least 12 months.

Does anyone know about the Down Under Tradies and whether or not we should go ahead and do the training here? We are already persuaded as at least then my partner would be ready for work as soon as we migrate, but I thought it would be best to get some ideas first.

Thanks very much and hope you can help
Old Apr 10th 2013, 6:50 pm
Live to dream

Sashi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Down Under Tradies - Licence Training

Hi Lisa

Hope your well.

Can I be cheeky and ask about the course you found in London, I had no idea that you could do the course in London for Aus. I would like to look into it and see what it entails.

Also, is your OH a Gas Safe qualified here?

I have also heard that you need different qualifiactions depending on where in Aus you go.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 7:03 pm
The Plumbers Wife

Originally Posted by Sashi
Hi Lisa

Hope your well.

Can I be cheeky and ask about the course you found in London, I had no idea that you could do the course in London for Aus. I would like to look into it and see what it entails.

Also, is your OH a Gas Safe qualified here?

I have also heard that you need different qualifiactions depending on where in Aus you go.
Sure go onto http://www.downundertradies.com/ and follow the appropriate links for your situation. The course takes place over 8 days in a University/College in Isleworth, London. Down Under Tradies have basically made an agreement with Swinburne University (the University in Australia where you would otherwise complete the training) to perform the training here in the UK to make people more prepared for work when they arrive in Oz. Apparently they also set you up with employers like interviews and pass your CV on and stuff, so I suppose the money is worth it. You receive a provisional licence at the end then a lot of people get a working holiday visa to do the 12 month supervision part in order to gain a full licence. You can also email someone at [email protected] and they usually reply within a couple of hours. And no my partner is not gas safe.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 7:23 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

correct me if i`m wrong,
but as each state has its own rules, regulations, requirements and examinations for the licensing of trades people,
how can a course done in the uk cover the requirements for each state?

its difficult enough trying to get another states license under mutual agreement policy ( this is when your already licensed say in qld and you want to work in nsw )

i think it would be prudent to contact the licensing authority from which ever state you intend moving to first and see what they require for the licensing of your partners trade,

Last edited by steve`o; Apr 10th 2013 at 7:29 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 7:37 pm
The Plumbers Wife

Originally Posted by steve`o
correct me if i`m wrong,
but as each state has its own rules, regulations, requirements and examinations for the licensing of trades people,
how can a course done in the uk cover the requirements for each state?

its difficult enough trying to get another states license under mutual agreement policy ( this is when your already licensed say in qld and you want to work in nsw )

i think it would be prudent to contact the licensing authority from which ever state you intend moving to first and see what they require for the licensing of your partners trade,
To be honest, since publishing this post I have completed decided against DUT! I am looking at other licensing courses now and have found that you can complete an application in NSW once you have moved. The only downside is that you have to complete a course first so my partner will be out of work for at least 6 months if not more. In more of a pickle now!
Old Apr 10th 2013, 7:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisa-93
To be honest, since publishing this post I have completed decided against DUT! I am looking at other licensing courses now and have found that you can complete an application in NSW once you have moved. The only downside is that you have to complete a course first so my partner will be out of work for at least 6 months if not more. In more of a pickle now!
Better that though than forking out for a course which wouldn't provide the right qualifications when you get here
Old Apr 15th 2013, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

YOFFSBACK is just really niceYOFFSBACK is just really niceYOFFSBACK is just really niceYOFFSBACK is just really niceYOFFSBACK is just really niceYOFFSBACK is just really niceYOFFSBACK is just really niceYOFFSBACK is just really nice

We also met D.U.T at immigration fair and were told the same thing 3k for course plus , other half asked about different state regulations for the guy to state it covers the "BASICS"requirements but OH pushed him on gas regulations (he teaches/assesses himself) and though it was sold as a step up to full licence sooner it considered of very basic content that if you had served an appt here you would have learnt this in first year not worth 3k.....
Old Apr 16th 2013, 9:45 am
The Plumbers Wife

Originally Posted by YOFFSBACK
We also met D.U.T at immigration fair and were told the same thing 3k for course plus , other half asked about different state regulations for the guy to state it covers the "BASICS"requirements but OH pushed him on gas regulations (he teaches/assesses himself) and though it was sold as a step up to full licence sooner it considered of very basic content that if you had served an appt here you would have learnt this in first year not worth 3k.....
I know, its ridiculous. I am so glad I done some extra research because we were literally just going to go ahead with it next year. It's a shame there's companies like that out there, at the end of the day you are planning your entire future and moving half way across the world... they just take advantage of that!!
Old Apr 16th 2013, 3:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I know, its ridiculous. I am so glad I done some extra research because we were literally just going to go ahead with it next year. It's a shame there's companies like that out there, at the end of the day you are planning your entire future and moving half way across the world... they just take advantage of that!!
Hi Scouse-girl

Have a nose around the Plumbers section of working abroad, there's lots of info on licencing requirements for UK plumbers moving to Oz. This one may be of particular interest, http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=744925 - but I'd follow the advice you've already been given and check out any info here with the relevent licencing authority in NSW.
Cheers!
Beth
Old Apr 17th 2013, 2:25 am
Just Joined

sdel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My partner Joseph is a Plumber and has been advised by a member of Down Under Tradies that he would need to complete a licencing course in order to work in the plumbing trade in Australia, which is fair enough. He said that the course is available in the UK and can be completed before migrating, which sounds fantastic. However, as always there's a downfall - it costs £3000 and only takes place in London (we live in Liverpool.) It takes place from Thursday-Sunday over two weeks and at the end of the course you are granted a provisional licence which will entitle you to work in the trade over in Australia. The man also claimed that depending on your experience and qualifications, you could even be granted a full licence whilst still in the UK. If not, you go to Australia with your provisional licence and work under supervision for 12 months and then you are granted a full licence.

Although the course seems expensive and a lot of messing around, our only other option that I am aware of is to complete the training in Australia with a specific University. From what I have seen so far, it is basically like doing a whole degree in Plumbing (something which my partner already has) and although it is cheaper, you cannot work for an employer until you have completed the course, which is at least 12 months.

Does anyone know about the Down Under Tradies and whether or not we should go ahead and do the training here? We are already persuaded as at least then my partner would be ready for work as soon as we migrate, but I thought it would be best to get some ideas first.

Thanks very much and hope you can help
Hi there, I've had my own Plumbing & Gas business here in Brisbane now for over 3 years. I emigrated in 2006 and worked for 2 plumbing companies first. The DUT sounds like a total con to me. You can work over here virtually straight away if you have a full plumber's and an up to date gas license. You have to initially sit an interview with the Plumbing industry council who will then issue you a provisional Plumber's license, once they have seen your uk qualifications. To get the full license you will have to attend TAFE which cost about $3000. I know guys who have done the full course in 6 months but to do one or two courses at a time it usually takes a year (these are evening classes). For the Gas license again you will have an interview with the Gas inspectorate who will then (depending on your experience and licence qualifications issue a gas licence straight away - its a good idea to have all your gas qualifications up to date in the uk before you come, otherwise you will need to do TAFE for the gas licence too.
hope this helps.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:43 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

If you do a search on here you will see that they are not recommended.
Personally, I would avoid.

Last edited by Kapri; Apr 18th 2013 at 3:44 pm. Reason: Typo