Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't want to get on that plane....

Don't want to get on that plane....

Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

ChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to allChocolateOrange is a name known to all
Default Re: Don't want to get on that plane....

How come?
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateOrange
How come?
Because it's just another first world country.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 10:15 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We came for a better quality of life but we're based in WA and the cost of living means our life is much harder, added to the fact that the education is awful, fresh food is horrible, houses are Very poorly built, night life is non-existent, meals out are a bit of a joke (V expensive for mediocre quality) etc etc.

We have a lot of problems with education, meaning I now have 2 kids who are home-school and both of whom are desperate to go back to the UK.. My husband is exceedingly bored in his job and misses qualified professionals who take pride in the work they do.

I am sure that had we moved to the East coast we would have been in a better place and could have made a better go of things, but this isn't possible.

Are you back here now?
I don't know where in WA you are but I would disagree with most of the things you've said here. Yes, the cost of living is high, but then so are the wages. Both of my children have received a very good education - because we are involved with the school and insist on it. Fresh food is horrible? Sorry, but that's just incorrect. We shop at local markets and produce shops and find a great variety of fresh fruit and vegetables. Yes, the construction of houses is not the best but "very poor"? They're not mud huts or shacks. As for nighlife, I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I've just had a lovely Friday night out with workmates in Northbridge and Saturday night I went to the theatre with girlfriends. Oh, and the night out with workmates was for a fantastic meal. There are loads of great restaurants here.

If your children are unhappy and desperate to go back to UK could it be that they're picking up on your own unhappiness? And I don't know what your husband does but I think it's an insult to say that workers here are unqualified and don't take pride in their work. As a matter of fact, I find most of your post insulting to those of us who are content here in WA.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 3:05 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

We came for a better quality of life but we're based in WA and the cost of living means our life is much harder, added to the fact that the education is awful, fresh food is horrible, houses are Very poorly built, night life is non-existent, meals out are a bit of a joke (V expensive for mediocre quality) etc etc.

We have a lot of problems with education, meaning I now have 2 kids who are home-school and both of whom are desperate to go back to the UK.. My husband is exceedingly bored in his job and misses qualified professionals who take pride in the work they do.

I am sure that had we moved to the East coast we would have been in a better place and could have made a better go of things, but this isn't possible.

Are you back here now?
Either you are allowing your emotions to colour your view of Australia, or you need to move to a new part of Australia because where I live bears no resemblance to what you have described at all!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 3:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Are you back here now?
Anything else? Driving? Expensive groceries? No ASDA? Shite TV?

Enjoy your life back in the Yoo-Kay.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 4:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ChocolateOrange;10212499

[/QUOTE]

Oh I'm sure you'd consider us all as ignorant and unprofessional as you find the folk/schools/etc over there.

Reasons for moving to a 1st world country from another 1st world country should never include 'quality of life/for the children'. They are all the same, there's good and bad everywhere and in the vast majority of cases it's down to mindset which remains the same wherever the body is.

Hope you get back happy and settled into your lives and mark Australia down on the been there done that list.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 4:12 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Oh I'm sure you'd consider us all as ignorant and unprofessional as you find the folk/schools/etc over there.

Reasons for moving to a 1st world country from another 1st world country should never include 'quality of life/for the children'. They are all the same, there's good and bad everywhere and in the vast majority of cases it's down to mindset which remains the same wherever the body is.

Hope you get back happy and settled into your lives and mark Australia down on the been there done that list.
Or... or they succumb to the dreaded pingpongitis, a fate that seems to await all those with very strong feelings about places they live.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:36 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

I moved here for quality of life for me, the fact that the kids got it too was incidental! Prior to coming out I had spent 9 years in a manufacturing company on the industrial estate in Slough, where it seemed the only way to get promotion was if someone died, and living in a terraced house on a new estate outside Reading full of identical houses. Every other job I applied for (and was interviewed for) would have meant living and working in almost identical conditions.

So we came out here and 30 years later I am living in a quiet street in the northern Brisbane suburbs, my job has taken me all over the world, I am recognised nationally in my professional field, and I really enjoy life. If I hadn't made the move I'd be a grumpy, sour old fart instead of a happy one.

Each to their own.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 6:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
I moved here for quality of life for me, the fact that the kids got it too was incidental! Prior to coming out I had spent 9 years in a manufacturing company on the industrial estate in Slough, where it seemed the only way to get promotion was if someone died, and living in a terraced house on a new estate outside Reading full of identical houses. Every other job I applied for (and was interviewed for) would have meant living and working in almost identical conditions.

So we came out here and 30 years later I am living in a quiet street in the northern Brisbane suburbs, my job has taken me all over the world, I am recognised nationally in my professional field, and I really enjoy life. If I hadn't made the move I'd be a grumpy, sour old fart instead of a happy one.

Each to their own.
The whole quality of life thing ended in approximately 2006/7 imo. Before that you were generally quids in in terms of exchange rates, housing prices, jobs and col. Doesn't exist any more.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I don't know where in WA you are but I would disagree with most of the things you've said here. Yes, the cost of living is high, but then so are the wages. Both of my children have received a very good education - because we are involved with the school and insist on it. Fresh food is horrible? Sorry, but that's just incorrect. We shop at local markets and produce shops and find a great variety of fresh fruit and vegetables. Yes, the construction of houses is not the best but "very poor"? They're not mud huts or shacks. As for nighlife, I'm not sure what you're looking for, but I've just had a lovely Friday night out with workmates in Northbridge and Saturday night I went to the theatre with girlfriends. Oh, and the night out with workmates was for a fantastic meal. There are loads of great restaurants here.

If your children are unhappy and desperate to go back to UK could it be that they're picking up on your own unhappiness? And I don't know what your husband does but I think it's an insult to say that workers here are unqualified and don't take pride in their work. As a matter of fact, I find most of your post insulting to those of us who are content here in WA.
Mmmm. This isnt a dig at you or Perth, but i do think that ChocOrange made some valid points. Perth upper end eating is pretty poor. We have now got Nobu and Rockpool but thats about it and both are a bit old hat now. In fact the later wouldnt cut it in a major city such as London, Paris or New York. Nobu is now little better than an expensive chain.

It is a small, more provincial city.

As for quality of produce. It is "ok" Nothing exactly wrong with it. But i would say this, we were down in Margaret River a while ago and went to do a foodie trail. On an evening we mainly had deli snack in the cottage. They were generally fine, with some outstanding ones. It wasnt until the last night we were curious about things and looked at the detail on the packaging. All of the outstanding ones were imported.

As for nightlife it depends on what you are used to. Perth certainly isnt London.

Asfor cost of living V's wages, it depends on what you are earning now against what you were in the UK. I know several people, including some proffessionals in mining who have left WA to go back because they couldnt earn what they did in the UK.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 6:45 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Mmmm. This isnt a dig at you or Perth, but i do think that ChocOrange made some valid points. Perth upper end eating is pretty poor. We have now got Nobu and Rockpool but thats about it and both are a bit old hat now. In fact the later wouldnt cut it in a major city such as London, Paris or New York. Nobu is now little better than an expensive chain.

It is a small, more provincial city.

As for quality of produce. It is "ok" Nothing exactly wrong with it. But i would say this, we were down in Margaret River a while ago and went to do a foodie trail. On an evening we mainly had deli snack in the cottage. They were generally fine, with some outstanding ones. It wasnt until the last night we were curious about things and looked at the detail on the packaging. All of the outstanding ones were imported.

As for nightlife it depends on what you are used to. Perth certainly isnt London.

Asfor cost of living V's wages, it depends on what you are earning now against what you were in the UK. I know several people, including some proffessionals in mining who have left WA to go back because they couldnt earn what they did in the UK.
Where did anyone try to compare Perth with London? Surely the most basic bit of research would have told anyone that Perth is a small city and of course it's not going to have London, Paris or New York type eateries. If you're (general you, not specific you) are looking for London, Paris or New York entertainment and dining then maybe they should look at emigrating to Paris or New York or moving within UK to London.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 6:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Where did anyone try to compare Perth with London? Surely the most basic bit of research would have told anyone that Perth is a small city and of course it's not going to have London, Paris or New York type eateries. If you're (general you, not specific you) are looking for London, Paris or New York entertainment and dining then maybe they should look at emigrating to Paris or New York or moving within UK to London.
In fairness, I'm sure there are people out there who don't do their research (not a dig at anyone on here at all) and who see that Perth is the state capital of a massive state and assume the capital will be as big and bustling as London, the capital city of a very small country. It's probably quite a disappointing place for them.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

OI.... food......

If you cook from scratch, eat seasonal and local the quality is fantastic....

But then I appear to be in the minority when it comes to doing that.... And I dont eat cheese.

(i am what is known as a vocal minority)
Old Aug 7th 2012, 9:13 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

What, no cheese - not even Wensleydale?

(with apologies to Wallace)
Old Aug 7th 2012, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
OI.... food......

If you cook from scratch, eat seasonal and local the quality is fantastic....

But then I appear to be in the minority when it comes to doing that.... And I dont eat cheese.

(i am what is known as a vocal minority)
I would dispute that. There some excellent produce but far more than its fair share of dross. And yes we cook everything from scratch with local seasonal produce.

As for my comment above, of course everybody realises Perth is not London. But if you are used to London then no matter how hard you research, Perth can be a shock in some ways.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.