Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dolphin Wild or Tangalooma Resort Day Trip - Brisbane

Dolphin Wild or Tangalooma Resort Day Trip - Brisbane

Old May 26th 2006, 9:52 am
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice
Default Dolphin Wild or Tangalooma Resort Day Trip - Brisbane

Hi

Has anyone got any experience of either Dolphin Wild or Tangalooma Resort Day Trip? We were planning on going on the Tangalooma Resort Day trip, however I have read some bad reports about (more of it seems directed at the poor accomodation, prices of food etc) and some say the Dolphin feeding is a bit robotic etc. The other place I have seen is Dolphin Wild which is more or less the same but without the Dolphin feeding.
Anyone got any recommendations? We are off to Brissie tomorrow so its a bit late for the posting!!

cheers
Old May 26th 2006, 10:39 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dolphin Wild or Tangalooma Resort Day Trip - Brisbane

Originally Posted by frogboy
Hi

Has anyone got any experience of either Dolphin Wild or Tangalooma Resort Day Trip? We were planning on going on the Tangalooma Resort Day trip, however I have read some bad reports about (more of it seems directed at the poor accomodation, prices of food etc) and some say the Dolphin feeding is a bit robotic etc. The other place I have seen is Dolphin Wild which is more or less the same but without the Dolphin feeding.
Anyone got any recommendations? We are off to Brissie tomorrow so its a bit late for the posting!!

cheers
I've never been to Tangalooma but an Aussie mate of mine has and she loved it
Old May 26th 2006, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

ali n ali has a spectacular aura aboutali n ali has a spectacular aura aboutali n ali has a spectacular aura about

Hi

cheers

We went to the tangalooma resort in 2002 and it was really great . We both had a fantastic time , I'm sure you will as well if you go .

Nearly got eaten by a shark ( I think ) there as well , went snorkelling down the far end of the beach , near some wrecks , what seemed like a 1000 fish flipped out of the water just near me , so I thought if they dont wanna be there neither do I , and legged it .
But the dolphin experience on the evening was really good , and yes it could be seen to be robotic , but I think its in the interest of the dolphins that the humans are herded and are controlled .
Old May 26th 2006, 11:55 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

cheers
Tangalooma is lovely. The beach there is beautiful, the only "tropical" looking beach easily (relatively) accessible in the Brisbane area. The cafe's in the resort are awful. The restaurant is quite nice but won't be open until after you leave.

When we went, they had Northerly winds, which, apparantly is very unusual, so if we hadn't jumped, the waves would have been over our heads when we fed the dolphins. Usually you just go in up to your knees. Made it a bit more interesting, though.

Jane
Old May 26th 2006, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

cheers
We went to Tangalooma last September but actually stayed a couple of nights so have no experience of the day trip, although there were plenty of people on our crossing going for the day.
The dolphin feeding is quite robotic but they couldn't just let everyone in the water at once as it would be too much for the dolphins I guess. We had to go into the water quite deep and they had to hold my 10 yr old up as it was too deep, but apparantly it is only usually knee deep. Trust us to pick a bad time.
I would definitely go again.
Old May 26th 2006, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

I went on the Tangalooma whale watching trip from Brissie last year, and you got to spend an hour or so at the resort before heading back to the mainland.
Seemed like a lovely place, plenty of people around and a nice place to relax for a day - dunno if there'd be much to do for longer than that though.
The bar served a nice glass of sparkly so couldn't complain
Old May 26th 2006, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

martynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nicemartynm is just really nice

Hi

cheers
Went to Tangalooma last Feb and had a great time ! Give it a whirl
Old May 27th 2006, 9:08 am
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

The extended day trip to Tangalooma is well worth it. About $140 if i remember rightly.
We paid the extra and went on the sand tobogganing tour to where the big sand dunes are. Cost about $17 but the ride there and back was better than any roller coaster i've been on!!! :scared:
The afternoon was spent swimming in the many pools around the resort and generally just walking around.
The feeding is amazing if, like me, you have never actually seen dolphins in the wild.
Wash your hands, get your fish, three or four of you walk into the water and feed the dolphins, then out again.
Very brief, but if you are on the extended day trip you get to go first as the boat sometimes leaves before everybody's finished feeding.
Wherever you go, i'm sure you'll love it.
Have a great time.
Attached Thumbnails Dolphin Wild or Tangalooma Resort Day Trip - Brisbane-tangalooma5.jpg   Dolphin Wild or Tangalooma Resort Day Trip - Brisbane-tangalooma10.jpg  
Old May 27th 2006, 9:31 am
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Been to Tangalooma twice and would definately recommend it. The accommodation isnt brilliant but bearable for few nights.

Joex
Old May 27th 2006, 9:49 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Thought you might like to see these photos of Tangalooma.

1. My 3 kids handfeeding the wild dolphins.
2. My eldest daughter sand tobogganing.
3. The view from our hotel room.
4. View from the hotel gardens.
5. View from the top of the island looking over Moreton Bay.

Bear is mind that you can only handfeed the dolphins if you are staying at least 1 night. If you are on a day trip you can only watch them being fed.

Julie. x
Attached Thumbnails Dolphin Wild or Tangalooma Resort Day Trip - Brisbane-scan0023.jpg   Dolphin Wild or Tangalooma Resort Day Trip - Brisbane-sand-tobogganing.jpg   Dolphin Wild or Tangalooma Resort Day Trip - Brisbane-scan0031.jpg   Dolphin Wild or Tangalooma Resort Day Trip - Brisbane-tangalooma.jpg   Dolphin Wild or Tangalooma Resort Day Trip - Brisbane-scan0001.jpg  

Old May 27th 2006, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
Thought you might like to see these photos of Tangalooma.

1. My 3 kids handfeeding the wild dolphins.
2. My eldest daughter sand tobogganing.
3. The view from our hotel room.
4. View from the hotel gardens.
5. View from the top of the island looking over Moreton Bay.

Bear is mind that you can only handfeed the dolphins if you are staying at least 1 night. If you are on a day trip you can only watch them being fed.

Julie. x

thank you for the photos and information, have just seen the resort in the travel book today, i will be seriously thinking about a trip there.
Mandy
Old May 27th 2006, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Julie. x[/QUOTE]

When we were there there were people on the day trip that hand fed the dolphins. They just went first and had to order and pay for their photos beforehand then they got posted to them.
Old May 28th 2006, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to allMandy&Cliff is a name known to all

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
thank you for the photos and information, have just seen the resort in the travel book today, i will be seriously thinking about a trip there.
Mandy
We went to Tangalooma last year, as others have said part of the resort is a bit tired but good non the less, we stayed in a villa on the beach that was privately owned we paid about half the price the resort wanted to charge us and you still get to use the resort facilities, found the villa advertised in Brisbane paper. PM me if you want details I am sure I could find it again.
Old May 28th 2006, 8:43 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mand8002

Julie. x
When we were there there were people on the day trip that hand fed the dolphins. They just went first and had to order and pay for their photos beforehand then they got posted to them.[/QUOTE]

Aah, the rules must have changed then. It was a couple of years ago that we went though
Old May 28th 2006, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandy&Cliff
We went to Tangalooma last year, as others have said part of the resort is a bit tired but good non the less, we stayed in a villa on the beach that was privately owned we paid about half the price the resort wanted to charge us and you still get to use the resort facilities, found the villa advertised in Brisbane paper. PM me if you want details I am sure I could find it again.
Thanks we are starting to do our wish list for our visit in October , we will be staying initialy in Albury so we have to take distance into account.
I will pm when we are sorted.
Mandy