Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

dont want to visit the rellies..

dont want to visit the rellies..

Old Aug 24th 2011, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: dont want to visit the rellies..

I think it's quite selfish. (you did ask) You are part of a family now, but not behaving like it. Do you not get on with his family either or just your own? Would you not like to see them? Would they not like to see you? This is a big moment in life and your husband wants his wife there with him to share that moment. But you can think of better things to spend the money on.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisneyland
Do you not get on with his family either or just your own?
I don't not get on with them, just not met or had any direct contact with most of them. The ones I have met mostly we just visited in a whistle- stop tour before we moved to basically say "hi, we are moving to Australia next week" (was all very last minute as visa only got granted about a fortnight before we were flown over by his company and we didn't know for sure we were going and when until that point). Probably wouldn't even recognise any of them now if they werent pointed out to me.

I haven't really spent more than a couple of hours with his mum or sister in the 6 months or so we were together before we moved away (first to Edinburgh for a year when his company relocated us, then over here).
They never visited us and we only visited them a couple of times even when we were only 2 & 1/2hrs drive away, and now he only exchanges phone calls with them at christmas/birthdays and that's about it really. If they were close and on the phone constantly with each other and acting like they all missed each other maybe I would be more keen to go into debt to visit them.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Yup, not disagreeing with the statement, just asked for him/her to expand further as it's advice rather than a poll I was after.

Need people outside of the situation for objective opinions on this as i think my view is probably skewed because I don't speak to my family so I find it hard to imagine what it is like being close enough to your family to even want to visit.
No issues with his family but only met a few of them and then only once or twice as we only got together shortly before we moved away from them. Haven't raised the issue with him as yet as wanted to know how other people had handled similar situations before i broached the subject...
You're initial question was filled with the word "I" despite the fact there appears to be you, your husband and a baby in the loop.

You are probably a very selfless and giving person, but the initial question does not demonstrate that in the slightest.

On top of that, it's none of my business and you can be selfish if you choose to.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
I don't not get on with them, just not met or had any direct contact with most of them. The ones I have met mostly we just visited in a whistle- stop tour before we moved to basically say "hi, we are moving to Australia next week"........ I haven't really spent more than a couple of hours with his mum or sister in the 6 months or so we were together before we moved away
Well, I think that's all the more reason to make the effort now. But that's just my opinion.