Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's your experience with Telstra been like?

What's your experience with Telstra been like?

Old Oct 15th 2010, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's your experience with Telstra been like?

We got Foxtel a few weeks ago and discovered that Telstra pretty much own Foxtel and can provide cable broadband over the same cable. So we cancelled the lame ADSL2+ (Optus) which only gave 2MB and ordered Telstra.

The modem arrived today. I plugged it in with the splitter provided and we are now up and running.
Download speed tests show 26.5MB+ and upload > 1MB.

We also also ordered two HTC Desire mobiles on contract in the bundle plus an extra Foxtel multiroom box, all for little over $200 per month and the phones are $40 pm each with their own loads of 'free' minutes and data etc...

I know as a national carrier there are loads of stories of woe, but to be honest I can't complain at the moment.

My experience has been excellent so far!

Last edited by Alfresco; Oct 15th 2010 at 6:43 am.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 6:46 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your experience with Telstra been like?

HELSTRA!!!!! :curse:

Hate them with a passion! They couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 6:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
We got Foxtel a few weeks ago and discovered that Telstra pretty much own Foxtel and can provide cable broadband over the same cable. So we cancelled the lame ADSL2+ (Optus) which only gave 2MB and ordered Telstra.

The modem arrived today. I plugged it in with the splitter provided and we are now up and running.

We also also ordered two HTC Desire mobiles on contract in the bundle plus an extra Foxtel multiroom box, all for little over $200 per month and the phones are $40 pm each with their own loads of 'free' minutes and data etc...

I know as a national carrier there are loads of stories of woe, but to be honest I can't complain at the moment.

They've been fine for me - while everything is going well.
But as soon as there's a problem, getting things sorted isn't quite so easy. Numerous calls to get my phone line sorted - wrong info, wrong quotes, people turning up at the wrong time, on the wrong day, for the wrong job - claiming to be here to fix my broadband (which I don't have!!).
Mobile wireless is fine while its working but if you need them to sort a problem, its easier to buy a new dongle than hold a conversation with a non-English speaker.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelli28
HELSTRA!!!!! :curse:

Hate them with a passion! They couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.
Sorry to hear that.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They've been fine for me - while everything is going well.
But as soon as there's a problem, getting things sorted isn't quite so easy. Numerous calls to get my phone line sorted - wrong info, wrong quotes, people turning up at the wrong time, on the wrong day, for the wrong job - claiming to be here to fix my broadband (which I don't have!!).
Mobile wireless is fine while its working but if you need them to sort a problem, its easier to buy a new dongle than hold a conversation with a non-English speaker.
I had to phone for the userid and pswd to configure the modem and got through to an American accent(ed) guy. He was very helpful and everything worked after that.

Will have to see what happens when things go pear shaped. Although that's the reason why I went with cable in the UK - very few problems compared with ADSL.

Cable is usually stable.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Surprisingly good - got my IP4 from them because of a deal and have had no problems so far, when my internet us up for renewal I'll check them out - the current plans look OK.

Didn't used to like them as a carrier, although I worked in their network systems once and found them OK to work (well contract) for.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 7:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I've never used them for landline or internet as their reputation is appalling but I moved my mobile from 3 to Telstra - mainly because of their excellent NextG national coverage. I now have a HTC Desire (thinking man's iPhone) on a $49 business cap that gives me more than 3 and 1 Gb of data. I also got a $200 cash 'bribe" to move from 3. So far, so good. The monthly paper bill is hard to decipher but that is the only issue I have had. If I have a query I go to the T-life shop in the CBD and they have always been helpful in there.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 7:16 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I've used them for over 5 years and the OH forever ... no issues ... the broadband ain't the best value around but it is reliable, and that is worth a bit to me. Others may be reliable too but why rock the boat?

Their broadband plans have just changed, I was previously on a 25GB ADSL 2+ plan (up and downloads) and have changed to 50GB for $20 less a month.

I guess the acid test is if you have a service/billing issue and that hasn't been a problem for us.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've never used them for landline or internet as their reputation is appalling but I moved my mobile from 3 to Telstra - mainly because of their excellent NextG national coverage. I now have a HTC Desire (thinking man's iPhone) on a $49 business cap that gives me more than 3 and 1 Gb of data. I also got a $200 cash 'bribe" to move from 3. So far, so good. The monthly paper bill is hard to decipher but that is the only issue I have had. If I have a query I go to the T-life shop in the CBD and they have always been helpful in there.
We're hoping their Next G coverage will be good as we can hardly get a signal here with Vodaphone. We have to stand outside in a certain spot and then it still disconnects. So here's hoping.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

We used them for the time we were in Oz. No issues at all.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
(thinking man's iPhone)
Mrs has Android and its nice enough (and I love Linux on which its based) but on balance I like my first iPhone

I think enough at work

Last edited by freebo; Oct 15th 2010 at 8:14 am.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

shockingly bad in my experience.

very good for others - par for the course it seems.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

We found them ok until we made the mistake of buying a T hub and all the stories of bad service and cock ups suddenly made sense!
Old Oct 15th 2010, 8:28 am
Bexleyheath to Brisbane

sarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nice

My experience has been appalling. I have been without Internet for coming up 4 weeks now since moving house and have phoned about 10 times but still no closer to resolving the issue whatever that may be as no one seems to know!!! I would change provider but Telstra have bought rights to broadband where I live. It doesn't help that they outsource to the Philippines either!!! Sorry for the rant but I have wasted another 93 minutes of my life on the phone to them today - painful!!!!
Old Oct 15th 2010, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sarahl322
My experience has been appalling. I have been without Internet for coming up 4 weeks now since moving house and have phoned about 10 times but still no closer to resolving the issue whatever that may be as no one seems to know!!! I would change provider but Telstra have bought rights to broadband where I live. It doesn't help that they outsource to the Philippines either!!! Sorry for the rant but I have wasted another 93 minutes of my life on the phone to them today - painful!!!!
Sorry to hear that. Sent you good luck Karma.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 8:41 am
Bexleyheath to Brisbane

sarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nicesarahl322 is just really nice
Smile Re: What's your experience with Telstra been like?

Sorry to hear that. Sent you good luck Karma.
Thanks!!!! I think I need more than luck - prob doesn't help that I am pregnant and hormonal either!!!! If I had the guy in front of me today I think I would have punched him!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.