Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Doubts And 2nd Thoughts Anyone?????

Wikiposts

Doubts And 2nd Thoughts Anyone?????

Old Aug 12th 2006, 7:52 pm
DAMN.........I'M GOOD

BRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doubts And 2nd Thoughts Anyone?????

I'd be really afraid if we where just going to land somewhere that we'd never been and didn't know anyone :scared:[/QUOTE]

yep...thats us !!! so it is normal then, for me to be shiteing meself ???
Old Aug 12th 2006, 9:59 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Expect a lot.....lose a lot.

Expect little..... stand to gain a lot.

Pleasant surprises are better than dissappointments.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 5:54 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davelynd7
After 2yrs of waiting with visa, and 1yr with house on market & only 5 viewers... we've just changed agent (again!! .... and 2days later a full offer smacked us in the face.....and they can move in 6wks...aaaghhhhhhh!!!

so after being frustrated and 'in limbo' for so long, its now suddenly like we have to go to 5th gear, and Hubby's suddenly getting cold feet -
He's wondering why he wasnt dancing around when he took the agent's call with the offer... said he felt like 'oh, is that it'...?.. and now he's having doubts/2nd thoughts if its right thing to do.... doesnt know if hes doing the right thing (Im ok, went thro that phase months ago!!! and I DO feel more postiive (but would be lying if said was 100 percent sure...)

can you guys advise please - is this a natural 'reaction' @ this stage in the game, that everyone experiences???.... or are we having a reality check, etc.... or what is it...!!! We're so confused...?????!! He-llp please.

PS we're going to the Sunshine Coast (if we stop wobbling)!! Cheers!
Absolutely natural to be feeling what you're feeling. Probably the biggest decision of your lives moving to the other side of the world - so really it's unsurprising to have doubts. I'd be more worried if you didn't have any!

Like you, I've been there too - even to the point where I decided I didn't want to emigrate and the whole thing was off, but that passed and I've now come full circle. We had planned to leave end Nov but we've got full asking price on our house from a cash buyer who wants to move asap so we're in the same situation as you - everything happening very quickly and all becoming very real!

I can only offer the same advice to you that I'm trying to follow myself, and that's to take it a step at a time and not to feel overwhelmed by the situation. I try not to dwell on the things I'm leaving behind so I rather focus on what I believe we will gain by moving to Oz. Like you, this is something that we have waited a long time for - and we are so lucky. It's an opportunity that many, many people will never have. After all, it doesn't have to be forever so we're going to go and give it our best shot!

Keep positive and best of luck with the move,

Nicky
Old Aug 13th 2006, 6:35 am
We're here in Brissie

Fionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really nice

I'm having the wobbles too. Thoufh I definately want to go I'm starting to panic. It has eased a bit now the house is on the market and the shippers are giving us quotes and I'm feeling a bit more organised but at the same time I feel I am on a Kamikazi water slide where I have to take the plunge and face my fears so that I can experienc ethe wonderful feeling at the end of the ride.

It's a mixture of fear of the unknown, nerves, excitement, anticipation and knowing that there are so many people to say goodbye to. Some days I'm quite calm and it doesn't seem like a huge deal while others like today I'm in a complete jumble of feelings.

I think this has been highlighted by 2 recent deaths in our family 1 of which was my uncle in canada. My mum was getting pressure put on her in the weeks before to go over. I was telling her it that it was my Aunts decision to emmigrate and also my grans to emmigrate out to her and that they can't expect her to drop everything to go over and help out. There decision their consequences. The same as it's my decision to go to Oz and i can;t expect people to come running to me.

I hadn't realy thought of it before and it's been praying on my mind. At the end of the day though I am going because I want to because it's the right thing for both of us and any kids we may have, I'm just a bit more prepared for dealing with things on our own.

Fiona
Old Aug 13th 2006, 6:49 am
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hi we are flying out on the 6th of September and I have to say our emotions are up and down the closer to the date we get. This place seems better in the sun but the winter will soon be upon us and we will be glad to have excaped it, we also believe OZ is going to be a great place to raise a family and we are looking forward to more outdoors lifestyle. This forum has also helped as hearing so many success stories reminds us why it is worth all the hard work and scary moments. It is a massive move and we can understand your fears as we have gone through them and questioned whether or not it is worth it, especially as family are not supportive, but no regrets is better than wondering what if. Good luck with whatever you decide, we are heading to the Sunshine coast too and are really hoping that we can get a job there as it is our dream location.
Good luck
just read your comments, which started me thinking about how we will feel if granted a visa. where abouts on the sunshine coast are you heading. I pretty much agree that this is a great area to live and raise a family. what jobs are you going to be looking for? I hope everything works out for you, best of luck
bec+egg
Old Aug 13th 2006, 8:10 am
Not the sharpest tool

Dimwit has a brilliant futureDimwit has a brilliant futureDimwit has a brilliant futureDimwit has a brilliant futureDimwit has a brilliant futureDimwit has a brilliant futureDimwit has a brilliant futureDimwit has a brilliant future

Completely understand what you are going through. We got our visa granted last Thursday and now it is very real not just a case of keep talking about the possibility of living on other side of world. So much to sort out but I keep telling myself that it is the start of a new chapter in our lives and one big adventure. When we started this whole process about 18 months ago I held onto an image of celebrating Christmas day on the beach instead of in freezing London and now we are going to be there this Christmas...

So many people never get this opportunity so we must make the most of it after all whats the worst that can happen? It doesn't work out so you come back to UK.

Stay strong and focus on what you stand to gain from the move and what sort of life you want to have this time next year.

Best of luck

Sam
Old Aug 15th 2006, 6:05 am
Poms in Limbo

Davelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: Doubts And 2nd Thoughts Anyone?????

Hi again everyone!!

We both just wanted to say BLESS YOU ALL - we were overwhelmed by the many 'support' messages and 'wise words' from you all.

...Sat here reading them (both blubbering.... what wusses eh?!!) and we just feel it's restored our faith that there ARE plenty of nice people out there......!!

Hubby is now back on track - (busy doing his cost of living budget, and watching the hifx rates...! Im writing page 43 of our 'to do list'...!!!!! ha ha
so far more positive now.

As they say - every day's a lesson, so lets enjoy the ride, eh?

Good luck to you all in whatever your current situations are ("here or there")

Cheers! Lynda & Dave
Old Aug 15th 2006, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

bleugh is on a distinguished road

i'm flying out at the end of October, start work 2nd week of November........2.5 months left, i still havent put the house on the market, i'm leaving an okish job and an ok lifestyle to jump into the unknown

the way I see it, i'm lucky to have made a little money on the house, i'm fundementally not happy here in the UK, i'm itching to at least try something different......so, why not! at the end of the day, it's only money........worst case, i've had a long (expensive) holiday the other side of the planet :-). if it all goes wrong, big deal, I can come back and start again.................I'm finding it hard to let go though
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice
Talking Re: Doubts And 2nd Thoughts Anyone?????

Hey Im sure lots of us our in the same boat....many worries of starting everything new....giving up a perfectly good job and making ourselves jobless ...if you are having doubts grab a Wiggles CD and "wiggle those wobbles away!" Look to the future not what you are going from?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I'm sure what you are feeling is completely normal. I've seen lots of similar posts to yours and I'm sure that we all go through this at some point.

We are only just starting out with it all and we constantly wonder if we are doing the right thing.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice

Originally Posted by TeresaG
I'm sure what you are feeling is completely normal. I've seen lots of similar posts to yours and I'm sure that we all go through this at some point.

We are only just starting out with it all and we constantly wonder if we are doing the right thing.
Hey I must say and for what its worth - IM CONVINCED you are doing the right thing! Unfortunately this country is "going to the dogs" as one of my vendors put it - personally in the not to distant future I think Australia will be even stricter and let much fewer people in. Australia isnt without its problems but they pale in comparison with ours. Its refreshing to see that even the little things like the place is clean (Generalisation granted) but people are proud of their country and want it to stay that way.

Hopefully when (Eventually!) I do get a visa!, and I live in their Country Ill abide by Australias laws and beliefs and feel very privilaged to live there- something else that seems to be wrong with some of the immigrants to the UK!

Itll be worth it!
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:35 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

wobbles ? WOBBLES ?? I have the bleedin' wobbles every day.Some days are better than others,Some days i want to leave NOW ,other times i think i must be completely nuts :scared:
My missus doesnt seem to show any emotion either way She just wants 'out of here'.Her stock reply is that she'll worry about it when the visa comes thru'.Well i'm not like that cos i'm panicing now and i ain't even passed the TRA stage yet !!
At the moment i see it as a challenge to get my hands on an aussie visa..the move is a million miles away but i know if it does all come good i'll be absolutely bricking it
Anyway.... heres to everyones big move

Lee
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

elizabeth charnock is an unknown quantity at this point

[Congratulations guys! The worst part is definately over!
I can certainly empathise with your husband as it is very difficult being in limbo for two whole years, the uncertainty must have been unbearable at times!
If it is any consollation, this is a pretty common experience and many migrants (myself included) have gone through this process, that doesn't make it any easier I know, but what I mean to say is you are not alone (though I'm sure at times it will have felt that way)

Try not to get despondent, it is finally happening for you, this is what the past two years have all been about isn't it?

You won't be dissapointed, the Sunshine Coast is beautiful!
When you arrive why not get in touch with us at www.bulmss.org.au we may be able to help you with the ressetlement process.
Good luck and Bon Voyage!

Beth
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

elizabeth charnock is an unknown quantity at this point

Here, Here!

Australia isn't the land of milk and honey it once was, unfortunately and it isn't without its problems let me tell you! One only has to visit any public toilet to be greeted by the needle disposal bins to be reminded that heroin addiction and poverty amongst the lower social classes is rife!
However having said that Australia rewards hard work and for those of you who are prepared to embrace it as your homeland I promise you you will be rewarded.
When you live in a country as beautiful as Australia , you can forgive it its flaws!
Take Care
Beth (www.bulmss.org.au)
Old Aug 19th 2006, 2:41 am
Poms in Limbo

Davelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy Re: Doubts And 2nd Thoughts Anyone?????

Just become even more despondent - our buyers have pulled out,
So never mind 'wobbles' now were just back to square 1 again.... Hopeless!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.