Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dongle for Lap Top

Dongle for Lap Top

Old Oct 29th 2010, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice
Default Dongle for Lap Top

I'm still comfused about the dongle thingy!

I arrive in Sydney with my lap top and spend the 1st month in company provided temporary apartment. Then I move into permanent accommodation in Sydney.

What is my best option for Broadband on my lap top?

Or get Broadband/land line/TV package when we move into the permanent accommodation?

Discuss............assume that virtually all our internet access will be in Sydney.

A and M
Old Oct 30th 2010, 12:32 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dongle for Lap Top

Originally Posted by AndrewMarilyn
I'm still comfused about the dongle thingy!

I arrive in Sydney with my lap top and spend the 1st month in company provided temporary apartment. Then I move into permanent accommodation in Sydney.

What is my best option for Broadband on my lap top?

Or get Broadband/land line/TV package when we move into the permanent accommodation?

Discuss............assume that virtually all our internet access will be in Sydney.

A and M
if you really need internet in the first month get a pay as you go dongle - they're about 99$ plus about 50$ for a few gig of pre-paid bandwidth

if you have multiple devices laptop, ipod, etc you can get a myfi dongle - I have the virgin one cost about 129$ and you can connect multiple devices via wifi to this little dongle and it connects to the internet for you just like havinga mobile wifi router

when you chose your rental property - check it has broadband adsl2+ access or whatever you want - dont assume that all houses have adsl2+ - they dont...
Old Oct 30th 2010, 4:37 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree. Pre-paid mobile broadband.

I would opt for Telstra though. It's not the cheapest, in fact its the most expensive to recharge for the amount of data you will use. However, the network means that you will have a lot better coverage than any of the other providers which is important if you don't know where you are ending up. Telstra have the best network, they know it and charge for it but have got a lot better recently.

Any Telstra shop sells them along with most electronics shops like Dick Smith which means you can pick up one straight away.

$149 for 5 gig of data and a wifi thing to connect upto 5 of your devices wirelessly with 90 days to use the allowance is pretty good really. Vodafone will give you 3 gig but its for 30 days and really if your only surfing, checking mails and facebook blah blah, your not going to use a lot at all and the 90 days is probably worth it.

I have one just for when I go away and can use it in the car, hotel and airports etc quite happily.

http://www.telstra.com.au/bigpond-in...d/get-started/

Last edited by Centurion; Oct 30th 2010 at 4:40 am.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice

Many thanks guys, very useful and just what we were after!
Old Oct 30th 2010, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Stay clear of virgin I say. I ordered one, waited 3 weeks and it still hadnt arrived. I called them up to be told its on indefinete back order, they couldnt say when it would be sent.

So I asked them to cancel it; sure no problem they said; dont worry you wont be charged they said. Suprise, suprise I notice a few weeks later they have charged me for it.

I ask for a refund as I have been charged for something that never arrived, they say sure we can investigate giving you a refund. This all happened a couple of months ago, I have called them and am still waiting for my refund
Old Oct 30th 2010, 8:00 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
Stay clear of virgin I say. I ordered one, waited 3 weeks and it still hadnt arrived. I called them up to be told its on indefinete back order, they couldnt say when it would be sent.

So I asked them to cancel it; sure no problem they said; dont worry you wont be charged they said. Suprise, suprise I notice a few weeks later they have charged me for it.

I ask for a refund as I have been charged for something that never arrived, they say sure we can investigate giving you a refund. This all happened a couple of months ago, I have called them and am still waiting for my refund
bummer - but you can buy them in Dick Smith and other places over the counter
Old Oct 30th 2010, 8:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I'd agree. Pre-paid mobile broadband.

I would opt for Telstra though. It's not the cheapest, in fact its the most expensive to recharge for the amount of data you will use. However, the network means that you will have a lot better coverage than any of the other providers which is important if you don't know where you are ending up. Telstra have the best network, they know it and charge for it but have got a lot better recently.

Any Telstra shop sells them along with most electronics shops like Dick Smith which means you can pick up one straight away.

$149 for 5 gig of data and a wifi thing to connect upto 5 of your devices wirelessly with 90 days to use the allowance is pretty good really. Vodafone will give you 3 gig but its for 30 days and really if your only surfing, checking mails and facebook blah blah, your not going to use a lot at all and the 90 days is probably worth it.

I have one just for when I go away and can use it in the car, hotel and airports etc quite happily.

http://www.telstra.com.au/bigpond-in...d/get-started/
I have to say its one thing I do rate telstra for. Its pricey to top up for the amount used, but I also have a Telstra PAYG mobile and can transfer credit to that so it doesn't get wasted. Their coverage is by far the best, very rarely lets me down, even in emergencies when I've used to it in Singapore and the UK.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I bought an optus dongle when I first arrived, rather than spend $25 a day on internet access in the serviced apartments. I am still using said dongle as hubby not got round to organising an alternative yet (this is his area).
Old Oct 30th 2010, 11:06 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by spalen
if you really need internet in the first month get a pay as you go dongle - they're about 99$ plus about 50$ for a few gig of pre-paid bandwidth
$49 for the dongle with 5 Gb for 1 month is the best I found. I'll tell you in 4 weeks time how good it was...

Old Oct 30th 2010, 12:44 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99

If they keep screwing you around, I suggest you contact the telecommunications ombudsman. We had to recently with regards to vodafone and a mobile contract and vodafone bent over backwards to sort things out within days.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Can you get a contract without a credit rating? I just cancelled my month to month contract with Three as I'm not travelling as much anymore. It may work out cheaper than prepaid if you can get it without a credit rating.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

LisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to all

I'm with vodafone mobile broadband on the $39 a month for 8gb, it's month to month so no contract - the deal initially was on offer until the end of Sept' but I think it's been extended.

I've also just bought the pocket wifi for $99 (comes with 3gb) which allows you to connect up to 5 devices, had it for a couple days using 2 devices and it seems to be pretty good.

As others have said, the first thing to do is check the providers coverage on their website for your temp address. We were originally with 3 but moved to one of their no coverage zones, hence moving to vodafone.