Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Don't be ripped off by directory enquiries

Don't be ripped off by directory enquiries

Old Sep 3rd 2004, 11:46 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Don't be ripped off by directory enquiries

I just got this from a friend in W/A. Hopefully its country wide.

Did you know that there is a number for directory assistance that is FREE. It is 1223 (as opposed to 12 455 where this is charged at 25 cents) and is exactly the same service. Apparently Telstra under Government law is supposed to provide a free operator service hence the number 1223. They are trying to make as much money as possible with the number 12455.

From your mobile the number for call connect is 103, its the same deal under legislation they have to provide the free service; they just don't have to advertise it

Anyone tried it????
Old Sep 4th 2004, 12:18 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Don't be ripped off by directory enquiries

Originally Posted by hevs
I just got this from a friend in W/A. Hopefully its country wide.

Did you know that there is a number for directory assistance that is FREE. It is 1223 (as opposed to 12 455 where this is charged at 25 cents) and is exactly the same service. Apparently Telstra under Government law is supposed to provide a free operator service hence the number 1223. They are trying to make as much money as possible with the number 12455.

From your mobile the number for call connect is 103, its the same deal under legislation they have to provide the free service; they just don't have to advertise it

Anyone tried it????
White Pages

Yellow Pages
Old Sep 4th 2004, 2:07 am
ABCDiamond

1223 It is country wide

Sydney Morning Herald Report

Australian Consumers' Association policy officer Charles Britton said it would be more useful to consumers if Telstra promoted the free directory assistance numbers 12455 and 1223 instead.

Telstra is compelled to provide a free directory service to residential phone users, but Mr Britton said most people were unlikely to be able to recall the number off the top of their head. "Telstra can be forced to provide it, but it is harder to get them to promote it," he said.

Use of the free directory service numbers "are in decline", averaging 150 million calls a year, according to Sensis, Telstra's directories unit.

Old Sep 4th 2004, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

i have always used 1223...i wasnt aware there was any other number!!.. it was telstra who told me it too.
Old Sep 4th 2004, 2:29 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by podgypossum
i have always used 1223...i wasnt aware there was any other number!!.. it was telstra who told me it too.
It looks like Telstra are heavilly promoting another number, with charge attached, in the hope people will forget the old number.
My white pages does show the 1223 number on the front pages though.

Old Sep 4th 2004, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It looks like Telstra are heavilly promoting another number, with charge attached, in the hope people will forget the old number.
My white pages does show the 1223 number on the front pages though.

Thanks Hevs I did not have a clue what Directory Enquires number was.

Also does anyone know if they have a number here like the Uk one where you can ring and find out who called you last?
Old Sep 4th 2004, 10:13 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by tinaj
Thanks Hevs I did not have a clue what Directory Enquires number was.

Also does anyone know if they have a number here like the Uk one where you can ring and find out who called you last?
*10# But Telstra charge you 30c (I think) for each use of it !! But many numbers are silent numbers and they don't register.