Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dont worry about the negative stuff on here

Dont worry about the negative stuff on here

Old Sep 11th 2005, 10:10 am
Banned

2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future
Default Dont worry about the negative stuff on here

Hey, seems alot of oz picking on here at the mo!

When we lived in Australia we loved it - brilliant weather was far to good to sit at a computer!

So those who start threads - that live in australia - and feel the need to go on a forum about Britain and British maybe, in all honesty, a little homesick.

I know that sometimes when I had a bottle of wine and there is a snake in my house, I felt like I`d live in a nice thatched cottage in Devon.

Until I hit a frosty heathrow airport and had to sit of fag burned seats and pay £8.00 to park the car for 13 minutes!!! :scared:

Anyway - go and have a go, keep you uk passport and see. But if its not for you - please only "warn others" with constructive facts rather that personal winging

2foot
Old Sep 11th 2005, 10:15 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dont worry about the negative stuff on here

Originally Posted by 2foot

When we lived in Australia we loved it - brilliant weather was far to good to sit at a computer!

So those who start threads - that live in australia - and feel the need to go on a forum about Britain and British maybe, in all honesty, a little homesick.

I know that sometimes when I had a bottle of wine and there is a snake in my house, I felt like I`d live in a nice thatched cottage in Devon.

Until I hit a frosty heathrow airport and had to sit of fag burned seats and pay £8.00 to park the car for 13 minutes!!! :scared:

Anyway - go and have a go, keep you uk passport and see. But if its not for you - please only "warn others" with constructive facts rather that personal winging

2foot

Nicely put!!

Kris x
Old Sep 11th 2005, 10:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

However, if none of us in Aus were posting on a British forum, then those of you back home wouldn't be getting ANY views - positive, negative, or realistic!

Tonights combination of facts - lovely big storm brewing (positive), it'll probably knacker the electrics in the house (realistic) and my pc may not recover this time (negative)
and
there is a hoon screeching his tyres up and down the road outside, the phone bill came this week, and its nearly Monday morning....just like Brighton, wonder why I left

By the way, yes I'm homesick, but that doesn't mean I don't like it here
Old Sep 11th 2005, 10:32 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

2foot
Negative and positive both have a place on here.

Hopefully we learn from other peoples experiences.

However it's all in the delivery of the message.........and on that score you fail too.
Old Sep 11th 2005, 10:34 am
Banned

2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future2foot has a brilliant future

How many times have you come home? and how long did the longing for a "summers evening in a country park" wear off?

It seem the best way to not get slagged at all here is to leave!

goodbye
Old Sep 11th 2005, 10:56 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

How many times have you come home? and how long did the longing for a "summers evening in a country park" wear off?

It seem the best way to not get slagged at all here is to leave!

goodbye
I am home in Aus.....have not suffered from any homesickness. Yes I'm probably lucky. Have not returned to UK yet but no doubt will visit one day.

I have no "longing"......it's different here and I accept that.

You complained about others slagging and then put up a vitriolic post yourself. What sort of response did you expect ?

The forum is made by it's posters. Stay and make it something good mate.
Old Sep 11th 2005, 10:59 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

I mainly agree with the original poster, but I also appreciate the balanced views of posters already in Oz. However once I'm in Oz I don't reckon I will be on here as much as I mainly use this forum to plan my move these days/ do research, and help others with their visa application forms on the nursing forum.

I'm not moving to Oz to talk to other 'Brit's' on the net all night but to experience a different way of life (hopefully will have my evenings occupied with sports/ swimming/ reading) - I hope I'm far too busy to sit on BE all night. Homesickness is a terrible thing and I sympathise with anyone that is struggling with that - Oz isn't for everyone I guess. It would be my worst nightmare if all I did was make contact with the friends/ family I left in UK - sure I'll keep in touch but I'm not going to spend every waking minute communicating/ pining to people in the UK.

NOT referring to anyone that has posted here by the way but I get the impression that many of the Brits stick together - I hope to make as many aussie friends as I do British. Frequently on holiday to Spain/ Mallorca etc. I witness Brits who can't seem to spend any time to themselves - they all club together for most of the holiday.

Hope I haven't offended anyone - this is just how I see things on here - and everyone that knows me on here knows I don't enter into slanging matches that are occurring so frequently recently.

Lynn x
Old Sep 11th 2005, 11:07 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry to butt in, but i cant help myself.

Can anyone tell me why it is that positve posts are somehow not considered realistic? I read a lot of posts on here and all the time you read references to "positve" "negative" and "realisitc" posts.
If someone is posting positive it IS real to them! I get irritated that only negative or unhappy postings are considered as valid by some.
Old Sep 11th 2005, 11:08 am
Banned

After my 5 minutes leave!

I have no intention of offending the likes of bix - i see that you are certainly not a winger!

but there are a few!

I do remember being a little homesick myself once (before the likes of forums) so I just got on with it in my own little world.

I could reel of 10 things I didn`t like about oz - and 10 things I like about the UK - but I still want to go back to oz because it just suits me!
Old Sep 11th 2005, 11:14 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Lynn,

I don't agree with everything you say but that's okay.

I didn't move to Aus to talk with Brits on the net all night either. That just happened. Lot's of people watch TV, go down the pub or read a book for escapism and entertainment. I don't do those things but this is my "TV" if you like.

The OP was correct in the main about dark evenings so that will limit sports and swimming more than perhaps you currently realise.

I agree with your other main point about living in each others pockets though. There is a street in Cairns that is resident to many Brits, some of which I work with. We purposely settled on the other side of the city as we don't want to create "little Britain". We want to integrate with the locals and so far that is going okay. Yes, we do still meet Brits but not only Brits.
Old Sep 11th 2005, 11:17 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
Sorry to butt in, but i cant help myself.

Can anyone tell me why it is that positve posts are somehow not considered realistic? I read a lot of posts on here and all the time you read references to "positve" "negative" and "realisitc" posts.
If someone is posting positive it IS real to them! I get irritated that only negative or unhappy postings are considered as valid by some.
Linda,

Here bloody here.

As you say, they are all very real to the recipients.
Old Sep 11th 2005, 11:19 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

I have no intention of offending the likes of bix - i see that you are certainly not a winger!

but there are a few!
So what if people whinge? Its a public forum used by all sorts of people at ALL stages of the process. Some desperate to come some desperate to go. If you don't like it so what? Read something else. If someone is genuinely having a hard time who r u to say that they are not allowed to voice how they feel. In fact your whinging about people whinging... go figure hey
Old Sep 11th 2005, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

I like reading both positive and negative posts on here... it's interesting reading, but I tell you what, if I read something negative it will not stop me from going and finding out for myself. It's all a matter of taste, some people will settle, some will return. And as for getting shot down for writing what you think on here, I don't give a monkeys, it's only a forum..who cares..
Old Sep 11th 2005, 11:26 am
Bix
da Bonehead

but there are a few!

I do remember being a little homesick myself once (before the likes of forums) so I just got on with it in my own little world.

I could reel of 10 things I didn`t like about oz - and 10 things I like about the UK - but I still want to go back to oz because it just suits me!
Glad you are still with us mate.

We are actually singing from the same hymn sheet.

I think we gotta try to put ourselves in the shoes of other people. If they have had a real bad experience of Aus I guess it's natural for them to "winge" and very difficult for them to express a balanced view. I mean in their eyes it has been shite so how can they say otherwise ? Now, if you have had that sort of experience after all the hassle of getting here in the first place I guess it's natural to feel bitter. So difficult as it is maybe we should cut them some slack.

Everyone it doesn't work out for are not like that though.

Hey, and remind me of what I just said if you see me giving anybody grief about it.
Old Sep 11th 2005, 11:26 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
it's all in the delivery of the message
I've actually just said that in another thread.

Positive, negative, whatever. It's all valid and meaningful to someone but sometimes posters here just don't (or perhaps can't) express themselves in a way so that others can take it in the spirit which it was meant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.